Player Discussion Eric Staal (The Frickin' All-Star)

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think he's played more games than most of his class, though he can't have played many playoff games?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think he's played more games than most of his class, though he can't have played many playoff games?

Staal 929 regular season games, 48 playoff games. Does have his name on the Cup. He's only missed 22 games to injury in his career, 12 of those came in one season.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Seems odd that he is the only guy from his draft class that is considered washed up. Too much tread gone from the tires or really needed a change? I don't see why he can't rebound to 60 points getting #1 ice time again.

Maybe i'm an optimist.

It has a lot more to do with his knee injury he sustained playing for Team Canada than it does "wear on the treads". Sometimes injuries really do stop a player from ever doing again what they were capable of just months before. His decline since that moment has been much sharper than most players have.

If you don't know the incident I'm referring to:

I think last season in NY was just a bad fit, but I wouldn't expect him to hit anywhere near 60 points. If he does, bully, but 40-50 seems a lot more likely.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think anything above 45 pts makes him a steal. He's also another leader. And most importantly he puts Coyle and Granlund in a position to succeed and finally gives us 3 lines that can score and defend (which Vanek's 3rd line never could). We now have Koivu/Staal/Haula as our top 9 Cs and Coyle/Granlund/Graovac as injury fill ins. I'd rather have gotten RNH since I believe we will lose a dmen anyways in expansion but Staal came at a ridiculous bargain.

I think he, unlike Heatley/Pominville/Vanek, will benefit from super low expectations...nobody expects much at all, whereas the other veteran/declining Fs were tasked with coming in and providing big offensive numbers for a team that couldn't score.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Seems odd that he is the only guy from his draft class that is considered washed up. Too much tread gone from the tires or really needed a change? I don't see why he can't rebound to 60 points getting #1 ice time again.

Maybe i'm an optimist.

His knee getting destroyed is the difference.

edit: BagHead beat me :handclap:

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
3rd degree MCL sprain that didn't need surgery isn't "destroyed".

tumblr_mne4b8iEaw1rilxczo1_500.gif

DrPP

Oct 21, 2009
If you watch the highlights from the end of last season, he seems to get around pretty well. Also, seemed to be snake bit with the Rangers. Hey, here's hopin'.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I don't disagree that it's enough to cause him to lose a step. But I don't get why he went off a cliff except for his own motivation. Getting him into a better situation has to have some rebound too it.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
I don't disagree that it's enough to cause him to lose a step. But I don't get why he went off a cliff except for his own motivation. Getting him into a better situation has to have some rebound too it.

This "better situation" is a team that every year goes off a cliff for no reason other than their own motivation?

Here's to what it sounds like when doves collide.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
This "better situation" is a team that every year goes off a cliff for no reason other than their own motivation?

Here's to what it sounds like when doves collide.

Maybe. Or, Yeo's frantic style of play just doesn't hold up for 82 games and players at some point crash. We will find out but getting #1 minutes again to me, is a better situation.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Maybe. Or, Yeo's frantic style of play just doesn't hold up for 82 games and players at some point crash. We will find out but getting #1 minutes again to me, is a better situation.

and arguably better linemates; with 20 & 46 who are elite at moving the puck. I'm expecting a much better season out of staal.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Couldn't watch the game last night due to working late. How did Staal look?

is he as slow and useless as everyone said?

I thought Staal looked good, at least to start the game he was great. He can skate, dish it off, and create space for himself. I like the signing. He was one of our better forwards last night (I know that isn't saying too much.)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Staal looked OK. Had a breakaway( was hooked from behind...should've been a penalty shot) and showed decent wheels...certainly not Vanek like.

No obvious downside to his game. Think he'll need time to find chemistry with his teammates, whomever they might be.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Staal could have had a hat trick tonight. He scored and had two other great to decent opportunities. He beat Wheeler coming up the ice, and he has a huge reach (the guy is what 6'4'' or 3''?), and you can tell he is crafty with the puck, and he doesn't waste time.

Call me crazy but I like him a lot. I also like our general veteran group. Parise, Staal, Koivu, Pomms, Suter, Dubs. I like it a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad