Recalled/Assigned: Eric O'Dell on waivers CRITICAL MOD WARNING POST #176

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Good news.

Being injured through TC, I can't see a scenario where he should have a spot on the roster. Now he can go to the Ice Caps, get up to game speed, and fill in for an injury when needed.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Retrospectively, this was a better move than trying to get him down on a conditioning stint. Now he doesn't have to clear in two weeks if there isn't a roster spot.

when the injuries come along i think we'll be glad he's coming up instead of John Albert.

Indeed. This also makes me worry a little less about signing him even if he doesn't get his 50 games this year. I don't know where he fits long term, but he's certainly a good piece to have at one's disposal.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Looks like I was right and everyone who was concerned was wrong.
Case closed.

I'm kidding!!!

Can say I am a bit surprised O'Dell wasn't picked up but then again the NHL (the other 29 NHL GM's) determined that O'Dell isn't an NHL player, happens a lot to our guys and some wondered why the Jets haven't made the playoffs the past three seasons, maybe just maybe it has been more about a lack of talent here than anything else!:(

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Best of both worlds, read my article to find out why. :)

Didn't get a chance to read the article, but I don't mind having a strong player in St. John's to help a guy like Kosmachuk develop his offense at the pro level.

jetkarma*

the other 29 NHL GM's) determined that O'Dell isn't an NHL player, happens a lot to our guys and some wondered why the Jets haven't made the playoffs the past three seasons, maybe just maybe it has been more about a lack of talent here than anything else!:(

Hmmm maybe just maybe ....

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Good thing we waived him then isn't it?

well no? I'd much much rather have him up than Thor, Peluso, Hali, and maybe Galiardi(reserving judgement on him) as a regular.

But if we make a (bad imo) decision to send him down, I sure am glad he cleared because the alternative is the likes of John Albert.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
tbh the only reason I think he cleared was because everyone has their opening rosters set. If he got waived any other time during the year I bet we would have seen a claim. Slightly risky move by Chevy, but it worked out pretty well this way, I like it.

jetkarma*

well no? I'd much much rather have him up than Thor, Peluso, Hali, and maybe Galiardi(reserving judgement on him) as a regular.

But if we make a (bad imo) decision to send him down, I sure am glad he cleared because the alternative is the likes of John Albert.

In your opinion you mean , regarding a bad decision. Others think it was a good decision and the results seem to provide the team with the most and best options.

Tell me as I am curious what is it about his extensive showing that makes you feel he is such a good player to illicit this view?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Not a surprise to me, and he'll add depth.

Though, if we have injuries and O'Dell is called up and playing a prominent role, we're in trouble, IMO. In trouble for a better record, but in line for a better draft pick. So it's not really all that bad.

Nov 24, 2006
Not even sure that O'Dell was even mentioned in the waiver thread on the main board. I think we may over value our own players sometimes.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Not even sure that O'Dell was even mentioned in the waiver thread on the main board. I think we may over value our own players sometimes.

Guys like Tangradi, O'Dell, Ellerby.. are tweeners, not good enough for the NHL but really good in the AHL...the kind of guys that excel in the KHL!

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Didn't expect that, but that's great news for the Ice caps.

Still think he should be a permanent member of the Jets this season.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

Yup. And if we are so worried about the impact to the team to lose O'Dell, might explain why most non-Jet fans predict such a low finish for Winnipeg this year. Might also explain why we had a thread with a bazillion posts relating to a trade of low performing, non-impact, AHL level forwards and a backup to our unproven backup goaltender.

Hey, I participated too. But I do think that it is representative of a larger issue. That being that the organization is not addressing the larger issue.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yup. And if we are so worried about the impact to the team to lose O'Dell, might explain why most non-Jet fans predict such a low finish for Winnipeg this year. Might also explain why we had a thread with a bazillion posts relating to a trade of low performing, non-impact, AHL level forwards and a backup to our unproven backup goaltender.

Hey, I participated too. But I do think that it is representative of a larger issue. That being that the organization is not addressing the larger issue.

The angst over moves of players on the lower edges of the team is precisely about that. That larger issue creates doubt about managements ability to handle issues of any size. There is a spillover effect.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne

I feel this is basically the case.

Most teams in the league have a couple guys at a similar point. In total there is probably 50 guys like this around the league.

To really be at risk of being claimed a guy needs to either have more upside (like Panik) or more NHL experience (like Prosser). O'Dell is smack in the middle of no man's land and the fact he didn't even get into a preseason game makes it pretty much impossible for a team to claim him

Is there a team in the league so hard up for talent that it makes sense for them to live with the ~5 games O'Dell is going to need to get up to game speed?

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I had zero doubt he would not get claimed
Low and behold.
He will be back before you realize it. He will be the first forward call up when someone gets hurt.

Last edited:

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Can say I am a bit surprised O'Dell wasn't picked up but then again the NHL (the other 29 NHL GM's) determined that O'Dell isn't an NHL player, happens a lot to our guys and some wondered why the Jets haven't made the playoffs the past three seasons, maybe just maybe it has been more about a lack of talent here than anything else!:(

Just because or garbage is worse than most others teams garbage doesn't mean we should get rid of our better garbage and hang on to our worse garbage. The Jets lack of talent suggests they should be trying to optimize their roster to the fullest extent because we have a much smaller margin for error.

Look at the Kings...one of the biggest reasons people attribute to their cup win was amazing depth...look at their 4th line Clifford Stoll Lewis and here the Jets are wasting two roster spots on players who in all honesty aren't NHL level players. Does anyone not think that our 4th line would be better if it was Galiardi Slater Halischuk/O'Dell and with one or two of those guys actually capable of being even remotely able to handle a bigger role for a week or two?

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
In your opinion you mean , regarding a bad decision. Others think it was a good decision and the results seem to provide the team with the most and best options.

Tell me as I am curious what is it about his extensive showing that makes you feel he is such a good player to illicit this view?

well yeah, that's what imo means, in my opinion.

he's 'such a good player' in comparison to the others I listed. I think his instincts and scoring touch are better than those players I listed. And he's certainly a better option than anything we have on the Rock.

My approach is I want to have better players. I think he's better at hockey than the ones I listed (granting that Thor/Peluso bring something some see as valuable).

I don't like that he was waived, and I certainly would not have liked if he was picked up and we lost depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad