Recalled/Assigned: Eric O'Dell on waivers CRITICAL MOD WARNING POST #176

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Figured this is thread worthy (it's currently in the GDT). Many had hoped/suspected O'Dell would be on the Jets roster to start the season, it appears he will not be and is now on waivers, with the intent of sending him to St. John's (AHL).

Ken Wiebe ‏@WiebeSunSports 10m10 minutes ago

#NHLJets place F Eric O'Dell on waivers. He will be sent to St. John's #IceCaps if he clears tomorrow at 11 a.m.

I think O'Dell is a quality young player who has shown very well at the AHL level and showed well in his 30 NHL games last season. I think he is also a player who could play efficiently on the 4th line with Slater and Galiardi (moving up and down the line-up into the top 9 if need be).

I personally don't like this. We will see how it plays out tomorrow and he may very well clear with teams having their rosters near set, but knowing we're taking the risk of losing him while having two of Thorburn and Peluso here, even Halischuk, I'm just not a big fan. I do not see where those three players offer the versatility and efficiency of O'Dell as a forward in general, who can play centre or wing, but also one who can move up and down into the top 9 or settle in on the 4th line and provide quality minutes even in a small role.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Yet both Thorburn and Peluso are still here?

How much better than them does he have to be? Seriously.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Jets management's stupidity stopped shocking me a long time ago. Terrible more, horrible asset management :shakehead

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I'm worried Edmonton, Carolina and Nashville could use a center

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Given the craptastic centre depth of many teams, I wouldn't be surprised to see him claimed.

But who knows. Now is about the only time to squeek him though.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I'm worried Edmonton, Carolina and Nashville could use a center

I would think O'Dell may be an attractive option for a team like Carolina, we'll see. He may be an attractive option to a few teams out there.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Figured this is thread worthy (it's currently in the GDT). Many had hoped/suspected O'Dell would be on the Jets roster to start the season, it appears he will not be and is now on waivers, with the intent of sending him to St. John's (AHL).

I think O'Dell is a quality young player who has shown very well at the AHL level and showed well in his 30 NHL games last season. I think he is also a player who could play efficiently on the 4th line with Slater and Galiardi (moving up and down the line-up into the top 9 if need be).

I personally don't like this. We will see how it plays out tomorrow and he may very well clear with teams having their rosters near set, but knowing we're taking the risk of losing him while having two of Thorburn and Peluso here, even Halischuk, I'm just not a big fan.

Don't like it at all either. This is a case where Thornton's contract blocks a player. I'm not at all a fan of keeping two face punchers.

jetkarma*

[mod] I HIGHLY doubt he gets claimed , and he isn't a third liner ( for sure at this point ) and what he may bring as a fourth liner wasn't deemed enough by the Jets . When he gets sent to St.John's that will be reaffirmed by the rest of the league.

He's a depth tweener that has a chance, a small one , to improve on that , if not he'll help the Ice Caps be a winning team .

Him playing in St.John's is best scenario imo , if he plays well and improves he can be called up , or in an injury situation he provides an option.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
As we've added depth I'm not surprised the team doesn't see any future for him in the top 9, but certainly he's an upgrade over a couple of our 4th line guys. But I guess the way Paul see's it, it's more about guys filling roles and the guys kept, in his mind fill those roles/needs better than Odell.

I wish him the best wherever he lands (if he's pick up by anyone), he just needs a break and he could provide some value on someone's 4th line in the NHL. If he was waived I suspect Chevy placed some calls to see if anyone would give up any pick for him and got no takers...thus waived.

Paul is making some tough decisions and some guys are gone. Moving forward to a brighter future.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets management's stupidity stopped shocking me a long time ago. Terrible more, horrible asset management :shakehead

.... to reiterate, this was Maurice's decision. He has control over the roster at this point working with the players that Chevy has accumulated.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
[mod] I HIGHLY doubt he gets claimed , and he isn't a third liner ( for sure at this point ) and what he may bring as a fourth liner wasn't deemed enough by the Jets . When he gets sent to St.John's that will be reaffirmed by the rest of the league.

He's a depth tweener that has a chance, a small one , to improve on that , if not he'll help the Ice Caps be a winning team .

Him playing in St.John's is best scenario imo , if he plays well and improves he can be called up , or in an injury situation he provides an option.

Really? What do Peluso and Thorburn bring to the team that is so hard to replace? O'Dell looked great last year whenever he got the chace.

The man has done EVERYTHING that was asked of him. Overcame major adversity with his heart issue, lit it up in the AHL. What more does the management want from him? The team's mantra is "draft and develop" but it is increasingly starting to become obvious that this club is never going to give a young player his due and veteren like Thorburn is always going to be higher up in the food chain.

Part of me hopes O'Dell gets claimed so he can finally play NHL hockey somewhere. We don't deserve him

Last edited by a moderator:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
.... to reiterate, this was Maurice's decision. He has control over the roster at this point working with the players that Chevy has accumulated.

I include Maurice in that indictment. At the of theday Chevy pulled the trigger. It's a GM's job to save the coach from himself to some extent, just like how they are doing in Toronto by waiving all the face punchers

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Think this will be the second Jet picked up waivers, MacLean was the first.:(

Interesting both are guys with past heart issues...

jetkarma*

Really? What do Peluso and Thorburn bring to the team that is so hard to replace? O'Dell looked great last year whenever he got the chace.

The man has done EVERYTHING that was asked of him. Overcame major adversity with his heart issue, lit it up in the AHL. What more does the management want from him? The team's mantra is "draft and develop" but it is increasingly starting to become obvious that this club is never going to give a young player his due and veteren like Thorburn is always going to be higher up in the food chain.

Part of me hopes O'Dell gets claimed so he can finally play NHL hockey somewhere. We don't deserve him

You really don't know what Peluso and Thorburn bring to the team? You may not like them or even agree but it is very obvious of the strengths they provide.

O'Dell did not look "great" imo . He looked average at best and looked like what he is ,an AHL NHL tweener that can be a scorer at the AHL level but not the NHL one ,and as of yet hasn't developed enough other attributes to offset that.

How do Scheifele , Trouba and Lowry not show we are not a draft and develop team that gives young players ( that DESERVE it ) their due?

Nothing against O'Dell , a solid depth player for now that isn't good enough to take a roster spot in the NHL. If he changes that I am sure the Jets will react accordingly but looking at the players on the horizon , I doubt he becomes a top 10 forward .

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Seriously . Is this going to be like the over reaction to the trade this week? I HIGHLY doubt he gets claimed , and he isn't a third liner ( for sure at this point ) and what he may bring as a fourth liner wasn't deemed enough by the Jets . When he gets sent to St.John's that will be reaffirmed by the rest of the league.

Agreed, a winning team takes different types of roles throughout the line up. I agree with your post it's very similar to mine, I would be fine if someone picked him up and gave him a chance. As we added depth the window here has closed for him.

Highly doubt anyone picks him up, Chevy likely has tried the trade route already but maybe takes him for free....but I doubt it.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
As we've added depth I'm not surprised the team doesn't see any future for him in the top 9, but certainly he's an upgrade over a couple of our 4th line guys. But I guess the way Paul see's it, it's more about guys filling roles and the guys kept, in his mind fill those roles/needs better than Odell.

I wish him the best wherever he lands (if he's pick up by anyone), he just needs a break and he could provide some value on someone's 4th line in the NHL. If he was waived I suspect Chevy placed some calls to see if anyone would give up any pick for him and got no takers...thus waived.

Paul is making some tough decisions and some guys are gone. Moving forward to a brighter future.

I agree with your post. O'Dell has become one of the odd men out. In the long run this is probably best for all parties. I do hope he stays with the org. though.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Good asset for the organization, hope he clears and plays a big role in St. John's and is ready when the inevitable injuries set in.

I don't think it's all doom and gloom if he doesn't however. It's a sign of the strength of our organization that we might actually lose a guy on waivers because so many players are ahead of him.

For everyone blaming the Thorburn contract (which I also hate), this is as much Halischuk, Lowry, and Galiardi blocking his way. Next year it might be Ehlers, Petan, Kosmachuk, Burmistrov, etc, etc.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
You really don't know what Peluso and Thorburn bring to the team? You may not like them or even agree but it is very obvious of the strengths they provide.

O'Dell did not look "great" imo . He looked average at best and looked like what he is ,an AHL NHL tweener that can be a scorer at the AHL level but not the NHL one ,and as of yet hasn't developed enough other attributes to offset that.

How do Scheifele , Trouba and Lowry not show we are not a draft and develop team that gives young players ( that DESERVE it ) their due?

Nothing against O'Dell , a solid depth player for now that isn't good enough to take a roster spot in the NHL. If he changes that I am sure the Jets will react accordingly but looking at the players on the horizon , I doubt he becomes a top 10 forward .

The only thing I'll say is that it's possible that the Jets place much more weight on their own drafted prospects than those they inherited. I suppose that's human nature. But it also sure looked to me in his brief stint last year, considering the role he was asked to play, O'Dell brings more value to the team than Thor/Peluso in tandem (by that I mean O'Dell and one of them would seem more useful than Thor and Peluso both on the roster together).

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I can see the logic in keeping one of Thorburn or Peluso (prefer Peluso). So I think the complaint here is, once again, "Why are we keeping Thorburn?".

Chevy/Maurice obviously want to keep this one fringe fourth line player on the team. It's fine to disagree with that. But the constant claims of bewilderment and incompetence over this, each time a prospect or AHL'er is sent down seem a little overblown.

Are we going to have to do this every time?

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
I can see the logic in keeping one of Thorburn or Peluso (prefer Peluso). So I think the complaint here is, once again, "Why are we keeping Thorburn?".

Chevy/Maurice obviously want to keep this one fringe fourth line player on the team. It's fine to disagree with that. But the constant claims of bewilderment and incompetence over this, each time a prospect or AHL'er is sent down seem a little overblown.

#ModPuckatron

sting13

Jul 30, 2011

Probably has to do with him being what seems like the most liked guy in the locker
room. A leader they don't want to part with despite his lack of offence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad