Value of: Erik Karlsson - UFA. Will it happen? Where does he end up?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I can absolutely see him signing in Vancouver
The canucks will give him what he wants basically, and they need a cornerstone D-man to work with hughes.
That is my outside shot team

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I can absolutely see him signing in Vancouver
The canucks will give him what he wants basically, and they need a cornerstone D-man to work with hughes.
That is my outside shot team
There is almost no chance he signs in Vancouver. He has suggested in the past he wants to be closer to his wife's side of the family (or eastern seaboard)

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
What we said after we traded for Duchene ....Look you can tell yourself whatever you want ,but you guys need to sign him or this deal doesnt look good ...Iam not trying to burst your bubble or to try and make you feel bad ,but this deal is an overpayment on a rental ..Even if it was for a full season ,because at the end of it you guys will have nothing ...And we will have 2 of your last 5 seasons 1st,s and a high 2nd along with everything else

We aren’t going to be the sens by next season lol.

We won’t have “nothing.” We’ll have had a great shot at a cup if nothing else. I’d rather have that than a couple draft picks that maybe some day could possibly give us a potential shot at a cup 5 years from now.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
He won't sign on the UFA market. Superstars don't leave ship, they either get traded or stay with their team. Tavares was an anomaly.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I would like to see him in Tampa, just I cant fathom how that will be possible. No way to fit him under our cap structure. Unless he wants to take a massive discount, then I'd love for him to be the cornerstone of our defense with his best friend Hedman for the next 10 years or so.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I would like to see him in Tampa, just I cant fathom how that will be possible. No way to fit him under our cap structure. Unless he wants to take a massive discount, then I'd love for him to be the cornerstone of our defense with his best friend Hedman for the next 10 years or so.

Just trade Stamkos for something young, shiny and cost-controlled. Use the cap on EK65.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We aren’t going to be the sens by next season lol.

We won’t have “nothing.” We’ll have had a great shot at a cup if nothing else. I’d rather have that than a couple draft picks that maybe some day could possibly give us a potential shot at a cup 5 years from now.
Nothing would make me happier than him signing in SJ and you guys going to the cup ,it turns your 2nd into another 1st...

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
Nothing would make me happier than him signing in SJ and you guys going to the cup ,it turns your 2nd into another 1st...

Yeah, if all the escalators hit it makes it a much more respectable haul for the Sens while also making it much better for the Sharks too (won a cup and/or locked up EK). Would be a best case scenario for all.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Then there are other players who can come off the cap. Stralman and Miller for example.

I'm not sure you understand how this works. Stralman technically is off the cap, all they have to do is not resign him.

According to Cap friendly, Tampa has $6.376 million in Cap Space right now for next year, with 16 people signed. The cap is likely to go up, estimated by $3.5 million, which gives them $10 million, to sign 7 guys... and then Vasilevsky will need a raise the year after, as will Sergachev. EK would be one heck of an addition, but I'm not sure the dollars work, without some fairly massive trades.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Then why doesn’t he sign with SJ where he can win and they won’t have to gut their team to fit him in?

Because TB is closer? TB wouldnt have to gut their team, would trade away a couple of guys who were/are not really all that detrimental to their teams success. We have good prospects ready to come in when we have to relieve the cap. Our core is still in tact though.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Because TB is closer? TB wouldnt have to gut their team, would trade away a couple of guys who were/are not really all that detrimental to their teams success. We have good prospects ready to come in when we have to relieve the cap. Our core is still in tact though.
Like who? Who are you going to trade?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Like who? Who are you going to trade?

If we want Karlsson, we will have to have a few things happen. All not impossible. Point needs to take a discount. Guys before him took discounts on their second contracts. He could very well do the same and follow what the guys before him did to help the team out. Next we trade Callahan and one of Miller/Gourde. Maybe both if we want more space. All doable things.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Does Montreal make sense as an outside shot?

We have the cap, and the need for a game changing OFD. Close to Ottawa, so he can be close to his wife's family. I'd happily give him 12x7 as a starting point.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
If we want Karlsson, we will have to have a few things happen. All not impossible. Point needs to take a discount. Guys before him took discounts on their second contracts. He could very well do the same and follow what the guys before him did to help the team out. Next we trade Callahan and one of Miller/Gourde. Maybe both if we want more space. All doable things.
Who is going to take Callahan at 6M per year? Why does Point take a huge discount when he has seen comparable players get 7-10M? I get it, tax free, blah blah blah, but I still can't see him signing for less than 7.5M.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
What we said after we traded for Duchene ....Look you can tell yourself whatever you want ,but you guys need to sign him or this deal doesnt look good ...Iam not trying to burst your bubble or to try and make you feel bad ,but this deal is an overpayment on a rental ..Even if it was for a full season ,because at the end of it you guys will have nothing ...And we will have 2 of your last 5 seasons 1st,s and a high 2nd along with everything else

It's ok if you feel the need to justify trading a generational defenseman for a bunch of nonessential pieces and the mighty golden ticket of draft picks (ask Minny how theirs worked out from the Burns deal) then more power to you. Yes, the Sens got long term value but they also aren't into the Cup hunt like the Sharks are so it's well worth the risk for them. Again, these were nonessential assets to the team. They are as likely (and have been in recent years) to find the same caliber NHL talent in the later rounds as they have with late 1st and second round picks so thanks for the concern about their future but it really isn't warranted

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Who is going to take Callahan at 6M per year? Why does Point take a huge discount when he has seen comparable players get 7-10M? I get it, tax free, blah blah blah, but I still can't see him signing for less than 7.5M.

Well I'll say this, we had Stamkos, Hedman and Kucherov take less. Kuch took substantially less on his second deal. Nobody expected these to happen including our own fans. I'm not going to doubt that they can get him at a number they like. As for Callahan he is useful for a year. Tb could add if they need to. I'm not going to sit here and say we will sign Karlsson but if we want to it's not impossible.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
It's ok if you feel the need to justify trading a generational defenseman for a bunch of nonessential pieces and the mighty golden ticket of draft picks (ask Minny how theirs worked out from the Burns deal) then more power to you. Yes, the Sens got long term value but they also aren't into the Cup hunt like the Sharks are so it's well worth the risk for them. Again, these were nonessential assets to the team. They are as likely (and have been in recent years) to find the same caliber NHL talent in the later rounds as they have with late 1st and second round picks so thanks for the concern about their future but it really isn't warranted
It was never ok ....But you guys going on about how much a steal it was is a little much ,and if you dont sign him and win nothing what then??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad