Confirmed with Link: Erik Gustafsson 1 year

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
"Ha" to everyone who thought Jones as going to be handed the 3rd pair spot. You people don't seem to understand how archaic drury and his thinking is. This guy will be the 3rd pair ld and running pp2
Good point. Why have competition when you can just hand the spot to a young guy who may or may not be capable just because he’s a young Ranger draftee.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
42 points last year? Wow, I would have never thought it.

Honestly I think he should mesh well with Schneider

Will add some offense and it bumps Harpur ideally to the AHL eventually

Mackey even may do that . New coach will decide

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Really like this move. Not only a depth guy but also someone who brings some solid NHL experience and is somewhat of a name. Love the idea too if giving a lot of these guys “prove it” type contracts and that really means they are likely going to bust it hard this year to try and cash in next year!

Reactions: egelband

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I really want Jones to play but this one is hard to complain about.

In theory, the team could have them platoon for a year and then have Jones, should he prove himself, take over full time next year. That’s not a bad idea for a smaller guy still working on his strength.

Jones has the two year deal while Gustafsson was just the single

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
We needed bottom pair depth and somebody to run the PP2 and he cost 875k. What are you not understanding today?

These signings don't add anything to the cap because whoever would replace them on the roster would make at least as much, probably more. Worst case, they help Hartford win the AHL Calder Cup. But if even 1 or 2 outperform expectations, we just added a depth player for no cap hit. A team needs quality, cheap depth. If they do not work out, there are always rookies or TDL trades, while these guys help the Wolfpack.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
And again Jones and Harpur are proven NHL Dmen? It's a cheap depth signing of a 6/7 type guy than can run PP2. There is nothing to complain about.
I would like to have seen a steadier partner for Schneider personally. And my initial critique of the move was more about people last week suggesting Jones was a lock and even could be paired w trouba. Now he's not even in the top 6

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
You'd rather have Jones than Gustafsson?

Negative, as usual.

Drury is thinking "archaically" at age 46? That's pretty funny. It's probably more along the lines that he thinks Jones, right now, is a smallish on the fringe AHL/NHL player and he's probably right.

And, if Jones wins the job, would you rather have the tree on skates (Harpur) or Gustafsson?
I never said that. I've said for 2 years Jones has no place here bc you can't win a cup with two d men that are 5'10" and weak. Teams need to be able to clear the net in the playoffs. We have two effective d men at that named Lindgren and trouba and most fans want to run them out of the org at every opportunity. Jones has no place here as he is just a worse version of Fox and unless he's a pp1 guy for a team his utility drops significantly

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Because they lost in disappointing fashion after having a 2-0 series lead to a division rival. You think that doesn't bother them? These guys do care and want to win. They also lost in 7 games. Game 3 went into OT and they they won game 6 5-2. The only real bad game was game 7. Teams lose and do get embarrassed sometimes. It does not mean they cannot bounce back. Boston lost in the first round when they were up 3-1 after having a record regular season. Are they done? Tampa got swept by Columbus in the first round not too long ago? Were they done? Did they not win B2B cups? It's silly to look at one series loss against a good team and think that things can't change. The Rangers have plenty of talent but they fell short last year. They changed the entire coaching staff, hoping for another year of growth from Chytil, Laf, Kakko, Miller, Schneider. They added some nice new cheap depth pieces, have young guys like Cuylle, Othmann, Jones with an opportunity to push for playing time as well. Im actually pretty excited about this year. You choose to be miserable. Im not you.
I'm not chosing to be miserable, I am skeptical that a team full of vets w career contracts and ntcs is going to suddenly evolve into what you claim when it is not in the DNA of most of them historically. I'm not sure what you saw last year that suggests this group is primed for a run. Also, everyone just mocked turk last year bc of line combos. He tried everything. Some made sense and some didn't but he tried everything. What with this roster makes sense that will have some significant affect on the product. If we are banking on cuylle and othmann to be the roster changers then we are setting them up to fail based on the history of this org working young forwards into the lineup. Othmann should be in the AHL until at least new years, cuylle should have to force his way onto the roster but he will probably be buried on the 4th line while vesey is in the top 9.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Orrrrr Zac will earn his fairly high draft status as a really good puck moving dman who will beat this guy out easily.

Competition in training camp is a great thing.

I will @Tob myself and delete my account if this team has any sort of playoff success with both Jones and Fox in the same top 6. Teams rarely go on deep playoff runs carrying multiple small d men.

Good point. Why have competition when you can just hand the spot to a young guy who may or may not be capable just because he’s a young Ranger draftee.
You're missing what I am saying. I don't think Jones has a place her bc all he is is a worse version of Fox. There isn't room for undersized d men that aren't on your pp1 for cup contenders. Teams do not win in the playoffs w multiple small d men. I'm laughing bc last week people thought Jones may even be paired w trouba and now he won't even be in the top 6. You completely missed...

Reactions: Daves a mess

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
I will @Tob myself and delete my account if this team has any sort of playoff success with both Jones and Fox in the same top 6. Teams rarely go on deep playoff runs carrying multiple small d men.

You're missing what I am saying. I don't think Jones has a place her bc all he is is a worse version of Fox. There isn't room for undersized d men that aren't on your pp1 for cup contenders. Teams do not win in the playoffs w multiple small d men. I'm laughing bc last week people thought Jones may even be paired w trouba and now he won't even be in the top 6. You completely missed...
Not gonna lie pal. You could be spot on.

Reactions: bleedblue94

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Not gonna lie pal. You could be spot on.
I would rather be wrong and see this team win a cup with Jones, Fox, and whatever other midgets that put on the back end, but it won't happen. You need size, nastiness, and skill on the backend. Nyr is so scared of going to the net against a lot of teams and it's bc that area is supposed to be hard ice to earn. It's easy I've for other teams against us. How many times did Meier and hischer fall on igor? What did our team do about it? Our defense is HORRIBLE at boxing out as a group. Jones tries but he just isn't strong enough. I hate picking on him about it but that is why I said his role at his size needs to be as a pp1 guy for a team so they can carry and manage him at even strength. He isn't an NHL pk player and Fox is your pp1 d man. Jones's best career move will be a trade for nyr to a team that can give him an opportunity running an NHL pp. Maybe when the sharks trade karlsson he can look into a spot there.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
dudes what happened to Robertson? Does he suck?
He doesn't suck
He's young, he just turned 22
Two pro seasons, 2nd shortened by injury

These signings have absolutely nothing to do regarding Robertson
He and Scanlin and Emberson are all early career
These vet D guys fill out the D crew for the very long season

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
He really stepped up for the Caps while Carlson was injured. From Carlson's injury on Dec 23 until he was traded on Feb 28 he went 3-18-21 (2nd on the team in points) with a +7 in 26 games while playing 21:43 a night. Easily one of the best value signings the Caps have made recently. If you pair him with a steady RHD (he played with TVR on the Caps) and give him regular minutes, he's a solid contributor. Would've rather the Caps brought him back on this deal than traded for Edmundson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad