Confirmed with Link: Erik Gustafsson 1 year

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
He's no less dangerous and defensively inept than Schneider, but at least what he's good at are things the Rangers desperately need more of from the back-end. And pointing to Mikkola getting a better contract is crazy lol. Tony DeAngelo got an even better than Mikkola last summer. Do we think it's bc he's a better overall defensemen than both?
If you think gusto is better than mikkola then we don't have much to debate. Also, there will come a time that gusto will make people overlook Schneider's brain cramps w the puck. All this is is shiney new toy.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
If you think gusto is better than mikkola then we don't have much to debate. Also, there will come a time that gusto will make people overlook Schneider's brain cramps w the puck. All this is is shiney new toy.
I give you credit for doing a libero on Gustafsson but why couldnt you on Tarasenko and Kane to warn us that they were hurrrrrrrrting. Not hurting....Hurrrrrrrrting.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I give you credit for doing a libero on Gustafsson but why couldnt you on Tarasenko and Kane to warn us that they were hurrrrrrrrting. Not hurting....Hurrrrrrrrting.
I never wanted Kane here at all. In both instances they needed motor type players. 10/10 I would've taken barbs over either of them based on our roster and player type needs. We still have no grit in the top 9, no heavy forecheck type players, no crease crashers. We have don't nothing to adjust what we are. Unless lavy can waive a wand and make a bunch of vets change how they play we will be more of the same shit as last year.

Reactions: Synergy27

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
I never wanted Kane here at all. In both instances they needed motor type players. 10/10 I would've taken barbs over either of them based on our roster and player type needs. We still have no grit in the top 9, no heavy forecheck type players, no crease crashers. We have don't nothing to adjust what we are. Unless lavy can waive a wand and make a bunch of vets change how they play we will be more of the same shit as last year.
Out of the Leafs D options in the playoffs, who would you have dressed in a do or die game?

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
The leafs decided to pay more for Klingberg than they did for gusto after having him for a few months and barely dressing him in the playoffs.

Bc gusto isn't a stable NHL d man at this point.
You didn't answer my question. I was testing you. You seem unhinged. Good day.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
So gusto is the new hajek to alternate w Jones until they finally just send Jones to the AHL again and get sick of gusto's turnovers? Sounds like a plan!!!

Obviously you're very committed to hating this signing but you're reasoning is really shallow.

It's a one year, minimum deal for a guy who is pretty easily the 5th best defenseman now on our roster.

He's bad defensively. Ok, but he's good offensively and we're very weak on that skillset from our backend. Moreover, he just had a very good year defensively in his most recent season which he played under our current coach. Is it really so outlandish to think that Lavoilette may know how to utilize and protect this player to maximize his value considering he just did it?

Idk if I even understand what you're saying with Hajek or Jones... Gustafsson is an NHLer with near 400gp including a season where he scored 60pts. He's much closer to being another DeAngelo (minus the psychopathy) than another Hajek lol

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Twitter sucks so I can't link, but both Rosen and Vince are saying they really like Jones and expect him and Gustafsson on the roster rotating.

Honestly if he's a Lavy guy it's clear who gets the most shakes, but it's good to know they value Jones. I guess.

Could easily do that if Jones earns a spot and send Harpur down

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Bullshit. We have Laf, Kakko, Kreider, Trocheck, and now Wheeler with some grit and can play a north-south game. Whether they do it enough is questionable but they can certainly bring that element to their game.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Obviously you're very committed to hating this signing but you're reasoning is really shallow.

It's a one year, minimum deal for a guy who is pretty easily the 5th best defenseman now on our roster.

He's bad defensively. Ok, but he's good offensively and we're very weak on that skillset from our backend. Moreover, he just had a very good year defensively in his most recent season which he played under our current coach. Is it really so outlandish to think that Lavoilette may know how to utilize and protect this player to maximize his value considering he just did it?

Idk if I even understand what you're saying with Hajek or Jones... Gustafsson is an NHLer with near 400gp including a season where he scored 60pts. He's much closer to being another DeAngelo (minus the psychopathy) than another Hajek lol
He is not easily the 5th beat d man on this team. I don't hate the signing, I think it's laughable bc a week ago everyone here was celebrating the Jones signing bc he was going to be in the top 6, hell, how many people were saying miller with Fox, Jones w trouba and Lindgren traded again. Then they sign a shiney new toy who is a muffin in front of the net and everyone thinks he's some great add. It's just funny.

The leafs make all the right decisions? LOL. And Jones and Harpur are stable NHL Dmen? Depth and options are a good thing.
Leafs, caps, flyers, hawks, habs, flames

This is his 7th team in 4 years...

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
He is not easily the 5th beat d man on this team. I don't hate the signing, I think it's laughable bc a week ago everyone here was celebrating the Jones signing bc he was going to be in the top 6, hell, how many people were saying miller with Fox, Jones w trouba and Lindgren traded again. Then they sign a shiney new toy who is a muffin in front of the net and everyone thinks he's some great add. It's just funny.

well you quoted me directly, which is confusing bc I'm not everyone nor have I said any of those things about Jones.

I've been saying since the deadline that I hoped we'd acquire this player and proposed moving Jones, whom I don't see a ton of upside in.

he's a journeyman, so was Himmy Vesey. I don't see that as oh no, he must be awful. That's just the spin you put on it. It's just as easy to say, look at that considerably long list of teams who all at some point have seen enough of him to want to acquire him...

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

And again Jones and Harpur are proven NHL Dmen? It's a cheap depth signing of a 6/7 type guy than can run PP2. There is nothing to complain about.

Reactions: Michal

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Bullshit. We have Laf, Kakko, Kreider, Trocheck, and now Wheeler with some grit and can play a north-south game. Whether they do it enough is questionable but they can certainly bring that element to their game.
Yes bc the guys you listed are really hard to play against, lord knows they really wore the devils down and showed it last year. Trouba had more grit tossing his f***ing helmet than that lost of players did in 6 playoff games. Kreider was excellent on the pp but otherwise meh, trocheck was awful, and even bringing up kakko or laffy is laughable.

I don't hate Wheeler, but he's not what he was but he will be given a role here based on what he was and that is my issue.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Another great signing! What a day by Drury. Depth on D is:

Fox
Miller
Trouba
Lindgren
Schneider
Gustafson
Jones
Mackey
Harpur
Robertson
Scanlin
Emberson

Barring injuries really no need to add at the deadline.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004

You make a statement and people argue around that statement rather than addressing the actual core. Not everything is in a vacuum with player adds and roster fits. People seem to forget that the no names frank vatrano actually fit the need of this roster at the time he came here better than historically better and more talented players have when they came here at other times to fill similar holes. As herb brooks said "I'm not looking for the best players I'm looking for the right players"

Last edited:
Reactions: Graves97

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad