Value of: Erik Karlsson at the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Are anyyyyyy of these deals close to a package that would involve Draistal?

No?

Then try again.

We dont want quantity. We want quality. Karlsson is the best defender and a top 3-5 player in the league whos only 26 and has generational level output offensively.

Try much harder, lol.

What would it take from the Hawks then? Stan is not moving 2017 1st so 2018 comes into play. You'd think Debrincat would be the centerpiece as their #1 prospect. So on top of that? Do they take Panarin for 2 more years hoping they can resign him after? What else? Obviously Hawks never do this but it is fun to try and come up with something that would be acceptable.

2018 1st
Panarin
Debrincat
Hjalmarsson?

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
What would it take from the Hawks then? Stan is not moving 2017 1st so 2018 comes into play. You'd think Debrincat would be the centerpiece as their #1 prospect. So on top of that? Do they take Panarin for 2 more years hoping they can resign him after? What else? Obviously Hawks never do this but it is fun to try and come up with something that would be acceptable.

2018 1st
Panarin
Debrincat
Hjalmarsson?

This is awful. 2018 late 1st. Panarin who most likely wouldn't be able to replicate success he has without Patrick Kane setting him up. DeBrincat who is a boom or bust prospect, and a 30 year old defensive D.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
This is awful. 2018 late 1st. Panarin who most likely wouldn't be able to replicate success he has without Patrick Kane setting him up. DeBrincat who is a boom or bust prospect, and a 30 year old defensive D.

Just thinking out loud. What would you want from the Hawks then? Let me guess, Patrick Kane @ 50%?

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Just thinking out loud. What would you want from the Hawks then? Let me guess, Patrick Kane @ 50%?

That seems to be what the people in this thread are thinking. You would have to add in comparison to the other valuations they have offered up. Pure insanity of course. No player is worth these "asks". I assume this is just their way of saying they would be unhappy with a trade no matter what.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
The only possible trading partner is probably Edmonton.

They can give up Draisaitl, their best D and two 1st rounders and still be competitive and go forward with McDavid and Karlsson.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Matthews + for Karlsson? LOL

Leafs wouldn't trade Matthews for the entire Sens organization.

LOL thats cute, Karlsson > Matthews. I'll take the best defenseman in the game over a top 10ish centerman anyday

but anyways Sens aren't going to trade the best defenseman in the league to their biggest rival for anything short of a franchise crippling return.

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
Karlsson is never getting traded, so why is this even a discussion?

We don't know the dynamics of the owner vs the player behind the scenes so anything that the OP wrote is just baseless speculation. If Melnyk's Matt Cooke "investigation" is any indication, he will pretty much bend in any way to Karlsson's will, whatever that may be.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
That seems to be what the people in this thread are thinking. You would have to add in comparison to the other valuations they have offered up. Pure insanity of course. No player is worth these "asks". I assume this is just their way of saying they would be unhappy with a trade no matter what.

What would be the value of a 26 year old Ray Bourque?

That is what you would be getting. Maybe 10 years of the best defenceman in the world that plays 28 minutes a night.

The only player more valuable in the NHL in trade value is McDavid. Not even Crosby or Malkin or Matthews has the trade value of Karlsson.

Karlsson is a player that will never be traded. Except 19 year old Lindros was traded and 28 year old Gretzky so it could happen. If it did happen it would be a blockbuster. It would not be a Weber for Subban type of deal because there is no comparable defenceman. Perhaps Hedman plus a decent player and pick is the only possible 1 for 1 trade that could even start to make sense.

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
Matthews + for Karlsson? LOL

Leafs wouldn't trade Matthews for the entire Sens organization.

I hate defending Karlsson but you are wrong.

Lets disregard your Matthews>Karlsson comment. The entire organization?

Karlsson + Stone + Turris + White + Chabot for Matthews?

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
They'll keep Karlsson. Any team with Stanley Cup aspirations needs a few truly key players and Karlsson certainly fits the bill. It's not like they have another d-man anywhere close to his ability allowing them to use Karlsson to fill another key role.

They have to keep the piece they have and try to acquire the other pieces they need via another means.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yep, top 3 D, in the same way McDavid is a top 3 C. Granted, his original proposals are all overpriced, but honestly, they aren't that far off what it would take.

Edmonton is realistically the only team with the pieces to get it done without absolutely gutting their team. It would take something like Drai+Puljujarvi+one of Klefbom or Larsson+Ottawa's choice of 2017 or 2018 1st to make us entertain an offer. I understand completely if that price is too high, but that's what it would take. Moving EK turns our roster into arguably the worst in the league, so the only way it happens is if ownership decides it's time to jumpstart a full blown rebuild. (And we all know how Eugene feels about missing his playoff revenue.)

While I agree his value is huge (although a big gap between him and McDavid), there's just no possible way Karlsson would EVER get that much in a trade. He's only signed for two more years, and no team is going to risk loosing that much for a player who may not even be on the team after 2 seasons.

Could you imagine that the Oilers trade for Karlsson and lose him after two seasons without winning the cup? Meanwhile the Sens get a PPG C for the next 6 years in Draisaitl, Puljujarvi ends up a 70pt winger, a top pairing D and a 1st Rd pick? The Sens literally receive their core for atleast 6 years while the Oilers have nothing.

The only way Karlsson gets traded is if he asks to leave (or says he's not signing) and if that happens he will get absolutely no where close to what some fans think.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016

2018 1st
Panarin
Debrincat
Hjalmarsson?

There is no possible trade right now between these two teams concerning Karlsson.

From Ottawa's perspective there are no high end young assets that Chicago can offer that Ottawa would be interested in. Even Panarin is only a year younger than Karlsson, and for obvious reasons he has nowhere near the value of a top 2 d in the league.

So unless Chicago guts their team (Kane+ for example) they don't have the pieces. And obviously gutting their team defeats the purpose of trying to acquire Karlsson in his prime to contend.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
What would be the value of a 26 year old Ray Bourque?

That is what you would be getting. Maybe 10 years of the best defenceman in the world that plays 28 minutes a night.

The only player more valuable in the NHL in trade value is McDavid. Not even Crosby or Malkin or Matthews has the trade value of Karlsson.

Karlsson is a player that will never be traded. Except 19 year old Lindros was traded and 28 year old Gretzky so it could happen. If it did happen it would be a blockbuster. It would not be a Weber for Subban type of deal because there is no comparable defenceman. Perhaps Hedman plus a decent player and pick is the only possible 1 for 1 trade that could even start to make sense.

Just out of curiosity. Is karlssons defence that good that makes him the best defenceman in the world. I know his offence is great.

SensNation613

Dec 30, 2013
Ottawa
Just out of curiosity. Is karlssons defence that good that makes him the best defenceman in the world. I know his offence is great.

He's been amazing defensively under Boucher. He is the best defenseman in the league and a top 3 player in the entire NHL.

As for trades, teams would need to gut their roster to acquire EK.

Drai+++ would be interesting from Edmonton if we were to move EK.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I would do Draisaitl, Nurse and a 1st for Karlsson. Losing Draisaitl would be a huge blow but easily worth it for Karlsson.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
If Ottawa were to trade Karlsson we'd want a 2017 1st, a top 6 centre, a top 4 defenseman and a team's top prospect. Even then we'd have to think about it.

Yeah I'm sorry that's not nearly enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad