Value of: Erik Karlsson at the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
These are the type of deals that I would like:

Klingberg, Seguin, Nuke, and a 1st.

Ellis, Forsberg, Josi, and a 1st for Methot and Karlsson.

Hamilton, Gaudreau, Bennett, and a 1st.

Pietrangelo, Schwartz, Schmaltz, and 2 1st rounders.

Larsson, Klefbom, Draisaitl, Jones, and a 1st for Karlsson and Methot.

There is a lot more, just can't think right from the top of my head.

Notwithstanding Ottawa fans' love for Karlsson (which is understandable), Ottawa would pull the trigger very quickly on a couple of these deals...b/c they are pretty clearly overpayment.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
How about I do this again?

Klingberg, Nuke, Faksa, and a 1st.

Forsberg, Ellis, Kamenev, and a 1st.

Pietrangelo, Schwartz, and a 1st.

Hamilton, Bennett, Frolik, and a 1st.

Draisaitil, Larsson, Jones, and a 1st.

Sure.

If they want to trade him.

Which they probably don't.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
If Karlsson is traded, he won't get his "actual value" because superstars never seem to get their actual value because they aren't traded, unless there's a motivated seller where
time is of the essence.

That's what the problem with these "value of" threads is.

He'll probably get a roster player, a good prospect and two #1 picks or something.

A guy like Matthews wouldn't get his actual worth because why on Earth is Toronto trading him unless there's some kind of emergency or problem?

Despite the hopes and dreams of a few Leaf fans in this thread, Melnyk shooting his mouth off is nothing new and the Olympics issue is pretty moot with the entire league turning up their noses to the players. So I think this is a pointless exercise in any event.

They're trading him because he's going to bolt to Arizona the first chance he gets!

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto

Outside of the STL one these are all realistic trade values

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Taylor Hall, Damon Severson and two seconds.

Last edited:

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
If the sens don't play their cards right, this could transform into a Don Waddle/Ilya Kovalchuk situation. As soon as you find out his true intentions, then you trade him ASAP for maximum value.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA

That Blues one is just embarrassingly terrible

Reactions: Legionnaire

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
Here's my take on your proposals, don't take it for more than what it is.

Klingberg, Nuke, Faksa, and a 1st. No. It reads as Klingberg and a bunch of unaccomplished hope/magic beans.

Forsberg, Ellis, Kamenev, and a 1st. No. Forsberg's good. Ellis's good. Kamenev is promising and the 1st is a 1st, but it still feels like a bunch of quantity for a player of Karlsson's caliber. All 3 of Johansen/Josi/Subban can't be left off a package for Karlsson.

Pietrangelo, Schwartz, and a 1st. Really torn on this one. Which probably indicates it's a good proposal.

Hamilton, Bennett, Frolik, and a 1st. Absolutely not. The Canadian Tire Center would burn.

Draisaitil, Larsson, Jones, and a 1st. If Karlsson HAD to be traded. This is the kind of package that could get it done and I think actually help both teams moving forward.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If the sens don't play their cards right, this could transform into a Don Waddle/Ilya Kovalchuk situation. As soon as you find out his true intentions, then you trade him ASAP for maximum value.

What intentions?

The intentions to continue being the Team Captain, a pillar in the community, engaged to a local girl?

Nuke

Mar 2, 2007
If Ottawa were to trade Karlsson we'd want a 2017 1st, a top 6 centre, a top 4 defenseman and a team's top prospect. Even then we'd have to think about it.

Sabres offer...

Reinhart
McCabe
Nylander
2017 First

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Sens trade Karlsson and the team might as well move to Quebec City.

Season ticket holders will evaporate, fairweather fans won't go to the games, and a decent portion of the fanbase (especially kids) will follow Karlsson to whatever team he gets traded to. Would be a financial nightmare for Melnyk.

Won't happen.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Sens trade Karlsson and the team might as well move to Quebec City.

Season ticket holders will evaporate, fairweather fans won't go to the games, and a decent portion of the fanbase (especially kids) will follow Karlsson to whatever team he gets traded to. Would be a financial nightmare for Melnyk.

Won't happen.

This is the spot on the internet where discussing the possibility that he doesn't intend to re-sign in two years for whatever reason is an interesting thought exercise.

If they trade Karlsson prior to the NTC kicking in this summer, at 6.5 million remaining for two years, they'll receive the biggest return of any trade since Y2K. The only reason they'd do so is if they realized there was chance of getting burned by Karlsson for some reason. Which there is a chance of, to some degree. Who knows.

No harm in getting a read on what other teams fanbases would offer for two years of discounted peak Karlsson years plus exclusive UFA negotiating rights. He could easily take a win-now mode team to a cup if they could afford to cough up young elite talent and futures. I'm curious to see how high the bidding could go, and his affordable salary really makes things interesting.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I would do that. Nuge, one of Klefbom or Sekera, Pulujarvi and our 1st? Get 'er done.

No old players.

Trading Karlsson would signal a rebuild.

So the Sens would be looking for young players.

That is unless you need to trade Sekara for cap purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad