Confirmed with Link: Erik Gustafsson 1 year

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Emberson is an RD. Judging off last year he's the closest in my opinion to be able to defend well enough in a bottom 6 situation. Jones, Robertson and Scanlin are all LD's. Jones is the most talented prospect defenseman but he's not great at defending. Robertson's been very inconsistent. Scanlin isn't bad and is a fairly consistent defender but he doesn't have a great two way game. He's big and strong though.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Think it’s starting to get clear that he was overrated for years. Or his development has been slowwww.

Michael Sauer played 2 more years of junior and three full AHL seasons before cracking the NHL full time. 2nd round pick (40th overall in 2005.)

Robertson (2nd round, 49th overall in 2019) is on the same path. This will be his third AHL season. Not every player is ready for the NHL in 2-3 years. Especially bigger, defensive defenseman. Detroit was known for leaving their players in the AHL a long time until they were truly ready. I'm not worried about Robertson at all.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Michael Sauer played 2 more years of junior and three full AHL seasons before cracking the NHL full time. 2nd round pick (40th overall in 2005.)

Robertson (2nd round, 49th overall in 2019) is on the same path. This will be his third AHL season. Not every player is ready for the NHL in 2-3 years. Especially bigger, defensive defenseman. Detroit was known for leaving their players in the AHL a long time until they were truly ready. I'm not worried about Robertson at all.
Maybe, but i feel like Sauer brought a much different and unique style that would eventually get him to the NHL. I dont even hear people talking about Robertson.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I'm just trying to look at this org objectively.

The faults and warts of the org aren't changing, they are doubling down. There is no evolution here and it is so frustrating.

I would LOVE to be proven wrong
I think one subtle but important difference is that a bunch of the vets are on one year deals. I’m optimistic that the competition will be healthy. I don’t think the one year deals are necessarily a change in philosophy. It’s probably more due to the market. But nonetheless, I’m looking forward to it.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022

He looked good this year in hfd. Had 23 points in 57 games and was a mean dude in front of the net

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
He looked good this year in hfd. Had 23 points in 57 games and was a mean dude in front of the net

like to see that from him. reports on him coming out of juniors and his first year in the AHL were he was a bit soft there.

Reactions: Number 9

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
I think people are really sleeping on this signing. Very very good signing. Hes an elite offensive dman, has deficiencies in his own end but a great skater with an special ability to get shots through and find the lanes

exactly what we need for transition offense. he'll probably play over Jones as he should

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Think it’s starting to get clear that he was overrated for years. Or his development has been slowwww.
i see this view as impatient and unrealistic
Robertson just turned 22
2 seasons pro, one shortened by injury

just because some guys become pro regulars before 23
(and these days more often then in past) doesn't mean all will

kid will be fine

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I would rather be wrong and see this team win a cup with Jones, Fox, and whatever other midgets that put on the back end, but it won't happen. You need size, nastiness, and skill on the backend. Nyr is so scared of going to the net against a lot of teams and it's bc that area is supposed to be hard ice to earn. It's easy I've for other teams against us. How many times did Meier and hischer fall on igor? What did our team do about it? Our defense is HORRIBLE at boxing out as a group. Jones tries but he just isn't strong enough. I hate picking on him about it but that is why I said his role at his size needs to be as a pp1 guy for a team so they can carry and manage him at even strength. He isn't an NHL pk player and Fox is your pp1 d man. Jones's best career move will be a trade for nyr to a team that can give him an opportunity running an NHL pp. Maybe when the sharks trade karlsson he can look into a spot there.

5’ 11” is a “midget” now?

Can’t argue about snarl though. A Gudas type on the back end would be nice.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
i see this view as impatient and unrealistic
Robertson just turned 22
2 seasons pro, one shortened by injury

just because some guys become pro regulars before 23
(and these days more often then in past) doesn't mean all will

kid will be fine
Rangers havent even given him a cup of coffee look yet at the NHL and i havent heard much about him improving at the AHL level. Not all players make the show, it’s unrealistic to think they do.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I really like this signing. Hopefully not over 1M.

Oh trust me, as a Habs fan, if Scott Gomez frustrated you, this guy will drive you insane. At least when he played for us, he was a forward, the worst defensive forward you could imagine, being played as a defenseman.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Oh trust me, as a Habs fan, if Scott Gomez frustrated you, this guy will drive you insane. At least when he played for us, he was a forward, the worst defensive forward you could imagine, being played as a defenseman.
We've been frustrated with 3LD for years so nothing may change. This guy was signed as a 6/7 type for cheap. He did score 43 points last year and can run PP2 if needed.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

We've been frustrated with 3LD for years so nothing may change. This guy was signed as a 6/7 type for cheap. He did score 43 points last year and can run PP2 if needed.
the guy had a strong season last, playing under NYR's new HC
due to injury to Carlson, got bigger than anticipated minutes
if it doesn't work out, they can always waive him

like all but Wheeler and Quick (actually ALL including Wheeler, Quick) NYR's moves were low risk, medium reward

NYR's core is set, solid and established
very pleased with this approach, to give the new staff a handful of guys to choose from, for the depth spots

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
the guy had a strong season last, playing under NYR's new HC
due to injury to Carlson, got bigger than anticipated minutes
if it doesn't work out, they can always waive him

like all but Wheeler and Quick (actually ALL including Wheeler, Quick) NYR's moves were low risk, medium reward

NYR's core is set, solid and established
very pleased with this approach, to give the new staff a handful of guys to choose from, for the depth spots
Feel the same way. Their plan was executed very well. Adding some organizational need and depth for pennies on the dollar. Well done. I have faith that Lavy and his assistants will be able to use the pieces efficiently.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I think people are really sleeping on this signing. Very very good signing. Hes an elite offensive dman, has deficiencies in his own end but a great skater with an special ability to get shots through and find the lanes

elite is a stretch

lets hope he can replicate what he did with Lavi in Washington, that will be a major win.

What if Gustafson plays with Trouba? KAM with Fox?

IMO that would be better for the team

KAM Fox
Gustafsson Trouba
Lindgren Schneider

I know it wont happen

Reactions: TheDirtyH

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Lav saw him up close so he must see some positives. Could be a help on the PP. We may go to 2 real separate units that play around 1 minute each.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad