Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Henderson to Ottawa is the rumour. Not confirmed yet.
I know erie was sniffing around with getting him. Maybe they are looking elsewhere now.

Personally was the only likely available OA forward I would have scooped up. Don’t want to spend much of anything and also want to give the young guys ice time. Adding a Fellows like OA, with limited skills, was the only option I saw as making sense. Perhaps Erie thinking differently

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I know erie was sniffing around with getting him. Maybe they are looking elsewhere now.

Personally was the only likely available OA forward I would have scooped up. Don’t want to spend much of anything and also want to give the young guys ice time. Adding a Fellows like OA, with limited skills, was the only option I saw as making sense. Perhaps Erie thinking differently
The rumour about Henderson is on twitter. OHLinsiders.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Love the move. Helps stabilize things. Add a center which we could use. And keeps us competing. Brown talked about not wanting this team to just quit because they sold off. This sends a message that hey we can still be in games and win some.

Btw regardless of our record compared to east teams, if Erie misses playoffs they are guaranteed top 4 pick. Missing playoffs seems likely and honestly almost a guarantee. OS is an eight seed but going for it - 6 points ahead of us with 2 games in hand. Guelph with a game in hand is 10 points ahead of us. And Saginaw is 13 points ahead with 2 games in hand. No way erie can make that up. I for one am happy. Locked into a top 4 pick is big. But this also keeps me coming to games because they are young and bottom of standings but still have enough talent to compete

Can’t wait to see Fowler. Looking forward to what Beamish brings.
What I would do with lines-
77 - 27 - 39
9 - Laj - 21
96 - 14 - 7
15 - 10 - 22

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The GMs in this league are stupid. Seeing the price that teams pay in rebuild years are ridiculous. Mostly eastern teams. And it’s not changing anytime soon.
London, Windsor, Erie all set up for the future. SSM, Kitchener are well run organizations. Guelph is going to get back to who they are. The West just has 6 of the top 8 or 9 best run franchises. And the gap has never been wider. Wow.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I like the pickup. Cheap and should help add a little more offense in after moving Raddysh. They won't win much but should stay competitive and will likely end up picking #3 or #4. My lineup would be:

Poddubnyi-Lodnia-Golod
Maksimovich-Fowler-Lajeunesse
Fellows-Gritz-Girhiny
Patry-Sproule-Mack/Yetman

Duff-Headrick
Martin-Wainman
Beamish-Byrne
Henry-Timmermans

Oberoi
Murphy

We'll see if they move a dman and go with a 7 man rotation. Otherwise I think Brown is done.

Reactions: ottersguy

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Hope you are right with those lines EON! Would love them more than mine. I want Fowler immediately in the top 6 to start. See what he can handle. Said before Mak would be a great fit for him. Mak just can play with anyone and has plenty of experience. Add another vet like lajeunesse and it seems like it could help guide him and develop him. Soo fans seem to indicate that the only thing slowing him down was his lack of minutes and the guys he played with. Based on their forwards though he should at least slot into the top 9.
Just think erie is still trying to stay competitive. Hence the add of lajeunesse. Which means I expect them to keep playing Girhiny or Fellows in the top 6. But I wouldn’t. Can still be competitive with Fowler in the top 6 while also giving him development and confidence for next year.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC

Looks my my guess that Byrne would get traded is coming true. Frees up playing time for Henry/Timmermans now.

Also this only leaves Girhiny and Maksimovich as OA candidates for next season.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Looks my my guess that Byrne would get traded is coming true. Frees up playing time for Henry/Timmermans now.

Also this only leaves Girhiny and Maksimovich as OA candidates for next season.

happy with it. Hate to be honest but Byrne is a turnover machine.

with a crowded D group and Kischnick expected to be here next year, it seems silly to keep Byrne. The most obvious odd man out after adding Beamish. He is decent but a 4/5 guy is his ceiling. And I really like the development of Duff and Martin. And Wainman at a year younger deserves more ice. We shall see with Beamish but based on Brown's drooling comments over him, the team is high on him. Kischnick has a higher ceiling. Timmermans/Henry need ice time to see what they can become. Its a numbers game. And Byrne is not good enough to stick around when others are 2-3 years younger and most with higher ceilings.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Byrne to Kingston for a 6th in 2018 and a 13th in 2020. Good to recover some picks for him, he was pushed out with the good play of Martin and Wainman. Beamish should be in the lineup regularly and Henry/Timmermans will probably alternate on the 3rd pair. I think Brown is done now.

Draft pick cupboard:

2018: 1st, HAM & SSM 3rd, 6th, KGN 6th, SSM 6th,, 7th, 8th, 9th, 11th, 12th, 13th
2019: 1st, SSM 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th
2020: 1st, GUE 2nd, 4th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 11th, 12th, 13th, KGN 13th, 14th, 15th
2021: 1st, SSM 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th & SSM 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th
2022: 1st, SSM 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th
2023: 1st, SSM 2nd, SSM 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th
2024-2026: untouched

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
The GMs in this league are stupid. Seeing the price that teams pay in rebuild years are ridiculous. Mostly eastern teams. And it’s not changing anytime soon.
London, Windsor, Erie all set up for the future. SSM, Kitchener are well run organizations. Guelph is going to get back to who they are. The West just has 6 of the top 8 or 9 best run franchises. And the gap has never been wider. Wow.

I'd believe it--look at how much Kingston and Hamilton are obliterating their future for a shot to get destroyed by the Soo Greyhounds or Sarnia Sting in the spring.. they're going to be awful in future years while rebuilding teams like yours rebound back towards the top.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I'd believe it--look at how much Kingston and Hamilton are obliterating their future for a shot to get destroyed by the Soo Greyhounds or Sarnia Sting in the spring.. they're going to be awful in future years while rebuilding teams like yours rebound back towards the top.
That is what everyone said about Erie and Windsor last year - both have done quite well getting closer to getting over the hump quickly.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
That is what everyone said about Erie and Windsor last year - both have done quite well getting closer to getting over the hump quickly.
Yes but Windsor was forced to because of the mem cup and Erie had the best sniper in recent CHL memory and two 2.0 ppg players. Any team will get depleted when they buy but you have to pick and choose when is the best to do that. My point is a team like Niagara should buy cheap, sell off, or do nothing. Kingston probably should have recognized that they were in a better position next year. They paid a lot. Ssm didn’t make moves last year because they were smart and recognized that this year they would only need to add 2/3 pieces.. not 4/5 pieces like Kingston has done

Another example of it is Hamilton. They bought but did they really do enough? And then there is PBO but mostly MISS sitting on top talent while being in a rebuild year. They didn’t buy enough last year and now they aren’t selling enough. The east is not as good as the west in part because of how they handle trades and buying/selling

Last edited:
Reactions: Lycanthrope

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Byrne to Kingston for a 6th in 2018 and a 13th in 2020. Good to recover some picks for him, he was pushed out with the good play of Martin and Wainman. Beamish should be in the lineup regularly and Henry/Timmermans will probably alternate on the 3rd pair. I think Brown is done now.

Draft pick cupboard:

2018: 1st, HAM & SSM 3rd, 6th, KGN 6th, SSM 6th,, 7th, 8th, 9th, 11th, 12th, 13th
2019: 1st, SSM 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th
2020: 1st, GUE 2nd, 4th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 11th, 12th, 13th, KGN 13th, 14th, 15th
2021: 1st, SSM 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th & SSM 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th
2022: 1st, SSM 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th
2023: 1st, SSM 2nd, SSM 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th
2024-2026: untouched
Wow pretty good! Not bad considering where we started
So far this year we got back 5 seconds, 3 thirds, 3 sixes
Traded away 1 fifth and 1 third

Next year lodnia should get us 3/4 high picks and a player. Maksimovich will be tougher because of the OA but if we are willing to sell him early, I think getting a 3 higher picks is reasonable.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Wow pretty good! Not bad considering where we started
So far this year we got back 5 seconds, 3 thirds, 3 sixes
Traded away 1 fifth and 1 third

Next year lodnia should get us 3/4 high picks and a player. Maksimovich will be tougher because of the OA but if we are willing to sell him early, I think getting a 3 higher picks is reasonable.
Must agree in that Kingston and Hamilton appear to have traded to acquire a strong core whereas the Soo traded to supplement their strong core.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
So, EON, Ottersguy, it lo0oks like the Otters did a great job to restack the cupboard. I do not know the rules of the trading game and drafting, but it appears that should Erie finish last, they would have a shot at this kid that is supposed to be pretty good? I remember some 5/6 years ago that Erie fought it out with another team for last place and won the sweepstakes. Not that I want them to lose, but it looks like it is possible to come in last. What is the rule on 1st round picks?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Buzz, it’s of my opinion that Dave Brown doesn’t want that. If Erie wanted Byfield they could have simply not added Lajeunesse and traded Lodnia/Mak. But personally I think Brown is trying to build a consistent top organization. One that doesn’t rely on tanking.
The record isn’t great but Erie has only lost 8 games by 3 or more goals- and only 2 by 4..no losses more than 4 goals. They are staying in games and I think that’s important to the coaching staff and Brown. Compare that mid year in 2011-12 when Erie lost 20 of their games by 3 or more - and 9 games by 5 or more goals. Including a few 6-8 goal losses. And that was just mid season for 2012

I would love Byfield but after adding Lajeunesse and keeping 27 and 9, I don’t think we have any shot unless we try. And I’m okay with that. Should at least miss the playoffs though which guarantees us a top 4 spot

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Buzz, the four non playoff teams get the top 4 draft spots. From there it's reverse order based on points. So right now the draft order would be:

1. Flint
2. Sudbury
3. Erie
4. Peterborough

And so on. I think Erie will end up finishing with that 3rd pick, maybe 4th. I don't see them falling behind Flint or Sudbury but a playoff spot is unlikely.

And ottersguy, I agree that's what Dave Brown is doing. And I agree with his strategy. Before the season I spoke to the fact that I want to see this team be at least competitive to keep the positive culture. Even if they miss the playoffs it's important that they compete every game. I think that greatly helps develop the team. Getting blown out constantly is no good for anyone.

I'm happy with what Brown did this trade deadline. Restocked the cupboard a bit, picked up some young talent (Fowler, Beamish) and Lajeunesse should help them stay competitive. The PK needs a lift too. With all of the players they have returning plus the #3/#4 overall pick and a top 12 import pick this team should look decent next season, probably a playoff team (though they should still sell Lodnia/Maksimovich to add additional picks).

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Don’t think I could have asked for much more. Especially when you consider what we lost, all the picks we lacked, and the coach we lost. We restocked most of the picks, but least the 2nd rounders which are harder to get. Added young talent - Fowler, Gritz, Beamish. Golod came out of no where. And have stayed somewhat competitive. Certainly haven’t embarrassed ourselves. Hartsburg appears like a solid hire. Things looking up.
All comes down to development and continued drafting success. If even just have of our young guys take a leap next year and we add that Import pick, then Erie should be slightly more competitive next year. But they will be much more exciting. Brown knows what he is doing too, Lodnia will surely be sold off and if they get the right price for Maksimovich then he’s likely gone too.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Agreed, Ottersguy. I don't want them to tank at all. It was just a hypothetical question. They have been very competitive and certainly fun to watch this year. To be honest, I think they compete as hard as any otter's team I have seen. They seem to have a lot of grit (or Gritz) this year.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Otters absolutely have to hit big on their first rounder this year. Cannot, under any circumstances, afford another Chris Marchese, Mitch Gaulton type of first round pick.

I might be off in saying this but I feel like part of the drafting issues in the past (2000s) related to the fact that say 60% of players didn’t want to come here. Now I would guess that close to 90-95% would have no issue reporting to Erie. That’s a big difference when it comes to drafting

Also correct me if I’m wrong but erie hasn’t drafted a defender in round 1 since Gaulton? Which would be 11 years now. And he wasn’t necessarily a bust from talent but injury issues. Drafting defenders in round 1 is far more of a risk than a forward. Which is why erie never does it. You have a better chance of hitting and developing on a late round defender than you do with a late round forward too. So makes sense to draft on offense. And given where there roster is - with 5 2000 or 2001s signed on the backend, no chance they draft a defender. Sure they have to hit on their top 4 pick but it’s a top 4 pick. Virtually everyone has to hit on their top picks. As long as we don’t reach on anyone we should be fine. And given where we are as a franchise, I don’t think we really have to reach on someone out of fear of the guy reporting to team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad