Value of: Erik Karlsson - UFA. Will it happen? Where does he end up?

NoOffense

Nov 5, 2014
Erik said himself that the Sharks were way better than he had thought before the trade so I don't think he doubts the Sharks ability to win. I believe it all comes down to wheather Melinda likes it in San Jose or not.

Reactions: Gecklund

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
I think if he wants to get paid he will sign with San Jose. If he wants the best chance to win the Cup he gets paid less and signs with Tampa .

Tampa is already about $13,000,000 over the cap next year.

They'll have to replace like 4 guys with ELC's without getting Karlsson.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm sure you know much better than me where the Sharks are actually heading, but for EK to sign contract there has to be proven success in the playoffs this year. If it wasn't important for him, he would have already signed the extension.

I guess that depends on how one defines proven success in this context. The Sharks were a second round team last year without Karlsson. They were a playoff team the year before but injuries did them in. They were a Finals team the year before that. I think they've proven themselves as a team that can succeed in the playoffs. It's a matter of things lining up like it is with all teams. If you're not healthy when the playoffs come, good luck. If Karlsson's groin doesn't heal before the playoffs, the Sharks still have a chance to move forward through the playoffs but it'll be tougher without him especially if their defense and puck management doesn't tighten up.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Erik said himself that the Sharks were way better than he had thought before the trade so I don't think he doubts the Sharks ability to win. I believe it all comes down to wheather Melinda likes it in San Jose or not.

It might come down to if he likes it there or not.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
It might come down to if he likes it there or not.
It really comes down to the wife. She will spend more time at home base than he will during the season. That said, the lack of an eight year extension signing, now that the TDL has passed, is likely telling. At this point, I expect they will be moving east over the summer.

Reactions: gab6511

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
It really comes down to the wife. She will spend more time at home base than he will during the season. That said, the lack of an eight year extension signing, now that the TDL has passed, is likely telling. At this point, I expect they will be moving east over the summer.

Lol sorry if he decides to leave you can’t blame the wife. He was upset when he got traded because he didn’t get to pick where he played not because mean Melnyk made him leave Ottawa, he has a plan of where he wants to go,always has. Now that might change based on money or he might settle in and like where he is.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
I said before that I expected a contract soon after the deadline and if one doesn't come then somethings gone off and I would be worried. I'm still sticking with that, and I'm getting worried.

There are very few possible options for where he can get a huge contract and play for a top team. Considering he has now been in SJ for awhile and got to know the team and the organization, staying in SJ would have to be the clear top option assuming he is not put off by what he has seen here, and based on what so many acquired players have said about the team and the organization I can't imagine his experience has been bad.

So is he not too concerned about getting top dollar and is willing to take less to play somewhere else? Doesn't care as much about winning and would go for more money to play with a weaker team? I pretty much never believe it when a player or GM says they want to just "focus on the season" and suggest everything is fine and they will work it out later. As if the GM can't possibly find time or focus to chat with an agent, when that is an essential part of their job and in this case it would be discussing a cornerstone franchise player.

If I had to guess, I think after the slow start and the injuries SJ is less open to the whole blank check thing and finding a dollar amount has become more difficult than expected. Might be a combination of SJ offering less than they may have initially been open to and EK wanting more games / playoffs to prove again he is worth what he wants.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Lol sorry if he decides to leave you can’t blame the wife. He was upset when he got traded because he didn’t get to pick where he played not because mean Melnyk made him leave Ottawa, he has a plan of where he wants to go,always has. Now that might change based on money or he might settle in and like where he is.

Well, that’s the exact opposite of the truth.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Well, that’s the exact opposite of the truth.

Ya he grabbed the puck off the ice in his last game with a year left on his contract by mistake, he refused to talk to the sens or respond to contract negotiations because “he loves the city and the fans” and wants to stay there forever.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I said before that I expected a contract soon after the deadline and if one doesn't come then somethings gone off and I would be worried. I'm still sticking with that, and I'm getting worried.

There are very few possible options for where he can get a huge contract and play for a top team. Considering he has now been in SJ for awhile and got to know the team and the organization, staying in SJ would have to be the clear top option assuming he is not put off by what he has seen here, and based on what so many acquired players have said about the team and the organization I can't imagine his experience has been bad.

So is he not too concerned about getting top dollar and is willing to take less to play somewhere else? Doesn't care as much about winning and would go for more money to play with a weaker team? I pretty much never believe it when a player or GM says they want to just "focus on the season" and suggest everything is fine and they will work it out later. As if the GM can't possibly find time or focus to chat with an agent, when that is an essential part of their job and in this case it would be discussing a cornerstone franchise player.

If I had to guess, I think after the slow start and the injuries SJ is less open to the whole blank check thing and finding a dollar amount has become more difficult than expected. Might be a combination of SJ offering less than they may have initially been open to and EK wanting more games / playoffs to prove again he is worth what he wants.
Both EK and DW said not to expect a contract soon. They are focused on the playoff run. Neither sounded worried about it though.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
Both EK and DW said not to expect a contract soon. They are focused on the playoff run. Neither sounded worried about it though.

Yeah, and perhaps that works for some, but when comments about being just focused on the season or playoffs are made, I am concerned about why. Other playoff bound teams are resigning their players. If you have a pending UFA in a player of EKs quality why would a GM really want to wait that long. If you are a player and want to stay with your current team, would you really tell your agent you don't want them working on anything / hear about them working on anything? Sure they are focused on the playoffs, but I don't buy that a contract isn't here or coming soon because of that, unless it's an important factor in coming to an agreement on dollars.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yeah, and perhaps that works for some, but when comments about being just focused on the season or playoffs are made, I am concerned about why. Other playoff bound teams are resigning their players. If you have a pending UFA in a player of EKs quality why would a GM really want to wait that long. If you are a player and want to stay with your current team, would you really tell your agent you don't want them working on anything / hear about them working on anything? Sure they are focused on the playoffs, but I don't buy that a contract isn't here or coming soon because of that, unless it's an important factor in coming to an agreement on dollars.
I’m guessing they’re working on stuff. In my mind, this is what the Sharks always do. When they are knocked out of the playoffs, they announce some big thing to make the fans happy again. This is the thing. The Sharks rarely sign their players during the season.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

I think its clear that he wants to at least see his options. He went through all that crap with Ottawa and got traded out west. Not saying he doesnt want to be there but I bet he wants to at least see whats out there. The thing the Sharks have going for them is he has been there and knows it well now. Team is good. He can get the 8 years there. I just think he wants to see what other options there are. I can still see him going back to SJ though. UFA is something these guys (guys like Karlsson) dont get to experience too often. Stamkos explored it first before re-signing in TB. Could see Karlsson do the same.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Ya he grabbed the puck off the ice in his last game with a year left on his contract by mistake, he refused to talk to the sens or respond to contract negotiations because “he loves the city and the fans” and wants to stay there forever.
He had meetings with Sharks and Doug Wilson prior to the trade where they talked about playing and living in San Jose etc. He had a lot to say when it came to where he got traded.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I think it all depends on how deep the sharks run goes. If he thinks he has a legit shot i imagine he stays and if he thinks the sharks window is closed or closing i imagine he walks.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

Start at 3:00

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Wings will have the money and need a number 1 D, it was a trick move sending Gus out there for the playoffs to bring him to Detroit lol. What? We can dream right??

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
It's between San Jose and Las Vegas and the Golden Knights added to their sales pitch with Mark Stone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad