Speculation: End of the road for Phil Kessel?

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Why would NHL 24 cover ahtlete retire?

NiEsLZs.jpg
Guy absolutely has some of the best meme material in the NHL. Funny part is you don't need make many changes to the actual photos

Kessel is a legend and he deserves to play more if he wants to. Iron man streak and cups after dealing with Toronto media. What a stud

Last edited:

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
What does this even mean? Like it's uncommon for an American player to be good? What a terrible comment.
“Those people should know better”

“It’s not like it’s uncommon that an American player is good. “

“Geeze wihiz!”

Crazy 777!

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Phils fitness is the most underrated thing ever. 1286 games is more than luck.
Well we should call a spade a spade. I'd say it's equal parts luck, crippling fear of contact and sheer dedication in the gym. He's a player with a lot of warts. But he certainly doesn't get enough credit for the things he has done to give him the career he has had.

Missed games to cancer, a shoulder injury, and then played every single game thereafter, only interrupted by a lockout, a pandemic and summer.

Oh, there was also that time the US national team left him at home for some stupid reason.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Nearly 1300 games played and 1000 points.
NHL Ironman record.
Three time Stanley Cup Champion...

All those accomplishments and yet he will always be most remembered as the kid picked last at the NHL's first-ever All-Star Game draft.....

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Nah. He wants 1,000 points more than the streak, it seems.

If that’s the case, the Mustard Tiger will continue to prowl. It isn’t like he isn’t better than one player on ~30 other teams.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Well we should call a spade a spade. I'd say it's equal parts luck, crippling fear of contact and sheer dedication in the gym. He's a player with a lot of warts. But he certainly doesn't get enough credit for the things he has done to give him the career he has had.

Missed games to cancer, a shoulder injury, and then played every single game thereafter, only interrupted by a lockout, a pandemic and summer.

Oh, there was also that time the US national team left him at home for some stupid reason.
"sheer dedication to the gym" , lol i have no idea where you'd come up with that . i remember it was reported he dropped by Roberts gym for like a week one summer when he was with the Leafs but for the most part is was a running joke how he did the bare min when it came to working out

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
"sheer dedication to the gym" , lol i have no idea where you'd come up with that . i remember it was reported he dropped by Roberts gym for like a week one summer when he was with the Leafs but for the most part is was a running joke how he did the bare min when it came to working out
Bull. He always crushed it in Leafs fitness testing. And any time a teammate of his is on that Chiclets podcast they seem to have a story about working out with him and how much of a freak he is. The only people that ever talk negatively about his fitness are fans and hacks like Steve Simmons

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Bull. He always crushed it in Leafs fitness testing. And any time a teammate of his is on that Chiclets podcast they seem to have a story about working out with him and how much of a freak he is. The only people that ever talk negatively about his fitness are fans and hacks like Steve Simmons
he crushed nothing , i remember Cox throwing out a tweat about his high fitness level and the rest of the media making jokes about it for the next 2 weeks

Philly boy wasn't huffing and puffing like a chain smoker who walked a flight of stairs after every shift because he was a gym freak . lol

Last edited:

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Dude played one shift in one game and then walked out of the stadium...all to lay a claim for his "ironman" status. Hollywood-like shenanigans.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I suppose if Kessel wants to make the league minimum and accept sporadic playing time, then he might find another team to sign him. But why? The 'iron man' streak is rapidly becoming a bit of embarrassment.....two shifts a game, and then to the dressing-room in games where he shouldn't have even been playing.

He's had a great career and will get lots of HOF consideration. It's time.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

Simmons! That fat f*** has eaten a lot more hot dogs and has accomplished much less in life than Kessel.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I suppose if Kessel wants to make the league minimum and accept sporadic playing time, then he might find another team to sign him. But why? The 'iron man' streak is rapidly becoming a bit of embarrassment.....two shifts a game, and then to the dressing-room in games where he shouldn't have even been playing.

He's had a great career and will get lots of HOF consideration. It's time.
That could roll nicely into his mythos. The stories will grow over time... "he'd play two shifts, then hit the locker room for stadium dogs and brewskies, and sometimes you'd even catch sight of him in the press box, trying to talk to the healthy scratches"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad