Player Discussion Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread | Part IV | Foot Surgery Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
A few of my opinions.

Sign Karlsson to what ever he asks for, as long as it is within the average other players in his price range.

I have concerns about Duchene. He ended up in Ottawa because of his attitude in Colorado and now I wonder what he has done to our dressing room. I am concerned about a dressing room that plays like this.

Trade Phaneuf... he f***ed our team over. Phaneuf likely would not have been picked off during the expansion draft based on that albatross of a contract (not trade bait) and we would not have had to give up Karlsson's left hand man.

Last edited:

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Trade Phaneuf... he ****ed our team over. Phaneuf likely would not have been picked off during the expansion draft based on that albatross of a contract (not trade bait) and we would not have had to give up Karlsson's left hand man.

I hated that Dion didn't allow himself to be exposed. Did he really think that Las Vegas was going to take him and his contract?

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
If the Sens really asked for Karlsson’s no trade list and actually follow through, then I’m done with this team.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I'd hope that they have explored the possibility of a trade involving EK. His contract is coming up, he's going to command a massive deal, and this team is already not playing well together. If the rest of the available money is spent on an EK deal, with the rest of the team the same we could be in trouble.

It has to be an explored possibility, whether it's done or not is another question.

I have not been thrilled with EK's play or interviews during this slump. Lots can be lost between snippets of news and such so I'm not taking things too seriously, but there have been far too many games this season where EK has looked like Ryan, in the sense that he has a dominant spurt here and there just to let us know he CAN do it, but for some reason isn't doing it consistently.

In addition, if EK is for any reason disenamoured with Ottawa, we would have to trade him regardless of how it may affect the fan base. Under no circumstances can we let him walk for nothing, or even leave things to go into his final contract year where we lose most of the trade leverage we have.

Also, it would be common sense for the team to have all players submit their no trade lists at the start of every year, as policy. That way they don't have to tip their hands, or create controversy, by asking the player at any point in the year.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
You guys realize that methot only went for a 2nd? That was all on dorion.

Phaneuf was well within his rights.

Last edited:

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
You guys realize that we methot only went for a 2nd? That was all on dorion.

Phaneuf was well within his rights.

Phaneuf would never have been taken. The reason Vegas took Methot is because his contract is trade bait. We took Phaneuf, to get him off Toronto's books.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
If the Sens really asked for Karlsson’s no trade list and actually follow through, then I’m done with this team.

And you won't be the only one. This will be it for fans angry with Melnyk over the Alfie fiasco.

Maybe Melnyk was not happy with the Alfie quip about being an owner as much as the Karlsson comment about no home discount and maybe he wasn't keen on the idea of an Alfie/Karlsson future for the club although it is what most fans most want.

It also may be true that Melnyk would hang on until the Seattle expansion payoff, but if he has to sell or take partners at some point, trading away the best payer ever to play for the Sens and infuriating the fan base and losing season ticket holders will not make the team more valuable.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Karlsson's ankle... Rock and a hard place

Karlson's lack of mobility and related capability is NHL wide knowledge now.
Assuming it stays relatively the same all year;
  • Signing him to a long term expensive contract is a big risk especially for team with a couple expensive bad contracts already.
  • Trading him with value at a low point would require that another team be willing to take an even bigger risk.
  • If the Sens play the waiting game his value could be even worse; if his ankle and play does not improve; plus if they do want to take their time and sign him later , the willingness to test free agency may increase.
If there is any chance that Karlsson's ankle can improve with rest ... they should definitely be doing every thing they can to do that at this point this year

megalomania

Sep 29, 2010
Switzerland
It's honestly saddening to see how quickly some people on here are turning on Karlsson. Questioning his captaincy, his will and whatnot. Yes the current situation is frustrating and the outlook's bleak, but how about focusing on pretty much anything else from ownership down to the fringe forwards instead of one of the five best players in the league who just a few months ago dominated the playoffs on one leg? He was the focal point of that playoff run, unimaginable without him. He's the best defenseman in this generation. When at the top of his game he single-handedly turns this roster from a bottom 8 or so in the league into a fringe playoff team. Yes he's not that player right now and it will take him some time to find his new 100% self. Got no issue with trade proposals and such, we all fear that we might lose him soon. But questioning him as a player and as the guy this team is built around based on 15 bad games - seriously, f*** that.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Karlsson's ankle... Rock and a hard place

Karlson's lack of mobility and related capability is NHL wide knowledge now.
Assuming it stays relatively the same all year;
  • Signing him to a long term expensive contract is a big risk especially for team with a couple expensive bad contracts already.
  • Trading him with value at a low point would require that another team be willing to take an even bigger risk.
  • If the Sens play the waiting game his value could be even worse; if his ankle and play does not improve; plus if they do want to take their time and sign him later , the willingness to test free agency may increase.
If there is any chance that Karlsson's ankle can improve with rest ... they should definitely be doing every thing they can to do that at this point this year

Listen... This is not about Karlsson here. People make it about Karlsson because yes, he is struglling but this is bigger than a player and bigger than juste a few players. Eberybody on the team is playing poorly and not only playing poorly but also not giving an effort.

When Karlsson came back from his injury he wasn't the best defensively BUT he was a monster offensively. He catched up to the defensemen scoring lead in 5 games less than anyone. You cannot go from that and then go on a 11 game pointless drought. The timing of it all is also extremely odd with the trade of Turris.

This team is letting go. Somethings not right and it's not the players. The only guy giving a real effort night in and night out is Stone - and he needs a contract. All the other guys are just not even close to the same effort level.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Listen... This is not about Karlsson here. People make it about Karlsson because yes, he is struglling but this is bigger than a player and bigger than juste a few players. Eberybody on the team is playing poorly and not only playing poorly but also not giving an effort.

When Karlsson came back from his injury he wasn't the best defensively BUT he was a monster offensively. He catched up to the defensemen scoring lead in 5 games less than anyone. You cannot go from that and then go on a 11 game pointless drought. The timing of it all is also extremely odd with the trade of Turris.

This team is letting go. Somethings not right and it's not the players. The only guy giving a real effort night in and night out is Stone - and he needs a contract. All the other guys are just not even close to the same effort level.
Not sure what you are getting at.
The players are playing poorly and not giving an effort. Something is not right and its not the players. .. fill in some blanks for an old stupid guy.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Dorion keeping all his options on trade front, including Karlsson

Erik Karlsson was among a group of 10 players that has been asked to submit a 10-team ‘No Trade’ list with the NHL trade deadline set for Feb. 26.

That group includes Bobby Ryan, Nate Thompson, Mike Hoffman, Derick Brassard, Alex Burrows, Zack Smith, Nate Thompson, Dion Phaneuf and Johnny Oduya. ...

Two league sources insisted Sunday Karlsson hasn’t been offered around the league or even discussed for that matter.

Yes, Karlsson’s comments in Brooklyn 1o days ago ruffled a few feathers in the organization because he told reporters he’ll only accept what he’s worth in negotiations, but he has since backed off and indicated his top priority is to stay in Ottawa.

Karlsson clarifying his remarks a few days ago:

Karlsson: ”Dumt sagt av mig”

It was a bit stupid, but I did not mean that," he says.

I want to stay in Ottawa, it's my home and my first priority. My comment was somewhat taken from its context. It's more so that when that time comes....... you'll get what you're worth, there's nothing more about it. My priority has always been to stay here all my career. They spun it a bit in the opposite direction and unfortunately, it's the media here sometimes, he says to HockeyNews.se.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Not sure what you are getting at.
The players are playing poorly and not giving an effort. Something is not right and its not the players. .. fill in some blanks for an old stupid guy.

My feeling is the team is quitting on Boucher/management, or the morale of the team is extremely low after trading Turris. I don't think it's about Turris necessarily, but maybe it's more related to how he was treated by management after all those years of being a soldier for us.

When you're a player and you see guys like Methot and Turris leave like they did, it has to be demoralizing. The management team totally f***ed with the veterans and leaders of this team. Turris and Methot were two huge key players of this team for years.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
My feeling is the team is quitting on Boucher/management, or the morale of the team is extremely low after trading Turris. I don't think it's about Turris necessarily, but maybe it's more related to how he was treated by management after all those years of being a soldier for us.

When you're a player and you see guys like Methot and Turris leave like they did, it has to be demoralizing. The management team totally ****ed with the veterans and leaders of this team. Turris and Methot were two huge key players of this team for years.
Yep we should have given KT 6 years ...Then traded for Duchene to replace Macarther...

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
If Karlsson is down emotionally, I'm not surprised. Methot was obviously a key teammate for him but I think he got along great with Turris, too (they essentially rose up together in 11-12). I feel like all the players sense the lack of stability throughout ownership and management - if Turris can be traded for Duchene, then is Stone going to be traded for someone less expensive because they don't want to pay him 7 mil? (that kind of uneasiness).

As for Boucher, the team has now essentially played 130 games of playoff-type hockey. That style actually works in the playoffs because everything is tighter, the stakes are really high, and they are playing for the ultimate glory. But to go through it for more than one season is tough. There were many guys injured in the playoffs - and while every playoff team has those guys, our list seemed unusually long - and many of those knocks probably came about late in the season. Karl blocked a lot of shots before he finally blocked one that broke his foot, and just about everyone on the team paid the price in order to win.

As for Cap .... I think he'll soon play better than he has been, but more like first 11 games EK (minus MTL game) than last year's version. Along with the foot issue that he says is bothering him, the lack of conditioning is also apparent. He's not incapable of being the guy he was last year, as he showed against Anaheim and LA, but he can't sustain it long, and when the body isn't strong, then the mind isn't. I'm a tennis player, and I had an foot/ankle injury for basically two years. I played through it because no treatment was working but even on the better days I was always conscious of making a movement that would screw it up bad.

I am fairly confident a summer of regular training will do him wonders. It did in the summer of '14 where he was the best player in the league from Jan. '15 onwards (meaning, his fitness was superb). Unless the team physios can definitively say that he'll never be the same even with all the training, then I would assume 18-19 will be a lot better.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Erik Karlsson said:
It’s all about winning. I want to be on a – I’ve been here for nine seasons. I’ve invested my entire career into this organization. They’ve given me everything that I feel like I need to succeed. I think we’re moving in the right direction. This is the place I want to win with. I want to win in Ottawa. That’s where I’ll always be. It’s going to be my home, no matter where I end up playing when I get older, if that ever happens. So that’s the thing: I want to be where home is. I’m comfortable at home, I like it at home and Ottawa is home. Not only the organization, but the community and all my friends as well. That’s something that’s very important to me. Then, all the other stuff, they will just follow.

Yes, he's saying all the right things, but at least he's not saying the wrong things.

Senators' Erik Karlsson: I want to win in Ottawa - Sportsnet.ca

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yes, he's saying all the right things, but at least he's not saying the wrong things.

Senators' Erik Karlsson: I want to win in Ottawa - Sportsnet.ca

If I were him ,, I would say...
I like it here in Ottawa... I do not want to talk about my upcoming Contract anymore right now.
I like it here in Ottawa... I do not want to talk about my upcoming Contract anymore right now.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If I were him ,, I would say...

The entire interview:

SN: Just so it’s clear, what is your thought process on the contract coming up?

Karlsson: To be honest with you, it’s not something that I’ve really thought of. I don’t really know why I spoke out about it. It’s not something that’s been on my mind. I love it here in Ottawa, it’s never, ever crossed my mind that I ever want to leave here or go somewhere else. That’s not something I’ve ever considered. That they spun it that way, that’s the way it is.
I’m happy where I am. It’s not something I try and focus on. I try and do my job right now. When that time comes, that’s something that we’re going to deal with. And, again, it’s a business, it’s a two-way street. I’m happy where I am and I hope that they’re happy where I’m at. And again, it’s a two-way street. So, I’m going to do my part, and I’m sure they’re going to do theirs. It’s not something – leaving – that I’ve ever considered.

SN: Some guys believe it’s their duty as members of the players’ association to get the top dollar, to move the number up and send a message out to the entire industry. Is that something you buy into and you believe in?

Karlsson: No, I mean I think at the end of the day, you know the player – whether it’s me or someone else, you’re going to get what you’re worth. Whatever that is at the time is what it is. So I wasn’t speaking specifically about me. Once you go to the market and your deal is up, whether you’re a fourth-line player or first-line player, or D-man or goalie, at that time whatever the market is, you’re going to get that. And you know it’s going to be no different for me or anyone else. So, again, money is not something I’ve even thought of since I haven’t really thought about, you know, my deal being up. As I said, I’m comfortable and happy where I’m at right now, and this is where I want to be and this is where I always planned to stay. When that time comes, I hope that’s in Ottawa.

SN: So when that time comes, what’s important to you? Is it a chance to win? Is it money? Is it term?

Karlsson: It’s all about winning. I want to be on a – I’ve been here for nine seasons. I’ve invested my entire career into this organization. They’ve given me everything that I feel like I need to succeed. I think we’re moving in the right direction. This is the place I want to win with. I want to win in Ottawa. That’s where I’ll always be. It’s going to be my home, no matter where I end up playing when I get older, if that ever happens. So that’s the thing: I want to be where home is. I’m comfortable at home, I like it at home and Ottawa is home. Not only the organization, but the community and all my friends as well. That’s something that’s very important to me. Then, all the other stuff, they will just follow.

SN: Have you spoken with anyone else who has gone through this before?

Karlsson: No, as I said, I haven’t really thought about it before. It’s not something that’s on my mind. It’s still a ways away. When that time comes to deal with that, it’s something I’m going to do. But as of right now, it’s not something I’m worried about. I’m worried about getting out of this slump and (making) the playoffs.

SN: If they come at you this summer with an offer that is market value for a top-end defenceman, is that something you’d want to entertain, or do you want to go to market to see what’s out there?

Karlsson: That’s something we’re going to have to deal with when that time comes. It’s not something we’ve considered, since those are discussions haven’t even started. When the summer hits here, we’ll re-evaluate and see what’s going on and what’s best, and, as I said, I’m happy where I’m at, I want to stay in Ottawa and hopefully they want to keep me here.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
"Another false story, this time on the Failing Rogers Sportsnet, that Erik Karlsson is getting traded - Wrong! Also, I seldom, if ever, watch TSN or listen to the Team 1200, both of which I consider Fake News. I never watch Nick Kypreos, who I once called the “dumbest man on television!” Bad Reporting."

otown

Sep 4, 2009
It is not a question of whether Karlsson will sign in Ottawa...... even if he gets market value.
The real question is why should he sign here if the Sens are not competitive.
Dorion has some homework to do if he wants a shot at keeping Karlsson in Ottawa. Major changes are on the way!

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
ya lots of fake news going around.

I would say Karlsson is untouchable atleast until july 1

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Guest here. Question isn't whether he wants to stay. He obviously does. It's up to Euge and a lesser extent Dorion for his moves if karlsson is a sen for life.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad