Confirmed with Link: Erik Gustafsson 1 year

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
He looked good this year in hfd. Had 23 points in 57 games and was a mean dude in front of the net

Our future Lindgren in my opinion once Lindgren gets traded which btw the I hope does not happen unless for cap reasons.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
5’ 11” is a “midget” now?

Can’t argue about snarl though. A Gudas type on the back end would be nice.
If you’re under 6’ as a man, you’re basically a hobbit.
d22.png

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He looked good this year in hfd. Had 23 points in 57 games and was a mean dude in front of the net

He has size and moves well. He hasn't completely found his game or consistency and I think he is a pretty long shot right now to make the Rangers this year. I have Miller, Lindgren, Gustafsson, Harpur, Mackey, Jones all ahead of him right now. FWIW he's not really a mean defenseman. If we're going by fights he had 0 for at least 3 years in the WHL and 0 in his first year in Hartford. He had two last year in Hartford. You show the one where he wins against Newkirk. The other against Riley Bezeau of Charlotte he didn't get off a punch and got hammered to the ice even after Bezeau tripped over some equipment giving Robertson a temporary advantage charging in on him.

Reactions: cwede

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think we regret this being only one year
I don't know. I mean there's a reason he has played for what, six or seven organizations already? Now four years in a row on a one-year deal. He is what he is, which a solid but risky PMD who doesn't really do anything else and he'll be 32 by the end of the season. I like him a lot, but his profile doesn't scream "sign him to multiple years" to me. I think one year was the right move on him.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I don't know. I mean there's a reason he has played for what, six or seven organizations already? Now four years in a row on a one-year deal. He is what he is, which a solid but risky PMD who doesn't really do anything else and he'll be 32 by the end of the year. I like him a lot, but his profile doesn't scream "sign him to multiple years" to me.
if anything, it screams, this guy will take multi-year term at significant price discount (ala vesey) to me-- if that's the route the rangers end up wanting to go

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Going by last year's stats, it's kind of crazy that we got him for the price we did.

38 points in 61 games with Washington. He may have gotten time on PP1 when Carlson was out, but only 11 of his 38 points were on the PP.

The most surprising thing was that he was a +9 on a team that missed the playoffs, and that finished -8 overall. He played nearly 18 minutes per game at even strength, so it's not like he was being sheltered.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Gustafson might be one of those guys who is just a late bloomer and it took him longer to become a very good NHLer. We've seen it in varying degrees with JAM and Stralman (the later was partially a medical issue that the Rangers helped him with).

If he does have a great year and improves his defense I think they can work a two-three year extension out for a modest raise. Remember he's also turning 32 in March and he might value stability/playing for Lav.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Gustafson might be one of those guys who is just a late bloomer and it took him longer to become a very good NHLer. We've seen it in varying degrees with JAM and Stralman (the later was partially a medical issue that the Rangers helped him with).

If he does have a great year and improves his defense I think they can work a two-three year extension out for a modest raise. Remember he's also turning 32 in March and he might value stability/playing for Lav.

I would agree with this. He may be a very valuable depth piece on the left side

Reactions: rangersfansince08

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I hear where you're coming from, but the guy had 60 points in 79 games 5 years ago. Maybe something has "clicked" for him now that makes him a more reliable and desirable player but he's not an unknown quantity, he's been around playing this game for years now. That's why he's on franchise number seven; the league knows what he can do, but to this point he either hasn't done it well enough or consistently enough to justify more than a bunch of short contracts.

Hopefully you're right though and he figured something out that helps him stick. 31/32 is definitely on the older side for those cool breakout stories.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I hear where you're coming from, but the guy had 60 points in 79 games 5 years ago. Maybe something has "clicked" for him now that makes him a more reliable and desirable player but he's not an unknown quantity, he's been around playing this game for years now. That's why he's on franchise number seven; the league knows what he can do, but to this point he either hasn't done it well enough or consistently enough to justify more than a bunch of short contracts.

Hopefully you're right though and he figured something out that helps him stick. 31/32 is definitely on the older side for those cool breakout stories.
Hey, what I can tell is at the very least, he's been competent, ex: posting a positive CF% Rel 5v5 for most of his career, which is a step up from what we've seen at our 6D.

Reactions: CasusBelli

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hey, what I can tell is at the very least, he's been competent, ex: posting a positive CF% Rel 5v5 for most of his career, which is a step up from what we've seen at our 6D.
I'm not sure what to make of him, honestly. I was somewhat familiar with him before we signed him and the narrative in my head pretty much matched what a lot of reports says (PPQB who gets pushed around and turns the puck over a lot) but it seems like the numbers don't necessarily support that. We'll see, I guess.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I'm not sure what to make of him, honestly. I was somewhat familiar with him before we signed him and the narrative in my head pretty much matched what a lot of reports says (PPQB who gets pushed around and turns the puck over a lot) but it seems like the numbers don't necessarily support that. We'll see, I guess.
Yeah, I had the same narrative. As, you say, it'll be interesting seeing him day to day but in theory, a puck mover on the third pair next to Schneider, who knows the system, is at least appropriate on paper.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
6 ft is such an arbitrary cut-off simply because it's a round number in a measurement only used in 3 countries in the world :laugh:

I think this whole "three countries in the world" thing is overplayed. Canada and the UK use the imperial system for a lot of things. My friend is British and he said that the UK uses imperial for height. I agree with your larger point though.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Going by last year's stats, it's kind of crazy that we got him for the price we did.

38 points in 61 games with Washington. He may have gotten time on PP1 when Carlson was out, but only 11 of his 38 points were on the PP.

The most surprising thing was that he was a +9 on a team that missed the playoffs, and that finished -8 overall. He played nearly 18 minutes per game at even strength, so it's not like he was being sheltered.
He’s probably very comfortable with Laviolette. Smart to go to a comfortable spot and try to cash in next year. Makes sense. Also there’s going to be some presumption of minutes/role. Which is reasonable of course. Just saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad