Confirmed with Link: Eric Staal (50% retained) to NYR for two 2nds (2016//2017) and Aleksi Saarela

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Saarela is good. Solid return. I'm expecting Staal to produce much more after a change of scenery.

Saarela was really good in world juniors.
He can play C / LW and also he can play powerplay and pk.

He's not hardest hitter or so and he needs more muscle and weight before to come North America.

Last edited:

Revenge of the Sieve

In Ronnie We Trust
Oct 8, 2010
Curious to see how people think this affects the possibility of Eric coming back in the summer?

He's still playing with a brother, and we know he likes that. But NYC is obviously a much bigger market and he'll be under the microscope much more.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
Curious to see how people think this affects the possibility of Eric coming back in the summer?

He's still playing with a brother, and we know he likes that. But NYC is obviously a much bigger market and he'll be under the microscope much more.

I think he'd had to take 4 to 5 million to come back to Carolina

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I don't think NY has the space to resign Eric long term.

Where are people getting that the Rags were the only team Staal would waive to?

Jati

Jan 30, 2011
He's not hardest hitter or so and he needs more muscle and weight before to come North America.

He already has a very tanky build (5'10, 194 lbs) so I don't think muscle and weight are the things that he needs to worry about.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think it all but cements it. New York's not going to have the type of money to retain him and ice a solid roster next year even if they wanted to. The only possible curveball is if the Leafs drive up with the ****ing Brinks truck full of cash like they did with Babcock after they inevitably strike out on Stamkos.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I know I've been hard on Eric these last couple of years, but there is no doubt when he was on he was fun to watch. It's a shame he never could duplicate 2006. Now we only have Cam Ward on our roster from that team. :(

Someone convince me that this is a good trade for us, because right now I'm not feeling it.

Anyone?

Highway29

Don dun well?
Mar 20, 2013
I think this is a good value - see it as 3 2nd round picks (Saarela's value is close to 2nd rd what I've seen him play)

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Yeah, there's nothing to complain about here. It would have been nice to get a 1st, but this is a fine package for what Staal brings now.

Kaljis

Jul 3, 2013
Kinda like it even we didn't get first.

Hopefully we get Eric back on summer :nod:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Yeah one aspect this whole thing stresses is that apparently it is important for Staal to play with his brother. I used to think there was almost no chance he'd sign here in the Summer, now I'm not as sure.

Revenge of the Sieve

In Ronnie We Trust
Oct 8, 2010

According to a few rankings I saw including one based on info from Eric Tulsky, 2 mid-late 2nds are worth more than a late first, so I'm OK with the draft pick compensation.

I don't know anything about Saarela but it seems like our scouting staff is on top of things in that league usually so hopefully he pans out.

Only concern I have is retaining the salary, not because of the cost since its only for the rest of the year, but more because it could hamstring GMRF on other deals (Liles, Ward, etc)

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
We probably just got paid 2 2nd rounds picks and a B if not A- level prospect to loan Eric to the Rangers for a few months after our season was wrecked by Brad ****ing Malone.

Fair enough I suppose. I know Erics trade value is rather low but for some reason this just feels underwhelming. But the Ranger fans hate what they just gave up so I guess thats good for us.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada

Being in Raleigh forever and having house and kids in school and stuff, chances are very very good he resigns back with us in summer. Wouldn't be a bad thing if the deal is right.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
We got two 2nds and an above average prospect for a guy with 33 points this year. That's an easy win.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I'd be surprised if Staal signs anywhere else other than Carolina or New York. He's won his cup, he's got his money, he really seems to just want to enjoy playing hockey with his brothers.

Either way, prediction: this team is going to be very good at some point before Eric retires, and they'll trade for him at the deadline.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Fair enough I suppose. I know Erics trade value is rather low but for some reason this just feels underwhelming. But the Ranger fans hate what they just gave up so I guess thats good for us.

Plus, the Facebookers hate it, so... :handclap:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I have no problem with this deal. Two 2nds isn't that much different than a late 1st. From what I've heard, Saarela has done nothing but increase his stock since being drafted and while there's not guarantee, is a solid prospect. Given how bad the Canes depth is and who the Canes have drafted with their 2nd rounders/2nd picks in the past 6 drafts (Dumoulin, Faulk, Rask, PDG, McGinn, Pesce (3rd round, but 2nd pick), Ned, and Aho), having 2 more 2nd rounders is a good thing.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'd be surprised if Staal signs anywhere else other than Carolina or New York. He's won his cup, he's got his money, he really seems to just want to enjoy playing hockey with his brothers.

Either way, prediction: this team is going to be very good at some point before Eric retires, and they'll trade for him at the deadline.

Hey, welcome back. We missed you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad