Player Discussion Eric Staal (The Frickin' All-Star)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eternalfaith

Aug 15, 2007
Minny
Looked good tonight with 2 goals against the Leafs. I think we have a real #1 center now. I think Koivu is looking better as well now because of him.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Koivu would be killer as a shutdown C, but we still need more from him than that. He and Granlund need a shooter on their line.

I like that Staal shoots the puck(looks to score, in other words), knows how to put himself in scoring positions, and seems to still have a bit of speed left.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Parise still not scoring though... how long do we let that go before we try him on Koivu's line instead?

Swap Parise/Granlund?

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Parise still not scoring though... how long do we let that go before we try him on Koivu's line instead?

Swap Parise/Granlund?

Not sure how likely it would be but you could put Parise with Granlund and Koivu, then move Zucker up so he can play with Coyle and Staal.

I wouldn't wanna break up Coyle/Staal and to a lesser extent Haula/Pominville/Nino, at least not this quickly for Haula's line.

Zucker did play with Coyle down in the AHL right? They are best buds off ice but it seems pretty unlikely that Boudreau would be willing to put Zucker on that line if he still wants more out of him.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Not sure how likely it would be but you could put Parise with Granlund and Koivu, then move Zucker up so he can play with Coyle and Staal.

I wouldn't wanna break up Coyle/Staal and to a lesser extent Haula/Pominville/Nino, at least not this quickly for Haula's line.

Zucker did play with Coyle down in the AHL right? They are best buds off ice but it seems pretty unlikely that Boudreau would be willing to put Zucker on that line if he still wants more out of him.
Zucker would have to really improve on his play before BB would be willing to make that move. Sounds like he's back in the doghouse.

Agree that Coyle has to stick with Staal, their games really mesh well. The Haula line should be untouchable at this point.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Parise won't be played anytime soon with anyone else. He may not be on the scoresheet much, but that line of Coyle, Staal, and Parise cycles that puck like no one and keep it hemmed in that zone. One of Staal's goals tonight was a direct result of Parise being Parise and getting in there and forechecking like a mad pitbull.

Also, I knew that the whole "Staal is washed up and can't skate" rubbish coming from outside sources was rubbish. I watched Staal on and off for years and he's never injured, and he's not 38.

I dare say Staal is currently our best player besides Suter.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I was worried about him until this game, to be honest. He seemed to reach a lot, and fall down because of it, which got him out of position. But he looked a lot better last night against the Leafs. I'd caution against getting too confident before we have a larger sample size, though. I mean his play/goal with Coyle on the (effectively) breakaway goal was great, but his second one was really just a pass that Parise missed that happened to go in.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
If he can stay consistent... He's one of our best players at 3.5M AAV, which is a steal.

P10p

May 15, 2012
I was worried about him until this game, to be honest. He seemed to reach a lot, and fall down because of it, which got him out of position. But he looked a lot better last night against the Leafs. I'd caution against getting too confident before we have a larger sample size, though. I mean his play/goal with Coyle on the (effectively) breakaway goal was great, but his second one was really just a pass that Parise missed that happened to go in.

Looked like the best forward in every game for me thus far.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Swap Parise/Granlund?

I'd be worried if Parise wasn't generating chances, but he is. Sometimes the puck just doesn't fall and that's fine. As long as the chances are there, the goals will come. Likely in bunches.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Staal looks good through 4 games, but obviously that's a small sample size and we can only hope he stays consistent throughout the season.

Not worried about Parise. Yes, he hasn't scored yet, but he does have 3 assists in 4 games so far this season. Like Staal, it's also just 4 games.

I think the one thing you can say about this Parise-Staal-Coyle line is that they are meeting or exceeding expectations with their production as a top line so far (combined 5g 5a through 4 games).

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'd be worried if Parise wasn't generating chances, but he is. Sometimes the puck just doesn't fall and that's fine. As long as the chances are there, the goals will come. Likely in bunches.

Just to play devils advocate. Wasn't the same thing said about Pommer last year?

I do think ZP will be fine, but if it starts running into double digits games without a goal I'll be concerned.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just to play devils advocate. Wasn't the same thing said about Pommer last year?

I do think ZP will be fine, but if it starts running into double digits games without a goal I'll be concerned.

I thought the same thing. Parise seems to have lost half a step. He's supposed to be the best player on that line, and he's the worst.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Sure, and it was right. The slump was longer than anticipated, but Pommer produced at a great rate the last 1/3rd of the season and looks good this season again.

I don't see anything different from Parise except he's got a better Center and Coyle is playing better so he doesn't stand out as much. He's doing what he's always done, just with more help.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
staal looks faster now than ever, jk! BB said he was unmotivated the last couple years on a lousy team. I think you gotta keep him and parise on a line for a while longer. don't pull a yeo, where you try something for two shifts and then change it again. good things take time.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Staal's been real positive surprise for me. Looks balanced in every area, is working hard, doesn't look slow and actually have been scoring too. He may not be a flashy superstar but looks good so far. Let's see if can keep it up and we can start calling him a Steal too..

Mancini79

Jul 4, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Staal's been real positive surprise for me. Looks balanced in every area, is working hard, doesn't look slow and actually have been scoring too. He may not be a flashy superstar but looks good so far. Let's see if can keep it up and we can start calling him a Steal too..

I can definitely see Staal producing between 25-30G (60-65pts.) if he keeps this play up. He is NOT a Heatley or Vanek. Like Vanek in DET, he's being utilized properly and it's producing results. Love this signing so far!

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed

I have nothing more to add. :clap::clap::clap:

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I can definitely see Staal producing between 25-30G (60-65pts.) if he keeps this play up. He is NOT a Heatley or Vanek. Like Vanek in DET, he's being utilized properly and it's producing results. Love this signing so far!

I'd be happy with anything over 45 points (20G-25A).

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
We still have 2/3 a season to play, but I have been pleasantly surprised with Staal.

If he gets ~55 points and performs in the playoffs, I will gladly eat crow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad