Player Discussion Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread | Part IV | Foot Surgery Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
From Friedmann

In the immediate aftermath of Karlsson’s comments, there was a lot of anger inside the organization. Owner Eugene Melnyk is always the flashpoint, but it went deeper. There was at least one tense meeting between the captain and team officials. In a conversation with Sportsnet’s Arash Madani last weekend in San Jose, the franchise cornerstone said his quotes were taken out of context.

If this is true, the stupidity of the organization knows no bounds

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
From Friedmann

I think the timing of Karlsson's comments and how they appeared at the time were a poor decision on his part. Your team is in a terrible slump and you have not recorded a point in any of the games during that slump. It was not something the team or organisation needed. While we now know that it was spun pretty hard by hockey media and according to Karlsson they were taken out of context, the timing of the comments was pretty poor. From management to coaching staff and I'm sure some players were not too pleased with the comments. He should have answered more along the lines of what he said before Saturday's game. Should have deflected it, said he isn't thinking about it now and wants to focus on getting out of this slump. That wouldn't have stirred up a media frenzy or rattled anyone. So I do not fault the org for being the slightest bit rattled by his comments nor do I think they are stupid for feeling slighted.

Linda Bacon

Canada fan
Nov 7, 2017
The only reason to trade EK is to save money. I don't see any other logical reason to trade the best dman in the league.

It would be nice if they could find a way to get out of Ryan's contract. That's alot of money right there.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
From Friedmann

Why? If I was going around the office telling people for my next raise "I'm going to get what I'm worth" on my next contract, you can bet my boss would collar me and ask me what the f*** is going on. He also said this to ruffle featgers while also playing like complete dogshit. So I guess this is management's attempt at some sort of recourse.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Why? If I was going around the office telling people for my next raise "I'm going to get what I'm worth" on my next contract, you can bet my boss would collar me and ask me what the **** is going on. He also said this to ruffle featgers while also playing like complete dog****. So I guess this is management's attempt at some sort of recourse.

What is so bad about saying you want to get what you're worth?

Especially when you've seen some of your best friends leave because of the owner being too cheap to pay them.

(alfredsson, turris, zibanejad)

Last edited:

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
I didn't really like karlsson's comments either. Made it seem like all he was worried about was his next contract.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Why? If I was going around the office telling people for my next raise "I'm going to get what I'm worth" on my next contract, you can bet my boss would collar me and ask me what the **** is going on. He also said this to ruffle featgers while also playing like complete dog****. So I guess this is management's attempt at some sort of recourse.

Not really a fair comparison. EK was ASKED by media types about contract, he wasn't going around spouting off of his own accord. If Eugene or Dorion are trying to make Erik nervous or piss him off, then they are idiots.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Not really a fair comparison. EK was ASKED by media types about contract, he wasn't going around spouting off of his own accord. If Eugene or Dorion are trying to make Erik nervous or piss him off, then they are idiots.

I'm not one to defend management trust me on that. I'm just saying they have to bite back lest it become some weird Jack Eichel GM scenario.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
What is so bad about saying you want to get what you're worth?

Especially when you've seen some of your best friends leave because of the owner being too cheap to pay them.

(alfredsson, turris, zibanejad)
you just hit the nail on the head, thats exactly why he said what he said because he knows that the Sens cant afford him and wants out of here, hes pissed at management for their "treatment" of Alfredsson, Zibanejad and Turris, hes not happy about that one bit and he sees the writing on the wall.

I cant blame him, i would want out too if i was him. he knows how cheap Melnyk is and he has no confidence whatsoever in their ability to built a stanley cup winning team.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
you just hit the nail on the head, thats exactly why he said what he said because he knows that the Sens cant afford him and wants out of here, hes pissed at management for their "treatment" of Alfredsson, Zibanejad and Turris, hes not happy about that one bit and he sees the writing on the wall.

I cant blame him, i would want out too if i was him. he knows how cheap Melnyk is and he has no confidence whatsoever in their ability to built a stanley cup winning team.

How long can we go ignoring his follow up interview and putting fake words in his mouth?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Personally, I think it was a dumb move by the organization to ask Karlsson for a list, it makes no sense to move him now. If the plan is to move him so they don't have to pay him "what he deserves" they should wait until after the season & then start taking offers when teams know what their budgets will be for next season & what the cap will be & how much money they have to spend & around the draft when they have more assets to give. Having said that though I'm not sure our GM or coach "whoever is making the deal" will get the return we think we deserve for an all world talent. And how are these players going to respond on the ice after being asked for their list? Man, this looks messed up.

To Detroit: Eric Karlsson RD
To Ottawa: Anthony Mantha LW, Gustaf Nyquist LW & 2018 1st rd pick

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
But you know what would be worse then trading Erik Karlsson? Losing him for nothing on July 1st 2019. Because im telling you theres no way in hell that Karlsson will sign an extension with the Sens, he has an amazing opportunity to chose where he wants to play for the rest of his career. you have one shot at free agency. So if we dont trade him, we will lose him for absolutely nothing when he becomes UFA.

Tell me why would Karlsson want to resign here? This franchise is in complete disarray, we have the worst owner and gm in the league. Why would EK want to stay here? He would be crazy not to hit free agency and be in charge as to where he wants to play.

Last edited:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Personally, I think it was a dumb move by the organization to ask Karlsson for a list, it makes no sense to move him now. If the plan is to move him so they don't have to pay him "what he deserves" they should wait until after the season & then start taking offers when teams know what their budgets will be for next season & what the cap will be & how much money they have to spend & around the draft when they have more assets to give. Having said that though I'm not sure our GM or coach "whoever is making the deal" will get the return we think we deserve for an all world talent. And how are these players going to respond on the ice after being asked for their list? Man, this looks messed up.

That's horrible for Ottawa

Reactions: branch

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

I agreed with this post until the trade proposal. My goodness that is garbage. :laugh::laugh:

Why on earth would Ottawa do that unless Detroit wins the draft lottery? And even then it's questionable.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That's horrible for Ottawa
Make one that's better then. It will be interesting to see what people think he is worth which I would guess will always be more than what he actually returns.

I actually think that Mantha is going to have a Stone type of impact in future.

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
I finally decided to buy a Karlsson jersey a month ago, ... after years of refusing to buy a jersey with a name on it. It seems may have made a mistake. I’ll always follow the team, but if management finds a way to lose our franchise player... again, ... I’ll probably withdraw from watching hockey altogether for a long time. My only hope for this team is that a new owner steps in and breathes confidence and life back into the franchise.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Make one that's better then. It will be interesting to see what people think he is worth which I would guess will always be more than what he actually returns.

I finally decided to buy a Karlsson jersey a month ago, ... after years of refusing to buy a jersey with a name on it. It seems may have made a mistake. I’ll always follow the team, but if management finds a way to lose our franchise player... again, ... I’ll probably withdraw from watching hockey altogether for a long time. My only hope for this team is that a new owner steps in and breathes confidence and life back into the franchise.
I know it sucks but thats what happens when you have moe, larry and curley running your franchise.

Reactions: aragorn

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA

I would take your trade instead of losing him for nothing.

Reactions: aragorn

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Rand0m’s 3 thoughts...

1. Karlsson should have shut his mouth after his recent on ice performance during the past 10+ games, no matter how his answer was interpreted or not. How many times have we heard players say: “I’m not thinking about my contract right now, my agent is the one taking care of it, I’m focusing on getting this team some wins.”

2. The fact Karlsson said this while playing the worst hockey he’s ever played makes me feel like he’s a bad leader and captain. It’s not how you get your team out of a slump. Or that he’s already checked out.

3. I’m worried about his future. If the current Karlsson is a preview of what we can expect in the future, then is he really worth $12M?

4. That said, IF he I s traded away for anything short than another superstar, then the Ottawa homeless shelters will be getting all my Sens merch, I’m done.

Reactions: albator71

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It certainly makes one wonder why Karlsson would even say something like that? He either misspoke or was putting it out there that he is not willing to give this team a hometown discount for whatever reasons that is now open to speculation. Which opens the door to a possible trade scenario & the discussion regarding what he is worth to Ottawa or in the open market.

I think we have to keep in mind that he is playing terrible & whether he is or will ever recover well enough from his off season surgery to return to being the best defenceman in the world & no one knows the answer to that? However, one would have to think that on a better team he should be better than he is now but how much better or will he? His value could be hard to predict. Most thought Duchene had plenty of value & where has his value gone since he arrived in town? Turris on the other hand went up.

Last edited:
Reactions: albator71

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I understand that Sens fans are emotionally attached to Karlsson, but they need to understand that the NHL is a business, and players who have the chance to become UFA will do whats best for them and their family period. Let's be honest here, how many of you if you were in Karlsson's shoes would want resign here for the next 8 years knowing how incompetent management is? Karlsson knows that Melnyk cant spend to the maximum of the cap, he wants to play for an owner you will spend the money necessary to win a championship period case closed!

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
The media is spinning this whole thing way out of proportion, and even fabricating some elements. Pretty low of Friedman to make stuff up. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if management had a word with Karlsson about his comments. I love Erik, but that was the absolute wrong with to say, at the worst possible time. It's brought nothing but unnecessary attention on the Sens in the middle of the worst stretch of hockey they've played since the expansion seasons. Everyone involved in the organization has every right to be pissed at him for that.

Karlsson will not be traded, and he will resign here in 2019. This worrying is all for nothing, He will retire a Senator.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
The media is spinning this whole thing way out of proportion, and even fabricating some elements. Pretty low of Friedman to make stuff up. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if management had a word with Karlsson about his comments. I love Erik, but that was the absolute wrong with to say, at the worst possible time. It's brought nothing but unnecessary attention on the Sens in the middle of the worst stretch of hockey they've played since the expansion seasons. Everyone involved in the organization has every right to be pissed at him for that.

Karlsson will not be traded, and he will resign here in 2019. This worrying is all for nothing, He will retire a Senator.

Truth ot not the media and especially the to based ones will run with this for as long as it takes, mark my words by the end of it the value will be through the floor....seen it with Heatley and Spezza, seems to be a sport of its own for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad