Value of: Eric Staal

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
No chance; LA has multiple superstars. Minnesota has none and very little hope at acquiring one unless they tank.

Sorry, no. Kopitar is the only real superstar the Wild can't match on the kings. Suter and Doughty are similar. Eric Staal isn't as good as Kopitar but he's not exactly a slouch with 42 goals this year. Carter was injured this year, but Zucker put up similar offensive numbers to his previous season. Granlund is better than Dustin Brown. Toffoli and Pearson aren't superstars. Dubnyk and Quick and similar.

Who are all these superstars LA has that Minnesota can't match with, and if LA has so many great superstars, why did they just get swept by a team with none?

That's not even taking into account that our prospect pool is better than theirs too, and they're in the same boat of not being likely to acquire any high end talent without tanking or trading high end talent they currently have.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Sorry, no. Kopitar is the only real superstar the Wild can't match on the kings. Suter and Doughty are similar. Eric Staal isn't as good as Kopitar but he's not exactly a slouch with 42 goals this year. Carter was injured this year, but Zucker put up similar offensive numbers to his previous season. Granlund is better than Dustin Brown. Toffoli and Pearson aren't superstars. Dubnyk and Quick and similar.

Who are all these superstars LA has that Minnesota can't match with, and if LA has so many great superstars, why did they just get swept by a team with none?

That's not even taking into account that our prospect pool is better than theirs too, and they're in the same boat of not being likely to acquire any high end talent without tanking or trading high end talent they currently have.

I stopped reading there because you clearly have no interest in performing an objective analysis of the matter.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I stopped reading there because you clearly have no interest in performing an objective analysis of the matter.

Prove me wrong then. I understand Doughty is better, but the difference is not nearly as much as you think it is.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Still, you're talking about a top 3 defenseman vs. a top 7 or 8 defenseman; it's the canyon between them that you're making it seem.

Oh, the same year that Martin St. Louis won the scoring title. Good to know.

Doughty, Kopitar, and Quick were the best players on two separate Cup winning teams and neither of their regular season numbers have fallen that far off what they were in those cup years. In fact, I think Doughty and Kopitar had their best regular season yet.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Oh, the same year that Martin St. Louis won the scoring title. Good to know.

Doughty, Kopitar, and Quick were the best players on two separate Cup winning teams and neither of their regular season numbers have fallen that far off what they were in those cup years. In fact, I think Doughty and Kopitar had their best regular season yet.

I was alive in 2012 and 2014, so that information I already had at my disposal.

Nobody is saying that Doughty isn't great; and it was even conceded that we don't have anybody that would approach the 2017-18 version of Kopitar. The point is, in the Doughty/Suter comparison, that there aren't miles between them. We aren't talking about Doughty vs. a fringe top pairing defenseman here.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I was alive in 2012 and 2014, so that information I already had at my disposal.

Nobody is saying that Doughty isn't great; and it was even conceded that we don't have anybody that would approach the 2017-18 version of Kopitar. The point is, in the Doughty/Suter comparison, that there aren't miles between them. We aren't talking about Doughty vs. a fringe top pairing defenseman here.

I’m not saying Suter sucks, but he’s 33, along with Staal, and not as good as Doughty.

Every cup winner has superstars and while the difference between Quick/Doughty/Kopitar and Dubnyk/Suter/Staal isn’t all that massive, the Wild just don’t have superstars. I don’t see a team winning a Stanley Cup with a 34 year old Staal, 34 year old Suter, and a 32 year old Dubnyk. In addition, all of the Kings trio has a history of elite playoff performances; the Wild trio all have poor career playoff numbers in comparison to their playoff numbers.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I’m not saying Suter sucks, but he’s 33, along with Staal, and not as good as Doughty.

Every cup winner has superstars and while the difference between Quick/Doughty/Kopitar and Dubnyk/Suter/Staal isn’t all that massive, the Wild just don’t have superstars. I don’t see a team winning a Stanley Cup with a 34 year old Staal, 34 year old Suter, and a 32 year old Dubnyk. In addition, all of the Kings trio has a history of elite playoff performances; the Wild trio all have poor career playoff numbers in comparison to their playoff numbers.
You keep leaning into an argument that no one is actually having with you.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Doughty is about to win his second Norris in 3 years. When was the last time Suter was even nominated?
Suter finished 5th last year to Doughty's 7th. That was the year that McDavid won the scoring race in case your memory is foggy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad