Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread III - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I'd perfer Yzerman just make his final offer and then move on. I'd like to see him make an addition up front if EK isn't an option. Maybe someone with a year left on their deal, but get them for the whole season and then look at EK in the offseason if he's interested in coming to TB.

I don't care how confidant Yzerman might be that he signs here, if he isn't willing to do a sign and trade, you just don't deal with it. Too risky to give up the kind of assets he will likely command with no guarantee he's on your team next year.
Im 99% sure Yzerman isnt trading for EK as a rental. The problem is moving out guys like Killorn and Callahan to other teams than Ottawa so Tampa can afford Karlssons next contract.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
If teams would just up their offers and stopping low-balling this would be done already or if Dorion stops asking for the moon this would be done already.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Im 99% sure Yzerman isnt trading for EK as a rental. The problem is moving out guys like Killorn and Callahan to other teams than Ottawa so Tampa can afford Karlssons next contract.
I mean I agree that he isn't trading for him as a rental but with it being reported that he's not likely to sign an immediate extension with any team he's dealt to, do you even risk it at all? Like I said, it doesn't matter what the player tells you his intentions are (because those can change) or how confidant you are he'll sign with you, unless you have a guarantee (in the form of a sign and trade) you just don't move a guy like Sergachev. I'd even be hesitant to give up Foote without an extension in place.

That's no disrespect to Karlsson, but I feel like those assets would be better used for help up front if we weren't getting term.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Dubcanesfan

Jan 6, 2016
I think when he is traded there won't be any kind of build up, everyone is just gonna check their phones and boom it'll be a done deal. Could happen today, could happen in a month, could happen at the deadline.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think this goes to the trade deadline just so that the Lightning can fit him under the cap without having to trade anybody

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Erik Karlsson scoring the Game 4 OT goal to eliminate the Bolts in Round 2 and sending the Leafs to the Conference Finals is going to be glorious.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Dorion has every right to ask for the moon.

He does have every right to ask for the moon. That doesnt mean he will get that. Right now it seems Karlsson is the one holding the keys. If he doesnt want to extend with anybody right now then the return is not going to be as good. Risky to trade a player of Sergachev, Heiskenan, or Glass caliber when you arent sure if hes going to re-sign or not. Also why would a team like Vegas or Dallas trade one of those guys for Karlsson as a rental when their contention status is up in the air. I think both teams are excellent and both have a lot of talent, but I dont know if I put them in contention status right at this moment. VGK just lost a couple of good players, who knows how their second season will go. Dallas has some holes on the wing, D and Bishop needs to stay healthy. So if they arent giving those guys they will likely give something from their rosters and picks. That could also hurt their chances for contention unless Karlsson carries them like he did with Ottawa that one year. Same thing with TB too really. They dont want to give up pieces that could hurt in the long run for 1 year of Karlsson. I mean they could but SY usually isnt that risky. I think this drags out for a while.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Erik Karlsson scoring the Game 4 OT goal to eliminate the Bolts in Round 2 and sending the Leafs to the Conference Finals is going to be glorious.
I have bad news for you if you think a series between the two would really end in 4 games.

Reactions: haveandare

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Everything points to EK wanting to try the market next year.
He wants out of Ottawa, it won’t negotiate or sign an extension with a new team if traded, and by all accounts is hesitant or unwilling to agree to a sign and trade.
He’ll likely get moved by Ottawa at some point, for an underwhelming return, and, in my opinion, will be UFA July 1st.
Then he get to choose his team and get paid at the same time.

ps: weird times when Tavares leaves the Isles as a UFA and now Karlsson is going to be leaving the Sens, likely the same way.
When was the last time, 2 top tier players walked in UFA within a year of each other?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
ps: weird times when Tavares leaves the Isles as a UFA and now Karlsson is going to be leaving the Sens, likely the same way.
When was the last time, 2 top tier players walked in UFA within a year of each other?

Neidermeyer and Chara? (although I am guessing many would (fairly) say Chara wasn't the defenseman he became after he signed with Boston when he signed, but he still was a better the average UFA signing)

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com

There is basically zero chance that Ottawa let's Karlsson walk as a UFA. He'll be traded, he may not get great value, but he'll be traded.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Kind of the opposite when it comes to the tax benefits of signing in TB is getting traded out of TB and decreasing your take home pay.

Callahan has only a mntc so he can be moved. Killorn likely not interested in getting moved plus he has a full ntc.

As for Dallas, outside of heiskenen, their prospects don’t appear to great. Going back 5 years to nuk, honka, gurianov, tufte, oettinger, Robertson, and heir most recent pick Ty C, not exactly lighting the league that they are in on fire.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
If Dorion is smart he’ll leverage an offer from DW centered around Meier++ and see if it gets the other teams to budge. Betting this thing drags out until September like Heatleys whole ordeal.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
There is basically zero chance that Ottawa let's Karlsson walk as a UFA. He'll be traded, he may not get great value, but he'll be traded.
I agree. With Tavares I think the Isles were clinging to hope of him re-signing

phil7488

We're back
Mar 3, 2011
DFW
I would rather Dallas sign Panarin than EK. We need secondary scoring and yes EK would provide that but Panarin would provide the same, cost less and not cost Heiskanen in a return.
This is the camp I'm in as well. Especially if EK isn't doing a sign and trade. Not even close to worth it IMO. EK would be a luxury for the Stars but it doesn't address a need. A scoring winger and/or long term 2c does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad