Erie Otters 2015-16 Season Thread (part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Didn't the BB team change a game date to accommodate the Otters in the past? It would be a grand gesture, especially since the BB team doesn't draw too well, and is not very good (I believe).

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Didn't the BB team change a game date to accommodate the Otters in the past? It would be a grand gesture, especially since the BB team doesn't draw too well, and is not very good (I believe).

I know the arena football team has. Not sure Bayhawks ever have. They are D-League so a bit more official and harder to just reschedule. I think Erie would be fine to play Easter night if they so decided. They draw very well on thanksgiving and New Year's Eve. Many celebrate Easter just in the morning. And many people have out of town family members that all decide to go to hockey game during holidays. So I think they would draw well on Easter if they wanted to play that night

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I guess I will wolf down the ham and make the 4 hour drive from Johnstown. I hope that the sermon is a short one.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I guess I will wolf down the ham and make the 4 hour drive from Johnstown. I hope that the sermon is a short one.

Hey I personally don't want them to play on Easter myself. Would rather relax all day. But I can totally see them going that route because of Bayhawks. The other option is play Monday night I guess. And I don't think any of this will be decided until after this weekend and their opponent is decided

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Friday-Sunday seems to be the most likely scenario. It sucks to have games on Good Friday and Easter Sunday but there's really nothing else that can be done about it with the Bayhawks home Thursday/Saturday.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Now London is the top dog. Hopefully it will motivate the Otters to beat the best. They can't be looking past OS. They are a good club. Any inclination as to who starts in goal for the 3 in 3?

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Now London is the top dog. Hopefully it will motivate the Otters to beat the best. They can't be looking past OS. They are a good club. Any inclination as to who starts in goal for the 3 in 3?

In fairness to Erie, London does have a game in hand.
As a Knights' fan, I'd like to see Lawr get the start for all 3 games, but my guess is that you'll see Williams start the first two games (games #66 and #67), and if the Otters or Knights can clinch 1st on Friday night, you'll see Lawr start game #68. If the season comes down to the last game of the year, then I think you'll see Williams in goal for all 3 games. Again, just a guess.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
In fairness to Erie, London does have a game in hand.
As a Knights' fan, I'd like to see Lawr get the start for all 3 games, but my guess is that you'll see Williams start the first two games (games #66 and #67), and if the Otters or Knights can clinch 1st on Friday night, you'll see Lawr start game #68. If the season comes down to the last game of the year, then I think you'll see Williams in goal for all 3 games. Again, just a guess.

Agreed. They've leaned on Williams heavily all season, no reason that will change now. He'll have four or five days of rest before the playoffs start anyways.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
A few options for the goalie situation-
1 > start Williams all three games. He's an overage guy that I think is capable of if. Actually Knoblauch said 2 months ago that if he had to he would play him in 3 in 3 because Williams is a veteran who takes care of his body. Only problem with this is playoffs are next week. And I prefer myself the weekend before he doesn't play 3 in 3 nights unless you plan on sweeping your first opponent and give Lawr a playoff start
2 > start Williams and pull him if a lead occurs after 1st period. Just depending on the flow decide what to do after 20 minutes.
3 > play Lawr and hope for the best and have Williams fully ready for weekend.

I think they should do option one or two because this team plays poorly with Lawr in net. They don't have confidence in him and you can tell. Option 2 though I think is possibility. Either way we will find out if Knoblauch has any confidence in Lawr. And at this point I say know with such critical games left. Although Knoblauch did say back in January he wouldn't over play his players just to chase down 1 seed.

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
A few options for the goalie situation-
1 > start Williams all three games. He's an overage guy that I think is capable of if. Actually Knoblauch said 2 months ago that if he had to he would play him in 3 in 3 because Williams is a veteran who takes care of his body. Only problem with this is playoffs are next week. And I prefer myself the weekend before he doesn't play 3 in 3 nights unless you plan on sweeping your first opponent and give Lawr a playoff start
2 > start Williams and pull him if a lead occurs after 1st period. Just depending on the flow decide what to do after 20 minutes.
3 > play Lawr and hope for the best and have Williams fully ready for weekend.

I think they should do option one or two because this team plays poorly with Lawr in net. They don't have confidence in him and you can tell. Option 2 though I think is possibility. Either way we will find out if Knoblauch has any confidence in Lawr. And at this point I say know with such critical games left. Although Knoblauch did say back in January he wouldn't over play his players just to chase down 1 seed.

There is zero chance option 2 occurs. No coach is going to pull his #1 goalie after the 1st period with a lead. That's just courting disaster. Williams is capable of playing 3 in 3.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Williams has played 4 career 3 in 3 games. Here's his stats. He's capable and I expect it

2012-2013
Erie@Niagara 2GA 45SV W .957
Erie@Kitchener 2GA 32SV W .941
Kitchener@Erie 3GA 45SV W .938

Niagara@Erie 5GA 20SV L .800
Sudbury@Erie 7GA 29SV L .806
Erie@Kitchener 6GA 25SV L .806

2014-2015
Erie@Niagara 3GA 6SV L .667 (pulled)
Sarnia@Erie 2GA 14SV W .875
Saginaw@Erie 1GA 22SV W .957

2015-2016
Oshawa@Erie 1GA 9SV W .900 (didn't start)
London@Erie 1GA 23SV W .958
Erie@kitchener 2GA 35SV W .946

Overall:
First game: 11GA 80SV 2-2 .879
Second game: 12GA 98SV 3-1 .891
Third game: 12GA 117SV 3-1 .907

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Girhiny, MacRae, Wainman, Egan, and Lawr stayed out for the extra work this morning. So looks like those four will be the scratches with Byrne entering back into the lineup, and Williams getting the start tonight.

Also congrats to Connor Brown on getting called up by the Maple Leafs, looks like there's a good chance he makes his NHL debut tonight.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Good for Connor Brown. It shows that the Otters have done a good job recently of scouting and drafting. If I am not mistaken, the Otters drafted Connor in the later rounds. He is a great kid.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Good for Connor Brown. It shows that the Otters have done a good job recently of scouting and drafting. If I am not mistaken, the Otters drafted Connor in the later rounds. He is a great kid.

13th round pick. And don't think he played the "college" card either.

Eamon5

Sep 1, 2007
There is zero chance option 2 occurs. No coach is going to pull his #1 goalie after the 1st period with a lead. That's just courting disaster. Williams is capable of playing 3 in 3.

Hunter pulled Parsons last night in the 2nd up 5-0

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Shaky second period, but other than that, great all around effort from the Otters tonight. You can definitely see the difference in the team finally having their normal six dmen back there once again.

DeBrincat back to back 50 goal seasons, incredible.

Well, now it's all down to this, home and home with London. Erie only needs to win one in regulation to clinch it thanks to the OHL's odd tiebreaker rule.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
The stage is set. Should be some great hockey the next 2 nights. Good luck to both and most important - no injuries.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Playoffs set for Friday- Sunday at home for Erie in round 1. Guessing both games at 7:00pm. Don't think Erie has ever played a earlier evening game in home playoff matchup. (Well at least not in recent memory)

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Good game last night. 2nd was a bit off but they clearly just tried to coast and look ahead to 2 games in 2 nights with resting the rest of game. Once Owen sound made it a game Erie decided to play again and took it back that quickly. A little upsetting that they didn't dominate 60 minute because of the 2nd period lag but impressive they got off to quick start which had been issue and impressive they turned up heat again when had to and giving up just 3 shots in 3rd period. What a difference the top 6 defenders make. I've learned over the last 3-4 weeks how much better Byrne is over Egan and wainmann. Wainmann too young and not ready. Hard for any 16 year old let alone 16 year old defender drafted in 4th round. And Egan is an offensive defenseman and as a result takes too many risks and chances and too many turnovers. Byrne keeps it simple and uses the body. Much better fit with Sambrook on 3rd pairing as Sambrook likes to push up the puck. Just eases the mind of the defense I think and eases the mind of Williams knowing the best 6 are back there. First time since late January they have had all 6 guys.
On to tonight. Big weekend ahead. I think London will win tonight. They are too hot and too hungry right now. I expect Erie too be hungry but unless Erie hits or plays like playoffs they won't win. Logically I see them winning if Williams is on his game and Erie uses that experience to play like its April. But they have to be ready to go. First goal wins tonight's game. London very very good at home. I'll say 4-2 London.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I have faith in the Otters, seemed to wake up last night, dominant third period. I'll say they gut out a 4-3 win to seal first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad