Value of: Eric Staal

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
2016-17. 28g, 65 pts.

2017-2018. 42g, 76 pts.

Signed for one more year at 3.5M. His value is probably to teams that are already Cup contenders, and want a final piece to take them over the top. Wild are looking for young player, prospects, or picks. Because of his low salary, Wild don't need to trade him, so keep that in mind when making offers.

Last edited:

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Coburn to make salary work + Joseph + Stephens + Raddysh? I doubt that’s enough but Staal would be wonderful in Tampa.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
2016-17. 28g, 65 pts.

2017-2018. 42g, 76 pts.

Signed for one more year at 3.5M. His value is probably to teams that are already Cup contenders, and want a final piece to take them over the top. Wild are looking for young player, prospects, or picks.

Those teams are most likely picking in the 20's. I'd be pretty ticked off if that was the return, or the main part of the return.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
doubt he's moved unless it's a deadline deal with minny being out of playoffs next season.

1st and a prospect at the deadline if he plays like he has last 2 years

Goose312

May 15, 2015
The ask for Staal would be good picks and prospects. The Wild wouldn't trade him if they want to be competitive next year so they don't want your lesser roster guys back.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Isn’t Minnesota looking to win?
They have made the playoffs 6 years in a row, and have made it into the second round twice. Have been spanked two years in a row 4-1 in the first round, with Staal, and no stud young players coming up.

Only a foolish person would bet on them to do any better next year.

Imagine a team like the Preds, Leafs, or the Caps with him?

Goose312

May 15, 2015
agreed. He doesn't get moved for " stuff".
But those teams do sometimes have things worth looking at. To use Vilardi as an example as I've been interested since he slipped to 11, the Kings I'm sure would be at least curious about Staal and those two as a base for a trade is the type of thing that would probably be interesting.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yes, but it's complicated.

Trading Staal would be a hell of a dramatic move for us, but I guess it can't be off the table entirely.
I agree, not off the table completely because of his age, but not all that likely either.

If it's a question of retooling, he's still most assuredly going to stay here, but if something dramatic happens and a rebuild is looked at, he's most assuredly gone.

It's not impossible that he's traded in a retool situation, just not probable.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
But those teams do sometimes have things worth looking at. To use Vilardi as an example as I've been interested since he slipped to 11, the Kings I'm sure would be at least curious about Staal and those two as a base for a trade is the type of thing that would probably be interesting.
I think LA is in the same situation as MN, if not worse.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Staal+2nd for Fiala+NSH 1st at the deadline next year. Is that even remotely close? Consider it a housewarming gift from Poile to Fenton.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Staal+2nd for Fiala+NSH 1st at the deadline next year. Is that even remotely close? Consider it a housewarming gift from Poile to Fenton.

I doubt it. They're already sitting with Johanson+Turris+Bonino down the middle, which is working out pretty well for them.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I doubt it. They're already sitting with Johanson+Turris+Bonino down the middle, which is working out pretty well for them.

That's fair. It's hard to make a deadline deal with Nashville. What else do they even need? They have the D, they have the C's. I suppose they need scoring wingers a la Fiala.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
agreed. He doesn't get moved for " stuff".
Most GMs would be scared of his preformance with the rangers 2 years ago. Also when do rental forwards ever get more than a 1st plus?

I think Wild fans should temper expectations a little bit. As a deadline rental I wouldnt expect more than a 1st (likely late) and a meh to pretty good prospect.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
LMAO you have to be kidding. Please tell me thats a joke

It's a pipe dream. Considering the "Consider it a housewarming gift from Poile to Fenton" line, I didn't think it would be taken as seriously as you clearly took it.

But if you do consider what Rick Nash got last year, it's not as far off as you make it seem. Staal this previous season had more goals and as many assists as Nash had points. And Nashville's pick will likely be 27-31 which I get the feeling you're severely overrating the value of.

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016
Most GMs would be scared of his preformance with the rangers 2 years ago. Also when do rental forwards ever get more than a 1st plus?

I think Wild fans should temper expectations a little bit. As a deadline rental I wouldnt expect more than a 1st (likely late) and a meh to pretty good prospect.

So GMs will be scared to trade for him because two years ago he was horribly misused? Did these last two year just not happen then?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So GMs will be scared to trade for him because two years ago he was horribly misused? Did these last two year just not happen then?
I didn't even see this post from him before I replied to the one above. Everything makes a lot more sense now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad