Value of: Eric Staal

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Carolina 2018 1st and Zykov. Would do Hanafan if the contract was longer.
Staal is a guy who needs to go to a bonafide Cup contender, to put them over the top. No offense, but I don't see CAR as being that....I think MN is closer.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
That's a lot of good prospects from TBL. Foote, plus any one of those two, and Walker(7th rounder), and I'd be more than happy...

Staal has been great in MN, but they(and he) have to face the fact that a Cup is probably not going to happen during his tenure there. Sucks for him, as he really likes MN, but hey, losing sucks, and people get fired. Staals low cap hit and short term makes him easy to move. The ultimate TDL acquisition. I think MN should move him during the summer, it they are going to move him at all. His mid season move didn't work well at all, but NYR seemed to go out of their way to make it fail.

Does TBL even need Staal, though?
Oh yeah you are the guy who went onto hf Tampa and talked up walker. I hope Sammy does pan out.

Tampa could use staal kinda, Stamkos Point Staal down the middle would be kind of OP lol.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It's interdivision so I am not sure if it will work but I could see fits in STL and COL. Perhaps CBJ too

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Oh yeah you are the guy who went onto hf Tampa and talked up walker. I hope Sammy does pan out.

Tampa could use staal kinda, Stamkos Point Staal down the middle would be kind of OP lol.
Sammy could be like his brothers and not pan out, but him winning the "Mr. Hockey"(best senior MN HS player)award and taking the NCAA route rather than Juniors might produce a different result. I will say that there was not much of a gap between him and Mittelstadt in terms of HS performance, both on the stat sheet and on the ice. I do think that the way the NHL is trending (less obstruction and stick work, more emphasis on skill, not size) plays in his favor. He is a great skater with non stop energy, has really good hands, and has a good hockey IQ.

Still a longshot....I mean, he's a 7th rounder.

That would be a sick C lineup. Would certainly give PIT a run for their money, and you've got the D, also.

What's the view on Foote after this past season?

Last edited:
Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Maybe. He already has a cup though.
I don't mean for Staal. I mean for the team he is going to. Left to him, I think Staal would prefer to stay in MN, where his family is comfortable and he is closest to Thunder Bay.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's interdivision so I am not sure if it will work but I could see fits in STL and COL. Perhaps CBJ too
I don't CBJ being able to pony up the players/picks. A mid late pick is nice, but not enough, and they'd need all their guns for a Cup run. Again, they are similar to MN...don't see a fit.

CO could certainly use Staal to give them more than one line, but i don't see them, or STL, threatening WPG or NSH, even with Staal. STL has some nice prospects, but it'd be foolish to trade them for a one year bet.

Reactions: DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I don't CBJ being able to pony up the players/picks. A mid late pick is nice, but not enough, and they'd need all their guns for a Cup run. Again, they are similar to MN...don't see a fit.

CO could certainly use Staal to give them more than one line, but i don't see them, or STL, threatening WPG or NSH, even with Staal. STL has some nice prospects, but it'd be foolish to trade them for a one year bet.

Not a CBJ fan, so just looking from the outside, they have Bob, Panarin and Z due for new deals in 2019-2020. If they want to make a 1 year push while they have cap room where they can add a significant piece (albeit Staal's salary is pretty low for what he brings) next year would be the year. After that, it seems to get a bit dicey with the 3 aforementioned players needing deals. They had PLD-Wennberg-Foligno-Letestu as C depth. I think Foligno is better served on the W. So having PLD, Staal and Wennberg as your top 9 Cs is better imo. They have enough wingers from the looks of it to support 3 good scoring lines.

I am not sure who they are willing to part with nor who MIN would find as a fair deal. I have always thought CBJ has had a good prospect pool. Like I said just an outsider's opinion here.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Carolina 2018 1st and Zykov. Would do Hanafan if the contract was longer.

Ah yes, asset management 101.

Trade 31yo player that had to have a change of scenery to rebound for 2 2nds and a middling prospect.
Wait 2 years, then buy said player back for a 1st in a solid draft AND a better prospect that will likely break into the league this upcoming season.

I don't know why Dundon doesn't stop the GM search now.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Most GMs would be scared of his preformance with the rangers 2 years ago. Also when do rental forwards ever get more than a 1st plus?

I think Wild fans should temper expectations a little bit. As a deadline rental I wouldnt expect more than a 1st (likely late) and a meh to pretty good prospect.
He was fine..AV used him as a 3LW

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Ah yes, asset management 101.

Trade 31yo player that had to have a change of scenery to rebound for 2 2nds and a middling prospect.
Wait 2 years, then buy said player back for a 1st in a solid draft AND a better prospect that will likely break into the league this upcoming season.

I don't know why Dundon doesn't stop the GM search now.

Most of that is sunk cost. We sold a player two years ago who needed a change of scenery and wasn't going to rebound here.

In the two years, our situation has changed and now we need to acquire a player to fit a critical role.

In both cases, the price is market value. There is no reason to get hung-up on both players being the same player unless you believe he's going to revert to his previous performance here.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Minnesota says YES!

We do?

He seems... unsensational. Average speed, not dynamically skilled, solid two-way player with a good work ethic. I mean, he sounds exactly like the Fletcher prospects we're sick of.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
We do?

He seems... unsensational. Average speed, not dynamically skilled, solid two-way player with a good work ethic. I mean, he sounds exactly like the Fletcher prospects we're sick of.
Yes, but a BOATLOAD of picks too... I'm assuming many of them of rather high quality, not 7th rounders.

Besides, just because that's a type of player we have a lot of now, doesn't mean that's not a type of player we want at all in the future.

Can make the more expensive of that type more expendable as he comes of age to help cap control.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yes, but a BOATLOAD of picks too... I'm assuming many of them of rather high quality, not 7th rounders.

Besides, just because that's a type of player we have a lot of now, doesn't mean that's not a type of player we want at all in the future.

Can make the more expensive of that type more expendable as he comes of age to help cap control.

I guess if it's Poehling + MTL 1st +MTL 2nd + that'd be a good return, you're right. Carry on.

Reactions: TaLoN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad