Player Discussion Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread | Part IV | Foot Surgery Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Alfie used to get pissed a lot when things weren't going well. Karl was obviously mentored by Alfie and he shares many of the same traits.

And obviously Erik has to find a way to play better - no team can have real success without their best player playing like it. Hopefully he can start to turn it around tonight - it may only take a little to get him going back in the right direction again.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think he has turned the corner. Last two games he has been more engaged and skating harder. Last night was his best skating game yet...he will be the catalyst as he always is.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Elliott Freidman and the boys discussing a possible Karlsson trade.
That would be the end for Melnyk.

Last edited:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
If Ottawa actually did trade Karlsson and didn't get a major haul for him, I think I'd have to seriously consider my fandom - at least to the hardcore extent it's been since I was 4 years old.

Melnyk knows they'd lose a large chunk of the fanbase if they ever traded Karlsson. It'd be career suicide for Dorion too.

I really don't see it happening.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Its hard to tell because Friedman often inserts his own speculation in place of actual news such as-The Sens are being moved to Quebec city from a couple of years back.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Whether this is true or not (I doubt it's true), I just hope this clown is out by the New Year or this summer at the latest.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
These are speculations if false , the GM has to come out personally and shut them down, if he doesn't then there is merit.
The GM has to follow orders. Tom Anselmi or Melnyk should address this because Melnyk is directly implicated. Well maybe Anselmi, Melnyk is likely to make matter worse.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
The GM has to follow orders. Tom Anselmi or Melnyk should address this because Melnyk is directly implicated. Well maybe Anselmi, Melnyk is likely to make matter worse.

melnykrelaxhat.jpg

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This shouldn't come as a surprise, $10 mil for one player on a small market team can be crippling. It also wouldn't surprise me if this has already been discussed by management for some time which may be why they were trying to go for it this yr which has back fired. Why not get a good NHL player, a good prospect & a 1st rd pick? It's not like this team is going anywhere anyway & they are playing like crap with Karlsson in the lineup & he is a minus -13 or something. Maybe it's time they start transitioning to their prospects & a younger team

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
they are playing like crap with Karlsson in the lineup & he is a minus -13 or something. Maybe it's time they start transitioning to their prospects & a younger team
Karlsson had a bad season (minus the Olympics) following the achilles injury. The three seasons after, he grabs a Norris, and and is second the other two years. He takes his team deep into the playoffs, and has a major surgery, and begins the next season poorly. You're willing to give up this player THAT easily?

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
<<<

We need new direction for this team. Hopefully the ownership change rumors were true.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Karlsson had a bad season following the achilles injury. The three seasons after, he grabs a Norris, and and is second the other two years. He takes his team deep into the playoffs, and has a major surgery, and begins the next season poorly. You're willing to give up this player THAT easily?
I don't think they will pay him the $10 mil or so he will want, so why not trade him & get as much as you can. Look at this team, they are terrible with Karlsson on the team, they aren't going anywhere & with mostly the same lineup next yr will need a miracle reversal to just make the playoffs. They are almost at the bottom of the league, why not start re-building now?

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Karlsson had a bad season (minus the Olympics) following the achilles injury. The three seasons after, he grabs a Norris, and and is second the other two years. He takes his team deep into the playoffs, and has a major surgery, and begins the next season poorly. You're willing to give up this player THAT easily?

Everyone is overreacting the long term implications of Karlsson's play so far this year. Ya he doesn't look good, but he also spent the entire offseason purposely not exercising and is probably in the worst shape he's been in right now since he's entered the league. If we trade him now while his value is at it's lowest we'll be the laughing stock of the league when he's winning multiple Norris' again starting next year.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Everyone is overreacting the long term implications of Karlsson's play so far this year. Ya he doesn't look good, but he also spent the entire offseason purposely not exercising and is probably in the worst shape he's been in right now since he's entered the league. If we trade him now while his value is at it's lowest we'll be the laughing stock of the league when he's winning multiple Norris' again starting next year.
I don't think he is at his lowest value & what would that be for the best defenceman in the world? I would think he would get a pretty big haul, look what it took to get Duchene out of Colorado. I think he could get a very good NHL player (Simmonds), a really good young player or prospect (Provorov) & a 1st rd pick or more. Considering some of the very good prospects we have they might return to respectability within a few yrs but they have to get rid of this coach & bring in some quality goaltending.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I don't think he is at his lowest value & what would that be for the best defenceman in the world? I would think he would get a pretty big haul, look what it took to get Duchene out of Colorado. I think he could get a very good NHL player (Simmonds), a really good young player or prospect (Provorov) & a 1st rd pick or more. Considering some of the very good prospects we have they might return to respectability within a few yrs but they have to get rid of this coach & bring in some quality goaltending.

The fact that many people even fans of this team are for some reason questioning if he'll ever "be the same" would suggest he would be at his lowest value, until he shows elite form again to silence any doubt. No doubt like you said he's still worth a boatload...unfortunately Dorion's track record wouldn't exactly inspire confidence in getting what we would expect is "fair value".

Reactions: aragorn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad