Speculation: End of the road for Phil Kessel?

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
He's still unsigned heading into September, with pretty much no media talk about potential destinations or interest. He'll be 36 by season start and his play has fallen off a cliff ever since he was traded out of Pittsburgh. I'm hoping he gets one more season, if only for him to get the 8 points he needs to hit 1000 on the career. What are the chances Vegas takes him back on a cheap one-year deal?

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
I know a lot of teams will be scared off from signing him because of the lack of flexibility that the 'Iron Man streak' puts on the organization. You dont want to put your coach in a situation where he has to be that guy who ended the streak for him with healthy scratch. He is at the stage where he should be sat down for a few games every season. He could have his use on a pp2 somewhere and as veteran, but I do wonder if this might take a while.

Reactions: bh53 and Habsrule

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Maybe a team gives him a shot at the deadline as a free rental. The question is whether or not he can put up those 8 regular season points post deadline

KnockHobbler

Sep 13, 2018
I know a lot of teams will be scared off from signing him because of the lack of flexibility that the 'Iron Man streak' puts on the organization. You dont want to put your coach in a situation where he has to be that guy who ended the streak for him with healthy scratch. He is at the stage where he should be sat down for a few games every season. He could have his use on a pp2 somewhere and as veteran, but I do wonder if this might take a while.
He could go play for mike Babcock

Needs to open new shop- Phil's hotdogs.
Hot dog with a side of three big onion rings to represent his cups

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Why would NHL 24 cover ahtlete retire?

NiEsLZs.jpg

paragon

May 5, 2010
Might be the type of player a team signs two/three months into the season if they get a rash of injuries. Phil seems like the type of guy who wouldnt be offended to play a less than 82 game season at this point.
I think one of the only reasons for him to play would be to improve his NHL record ironman streak. He should just sign with Anaheim.

Reactions: biturbo19

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
He's still unsigned heading into September, with pretty much no media talk about potential destinations or interest. He'll be 36 by season start and his play has fallen off a cliff ever since he was traded out of Pittsburgh. I'm hoping he gets one more season, if only for him to get the 8 points he needs to hit 1000 on the career. What are the chances Vegas takes him back on a cheap one-year deal?
I think he wants a PTO in buffalo so he can also co-own a Teds hot dog place…..

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad