Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
So, any more trades for the Otters? I like the trade. Both teams win on this one. Who will be named the captain?
Have to trade Owen Hedrick. I expected him to go to the Soo with Radysch and Sambrook go elsewhere. Wouldn't be surprised if Maksimovich is traded, but they don't need to. He'll be back as an overager. We currently have 12 forwards and 8 D.

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
I like the deal with Soo in terms of value but I wish Erie could've recouped a 2nd rounder in 2018. Oh well. Brown will have to pick well in the 2019/2020 drafts. Don't know much about Fowler, but it looks like he has similar numbers to Sproule, to which isn't extremely encouraging. Hopefully at least one of the two breaks out during the 2nd half. Going to be critically important for Erie to get a high end offensive talent with their (presumed) top 5 pick this year.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
9 picks ( count them) and Fowler- that helps our cupboards big time!!!This is exactly what we needed.. For our teams futures sake we need to hit on a high end goalie prospect at some point IMO -we were close at one time w Colton Point but he went the college route..

Now the Kit fans can finally put to rest the "ERIE doesnt have a draft pick until the year 2035 thing "..I would worry more about getting out of the second round in this their CONTENDING YEAR than anything else..

hoping for another trade though..We do have more assets but I guess i was hoping for those picks to be in a tighter time frame- but i understand the reason for it...

THX to T -Rad and Sambrook for the solid play over the years and the 2017 Championship- go win yourselves another one w SSM!!

Reactions: LDN

Houndzfan

Dec 9, 2017
I like the deal with Soo in terms of value but I wish Erie could've recouped a 2nd rounder in 2018. Oh well. Brown will have to pick well in the 2019/2020 drafts. Don't know much about Fowler, but it looks like he has similar numbers to Sproule, to which isn't extremely encouraging. Hopefully at least one of the two breaks out during the 2nd half. Going to be critically important for Erie to get a high end offensive talent with their (presumed) top 5 pick this year.
Don't forget that Fowler played on a very talented Hounds team and fought for ice time. He'll be great for you and you won't have any complaints in the future. Hounds will miss him.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
first off...
very difficult to get picks in near future and this trade is basically for 7 picks. The 6th rounders are just there..be lucky to hit on one.

Yes no 2018 second but scooping a 3rd in 2018 was solid and at least gives us something. But getting seconds from 2019-2023 is big. 1 each year. Gives Erie some breathing room again. We can stop (mostly outside fans) hyperventilating about their draft picks. They still can add 1/2 for Headrick this year. Another few for Maksimovich next year. And Lodnia should fetch a good return.

I said before that i felt they needed to find a way to get one or two 2018 high picks back..they got 1 .. check
And they ultimately needed from 2019-2024..where they started with none...to recoup or get 11/12 high picks (2nd/3rd rd). So far we got 6 back. So good start. Feel like you can get 4 for Lodnia. And if we wanted to probably 3/4 for Mak if we moved him this year. But so far so good with recouping the picks. Basically got all the seconds back which is much harder and much more important than the 3rds.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Whats your lineup look like after the trade?

hopefully featuring the youngsters. We arent going to the playoffs. and even if we made no other trades (not likely) we are not winning many more games. So please can we give the young guys more ice? pleaseeeeee. Will also help us solidify or guarantee a top 3 pick, maybe top 2 pick. Which I want

Swap Fowler/Sproule into the top 9 periodically. But both should start getting more ice time. The one reason I didnt like Robsinson move is now erie has all LW and not enough true RW guys. Expect one of or both of their top ohl and import draft picks to be Right shot forwards.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
In May after Erie won title this was their known 2000-2001 players who would make roster:

Sproule (2001)

Currently this is their group of 2000-2001s on roster

Sproule (01), Fowler (01), Golod (00), Gritz (00), Mack (00), Yetman (00), Patry (00), Beamish (00), Timmermans (00), Duff (00), Henry (00), Murphy (00).

Lol good job, Dave!
Considering too that we added Fowler, Gritz, Beamish in trades. Golod was a come out of no where suprise. All of those 4, along with i would say Sproule and Duff have good to great potential. A lot to work with now. And Kischnick (01) who has great potential will be here next year as he already signed.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
while talking about draft picks i cant help but think of the players for whom we have traded for or drafted that have played for us in recent years - but who now are not with the team and have zero value moving forward...

Specifically LAWR,LIZOTTE,EDWARDSON,FERGUS...The last 3 we : A) could have used this year ...B)traded for picks ...C) traded for another player

That hurts especially when were looking to recoup from basically 4 years straight of going for it
i dont get your point
you have to trade to get. Erie over the 4 years moved so many picks. And many valuable players, including - Trent Fox, Jesse Saban, Hayden Hodgson, Allan McShane, and Brett Neumann. Eries drafting has been up there with the best. In all honesty its been better than Windsor, Kitchener, London over recent years. Arent many teams I put clearly above erie. The problem is the higher picks we have lacked recently.

as for the guys you mentioned - Lawr, yes epic bust. But it was a draft pick in round 2. As long as you hit on round 1.. you can afford to go 50/50 on your round 2-6 picks. I think Erie hit on round 1 with Raddysh dont ya think? Erie made up for that bust by getting Maksimovich in round 3 and Sambrook in round 10. Had a chance at Colton Point in round 14.
As for Lizotte - the only value we moved for him was a 5th in 2018 (not a big deal) and a 3rd...in 2022.
Edwardson chose to leave team. He wasnt getting ice time. Nobody claimed him or wanted him because he is limited. And now after recent trades its clear that he would currently be anywhere from 9-13th best forward on next year's team.. but thats as a 4th year player on a team trying to rebuild with youth. And Carson would never be a fit for a future OA. I was never a big Fergus guy. He's solid but as an OA he was never going to get you much in a trade

I dont see your point. Erie has had great drafting recently. Their trades last year were great, and now that Bassin is gone I expect that to continue. The Beamish deal may turn out to be a steal..kid had tons of hype out of draft and Dave Brown is drooling over him. Robinson has some skills but limited ceiling. And the Fowler move was a no brainer. got 5 seconds spread over 5 drafts. and an elite skater with elite IQ who is 16. Cant complain

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Erie I would have to agree have drafted very well the past few years, tough to see a team that has done better? With regards to Bassin, as silly as some of his moves made were he still had some finger prints on last years "1/2 way finished club" don't you think? Not a lot but some? Man that was one stacked team.

But Draft ........ IMO no one has been much better than Erie the last 4-5 years have to agree.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Erie I would have to agree have drafted very well the past few years, tough to see a team that has done better? With regards to Bassin, as silly as some of his moves made were he still had some finger prints on last years "1/2 way finished club" don't you think? Not a lot but some? Man that was one stacked team.

But Draft ........ IMO no one has been much better than Erie the last 4-5 years have to agree.

Greyhounds maybe?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Greyhounds maybe?
yes SSM and Erie among the top 3 or 4 teams at drafting. The difference with the Greyhounds imo is getting more guys to report. Which helped make the 2014 draft epic for them. Erie has had a chance for guys like Colton Point. If they just started hitting on 1 of those every other drafts it would make a huge difference. Next up for Erie with that: Kyle Schroeder.
Recent draft picks for Erie:
2015 - 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th
2016 - 1st, 3rd
2017 - 1st, 5th
no seconds for 3 years. only 2 thirds and 1 fourth.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
OTTERSGUY-yes you are correct .I appreciate your insight and info you provide on the team, however you did not understand my post at all..I am not even remotely referring to erie having made bad draft picks, I never said that..but rather referring to how in this case over the last year or two (when drafts picks are most needed) , there is 4 players right off the bat who are no longer with the team that we have either payed for in the form of draft picks or players or still have yet to pay for that do not even play for the Otters anymore .Actually make that 5 and include Murdaca..Possibly 6 depending on Timpano but could be an injury related loss to the team.. ..

While every team goes through the same thing , its a part of the game- i get it-i was at the last game thinking of all of these draft picks and of the variety of reasons that we have used and still are yet to use on players who are no longer with the organization..Man could we ever have used those now and in the near future..

Take Lizotte ..Great young man pursuing his dream of having his own clothing line i believe.its his right or another players right to leave the team for a change or a chance at more playing time ( Fergus) etc.....if your stats are correct we used a 2018 5th rd pick and a 2022 3rd rd pick for Lizotte ...I believe though we also may have given a player as well???...as you can see thats a huge amount of assets given for a player who does not even currently play for the otters....we cant trade him, cant play him or cant trade another future pick for him because he no longer plays hockey..

I was just thinking out loud about this due to the trades and draft picks we are recouping but i cant make this any clearer..

i was confused because they never traded for Fergus, Edwardson, or Lawr. So the only asset they "wasted" on them was 1 pick that they owned. We drafted them. And other than Lawr, all were late picks so having them give you 2 serviceable seasons and an OHL title is already a win (Fergus) or some depth for 1.5 years (edwardson). You have to understand that Fergus had limited value as OA defender. He is an average 2nd pairing guy and would use the OA tag for any team that wanted him. There are better OA options if a team even had space for him as OA. Yet we got a 2018 third rounder and some conditional picks for him. Thats actually a good get because its this upcoming draft. When Barrie then traded him away to Hamilton a few weeks later, he fetched the exact same price... so there you have it - that was his value
Barrie did not get a player back for Lizotte -- it was the 5th and the 3rd pick plus another random late (i believe 10th rounder?). Erie just added a 6th in 2018 from SSM in Raddysh deal so basically recouped it. And the 3rd in 2022 for Lizotte?- -- please, they have 5 years to get that back. not a big deal. Lizotte pursued other career things because he wasnt going to make the team as an OA. and there would have been zero value for him as a 3rd pairing OA defender. He can spin it as he wants it but part of his decision to leave was because he knew he wouldnt make many teams based on his age and abilities.

are you trying to say we shouldnt have bought Murdaca? Without him we lose last year. They spent a cond 14th rounder on him and he was crucial to a title. Cant get better than that. Off ice issues led to his demise. Erie had no choice. They tried to trade him but nobody wanted him..probably aware of off ice issues. But still he was basically added as FA and helped win a title. No shame in that. You won that trade. You cant control other teams valuing your players. Nobody wanted Carson or Joe so they had to be let go. But they never costed erie a dime in valuable assets.

i just still dont get your point. You want the picks back that we traded for Cirelli and Foegele? We are still "paying" for Cirelli with Mcshane in the league and picks in the 2020s. But thats the league. Cirelli graduated, thats what happens. Or if you want the late round (i believe 8th rounder) we used on Edwardson? 8th rounders are like throwing darts blindfolded. bottom line is that Erie got their title. Made necessary moves every year they went for it but fell short a few times. The only regrets i have is going for it in 2013-14, a year too early. and then not selling off a little in 2015-16. But look, they were 50 win teams. hard to not justify their line of thinking. You cant win every trade. But yet you have to make them. Guys like Lizotte and Murdaca had no value..erie did what they had to do..London would have done the same thing. Fergus' value was confirmed when Barrie moved him to Hamilton.

Last edited:
Reactions: EON

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Erie has done a terrific job in hitting with later round picks (and non-drafted players). It would be interesting to compare how other teams do with late round picks. Maybe we are average, I just don't know. But weren't Dermott, Brown and a certain little guy from Michigan later round picks or non-drafted?

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
And, I believe Golod is a late round pick. I think he is going to be a very big player in this league. He is terrific.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
And, I believe Golod is a late round pick. I think he is going to be a very big player in this league. He is terrific.
13th round for Golod. He has some skills no doubt and if he keeps getting stronger then he can be special.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Nice nice by Brown. Picks are in much better shape. Moving Lodnia next season should restock them completely.

I don't mind that they didn't get a 2018 2nd in this move. Their entire lineup is eligible to return next season except for Fellows and Headrick so there won't be a lot of open spots. I expect they'll take a forward with their top pick plus there will be some guys from the 2017 draft looking for spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad