Player Discussion Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread | Part IV | Foot Surgery Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
OEL being offered 8 years 8.25M by ARZ per McKenzie. Granted, with defenders it isn't all about production, but it is a big part of the puzzle. OEL has puts up about 40-45 points per season, with a career high of 55 points. He plays about 3 minutes less a game than Karlsson.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
No Karlsson negotiation news.. we hear news about OEL and we heard some news on Doughty... nothing on Karlsson... We have not heard much of anything from the Sens since the Boucher news other than some bits around the Draft prep and the combine interviews

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
TSN video of Gino Reda and Craig Button talking about the options for the Sens at #4 in the draft (they say a whole lot of nothing), but what Gino ended with was something along the lines of, "The Senator's top burner issue heading into this summer is a contract offer that Pierre Dorion is prepared to deliver to Erik Karlsson on July 1st."

Sens should say, "In honour of your relationship with Daniel Alfredsson, we're offering to pay you $11M per season for 8 years."

How could EK say no to that? It's fool proof!

Reactions: Flamingo

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Sounds like a 10M-11M cap hit for Doughty is a possibility. If that happens, that's a positive for us. If Doughty gets 10.5M x 8 years, while I don't think it exactly sets a ceiling since Karlsson is the better more productive player, but it creates a reality where Karlsson has to be somewhere close to that if he wants to stay.

Karlsson can pretty much ask for whatever he wants, but that can be said of most big name UFAs. 12M x 8 wouldn't be that out of line, but I think 11M x 8 years would be fair for both sides. In terms of guaranteed money, Karlsson would have to get about 12M on the open market to make up for the 7 year limit.

Los Angeles is reportedly making some progress in contract talks with Drew Doughty.

"Talks are going well but not to the point where I think he's going to reset the bar as many expected with Erik Karlsson also coming up in 2019," said Sportsnet's Nick Kypreos. Doughty mentioned in November that he wanted to talk numbers with Karlsson. He also said he would prefer to get more than P.K. Subban's $9 million annual salary. "They understand in LA that Kopitar is the highest paid at $10 million but he will not get much higher than that, [maybe] 10-and-a-half, 11," Kypreos added. "But if they're going to compete ... it can't go past a Connor McDavid contract." Doughty can become an unrestricted free agent after the 2018-19 season and he can sign an extension with the Kings as early as July 1. Jun 4 - 11:11 AM
Source: Sportsnet.ca

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
He'll get 11+ easily if the Sens have new ownership.

If he's aware of the possibility of Melnyk leaving, why would he consider signing prior to the sale if the team?

Regardless of new ownership, it all depends on what he wants. If he thinks a team is close to the cup maybe he takes less than what he's worth. Perhaps he just wants to be paid and signs with a team for top dollar.

Edit: Personally with all things considered, it'll likely take new ownership willing to pay him fair dollar and with a convincing plan to keep him here. Don't see why anyone with his talents would take less.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hands of Stone

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Regardless of new ownership, it all depends on what he wants. If he thinks a team is close to the cup maybe he takes less than what he's worth. Perhaps he just wants to be paid and signs with a team for top dollar.

Edit: Personally with all things considered, it'll likely take new ownership willing to pay him fair dollar and with a convincing plan to keep him here. Don't see why anyone with his talents would take less.
If he stays I would guess 10 million a year. If he leaves upwards of 11 million, maybe even 100 million a year. maybe.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
If he stays I would guess 10 million a year. If he leaves upwards of 11 million, maybe even 100 million a year. maybe.

If he stays 10-12 mill a year on a 3-5 yr term is prob with a convincing plan from ownership. If he wants to play for Tampa or a team on the verge of winning then maybe 8-11 on a shorter term.

We as fans picked Ottawa as our team, Ottawa picked Karlsson... He didn't pick Ottawa.

Reactions: InDucheWeTrust

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
If he stays 10-12 mill a year on a 3-5 yr term is prob with a convincing plan from ownership. If he wants to play for Tampa or a team on the verge of winning then maybe 8-11 on a shorter term.

We as fans picked Ottawa as our team, Ottawa picked Karlsson... He didn't pick Ottawa.
Why wouldn't he load up on money and term, if he stays he can sign 8 years and if he leaves only for 7. To me that would be necessary for any negotiation.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Why wouldn't he load up on money and term, if he stays he can sign 8 years and if he leaves only for 7. To me that would be necessary for any negotiation.
images

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

It sucks but it is what it is at this point. Karlsson in Ottawa is basically a lose/lose situation under this current ownership. Either, we trade him and get what'll not be a great return relative to what Karlsson brings, or we re-sign him to a monster contract and have trouble competing with all the bad money we have on the books.

The deadline rumour was something like two 1sts, a conditional pick, and our choice of their top prospects for Karlsson and possibly Vegas taking Ryan. Judging by some of the things said, I think OTT wants to get an actual sure thing NHL player back in the trade, so maybe they can negotiate up for Theodore.

I'd guess if we get a bit of a bidding war going, maybe we get something like Theodore/Glass/2019 1st/Conditional 2020 1st/Clarkson for Karlsson/Ryan. That's assuming Clarkson is insured similar to MacArthur with the real money owed being under 1M. Vegas was one of the teams mentioned at the deadline in relation to Zack Smith, so maybe we hamfist him into the trade.

If we're going to trade Karlsson, I hope we find a way to get our 2019 1st back from COL. Maybe by targeting EDM's 10th overall, and then trading COL that in exchange for our 2019 1st. Unless we get some pesky luck going, we're going to stink without Karlsson.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It sucks but it is what it is at this point. Karlsson in Ottawa is basically a lose/lose situation under this current ownership. Either, we trade him and get what'll not be a great return relative to what Karlsson brings, or we re-sign him to a monster contract and have trouble competing with all the bad money we have on the books.

The deadline rumour was something like two 1sts, a conditional pick, and our choice of their top prospects for Karlsson and possibly Vegas taking Ryan. Judging by some of the things said, I think OTT wants to get an actual sure thing NHL player back in the trade, so maybe they can negotiate up for Theodore.

I'd guess if we get a bit of a bidding war going, maybe we get something like Theodore/Glass/2019 1st/Conditional 2020 1st/Clarkson for Karlsson/Ryan. That's assuming Clarkson is insured similar to MacArthur with the real money owed being under 1M. Vegas was one of the teams mentioned at the deadline in relation to Zack Smith, so maybe we hamfist him into the trade.

If we're going to trade Karlsson, I hope we find a way to get our 2019 1st back from COL. Maybe by targeting EDM's 10th overall, and then trading COL that in exchange for our 2019 1st. Unless we get some pesky luck going, we're going to stink without Karlsson.
Combining the Duchene trade with a Karlsson trade to get our 1st back from Colorado would be the funniest/saddest hockey story of the century.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

For what it's worth, the rumoured deal with vegas was Karlsson and Ryan for our choice of a prospect, two firsts, and a third first that was conditional on them re-signing Karlsson.

So, 30th OA this year, and say something in the area of 20 the next two years, and lets say Cody Glass.

The sad part is that deal is actually not too bad if we were a cap team capable of drawing UFA. Opening up ~14 mil in cap space (not including what it would have taken to sign Karlsson, just his current hit and Ryan's) would mean we could go after Tavares for example. Alternatively, we could chase Carlson, and de-Haan

Hoffman-Duchene-White
Zadina?-Brown-Stone
Dzingel-Pageau-Glass
Paajarvi-Smith-Pyatt

Chabot-Carlson
de-Haan-Ceci
Wolanin-Boro

Trading Karlsson is something a team could recover from (still not ideal) but we have far more problems than just trading Karlsson

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
For what it's worth, the rumoured deal with vegas was Karlsson and Ryan for our choice of a prospect, two firsts, and a third first that was conditional on them re-signing Karlsson.

So, 30th OA this year, and say something in the area of 20 the next two years, and lets say Cody Glass.

The sad part is that deal is actually not too bad if we were a cap team capable of drawing UFA. Opening up ~14 mil in cap space (not including what it would have taken to sign Karlsson, just his current hit and Ryan's) would mean we could go after Tavares for example. Alternatively, we could chase Carlson, and de-Haan

Hoffman-Duchene-White
Zadina?-Brown-Stone
Dzingel-Pageau-Glass
Paajarvi-Smith-Pyatt

Chabot-Carlson
de-Haan-Ceci
Wolanin-Boro

Trading Karlsson is something a team could recover from (still not ideal) but we have far more problems than just trading Karlsson
If that was the rumored offer,then its pretty fair ....Trading EK would suck ,but at least the return would be something that could give the fanbase some hope

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

Hoffman-Duchene-White
Zadina?-Brown-Stone
Dzingel-Pageau-Glass
Paajarvi-Smith-Pyatt

Chabot-Carlson
de-Haan-Ceci
Wolanin-Boro

Elliott Friedman wasn't sure if it was the price for just Karl alone, or Karl+Ryan, and he thought that maybe the trade fell apart due to a disagreement about how Ryan's inclusion should affect the price, but those quotes are quite old and from right after the deadline. Everything that has come out since then such as someone backing out last minute, Ryan thinking he was traded the night before, that makes it sound like both sides really had a concrete deal in place so if I have to guess, I guess it was the price with Ryan included in the trade.

There was a lot of talk about the Senators wanting an NHL player in a deal for Karlsson. Mainly stemming from the rumours around TBL trading for Karlsson and the Lightning being unwilling to give up anybody on their roster other than superstar forward Vlad Namestnikov. That, combined with Vegas moving some picks to DET is why I think maybe we'd try to push for one less 1st round pick, and Shea Theodore in the place of that pick.

It's pretty much a lose-lose situation in my mind. So we keep Karlsson, we're probably going to have an incredibly hard time competing with our restrictive budget and incredibly amount of dead money on the books. 4 years from now when Karl is 32 going on 33 is when we'll be free of Ryan/Phaneuf/Gaborik. If we trade Karlsson, while adding Glass, some 1sts, and getting as close as we're going to get to a clean slate by ditching Ryan's contract is a valuable return, we're losing the best player in franchise history.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Elliott Friedman wasn't sure if it was the price for just Karl alone, or Karl+Ryan, and he thought that maybe the trade fell apart due to a disagreement about how Ryan's inclusion should affect the price, but those quotes are quite old and from right after the deadline. Everything that has come out since then such as someone backing out last minute, Ryan thinking he was traded the night before, that makes it sound like both sides really had a concrete deal in place so if I have to guess, I guess it was the price with Ryan included in the trade.

There was a lot of talk about the Senators wanting an NHL player in a deal for Karlsson. Mainly stemming from the rumours around TBL trading for Karlsson and the Lightning being unwilling to give up anybody on their roster other than superstar forward Vlad Namestnikov. That, combined with Vegas moving some picks to DET is why I think maybe we'd try to push for one less 1st round pick, and Shea Theodore in the place of that pick.

It's pretty much a lose-lose situation in my mind. So we keep Karlsson, we're probably going to have an incredibly hard time competing with our restrictive budget and incredibly amount of dead money on the books. 4 years from now when Karl is 32 going on 33 is when we'll be free of Ryan/Phaneuf/Gaborik. If we trade Karlsson, while adding Glass, some 1sts, and getting as close as we're going to get to a clean slate by ditching Ryan's contract is a valuable return, we're losing the best player in franchise history.
Yep,without the money cant really do a damn thing...Except become the Montreal Expos vrs 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad