Speculation: End of the road for Phil Kessel?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Might be the type of player a team signs two/three months into the season if they get a rash of injuries. Phil seems like the type of guy who wouldnt be offended to play a less than 82 game season at this point.

He also doesn't seem like the guy who is going to be able to turn it on again and join a season already in progress.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
For a guy who detests the gym and pays no attention to his diet, it's remarkable how long he's lasted.

Enjoy your retirement, Phil. I see lots of fat guy Hawaii shirts in your future.
He likely lost a couple of seasons to that fact. A Phill Kessel in better shape probably does not fall off a cliff until 38 or 39. It's both a marvel that he lasted this long, and a pity that he denied himself a longer career. Also players who want a longer career should avoid those Iron Man streak like the plague. Sit down once a year if you have to because the streak become a inconvenience to the teams that might consider signing you.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Why would NHL 24 cover ahtlete retire?

NiEsLZs.jpg
3x Stanley Cup Champion Phil Kessel!

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Most Flames fans would torch me over this, but I'd take a flyer on him. He recorded 36 point last year with an average ice time of 12:01.

While we have spots open for promising youngsters, giving him a spot duty role, e.g. special teams, could come in handy.

I don't think for a minute that it will happen as Calgary is up against the cap, but his age shouldn't be a deterrent.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
He's still unsigned heading into September, with pretty much no media talk about potential destinations or interest. He'll be 36 by season start and his play has fallen off a cliff ever since he was traded out of Pittsburgh. I'm hoping he gets one more season, if only for him to get the 8 points he needs to hit 1000 on the career. What are the chances Vegas takes him back on a cheap one-year deal?
I expect Phil to find a home more than most other players currently in a limbo. He is not that old and can still produce.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
I sure hope it's not the end of the road for Kessel. One of the all-time greats. The dude's life is exactly what would happen if someone found a real genie-in-a-lamp.

Wish 1: I'd like to beat cancer
Wish 2: I'd like to be an NHL player who's never injured.
*hmmm.. now should I wish for a beautiful family, or to be beautiful myself?*
Wish 3:
phil-kessel-girlfriend-sandra-pereira-child-wife-nhl-30-second-2022.jpg

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
So Phil has announced that he is open to being healthy scratched allowing the iron man streak to end.

That tells me that he is trying to land on a good team. A team like Anaheim or San Jose could care less about playing Kessel in 82 games.

Landing on a good team might not be in the cards, as Phil provides only offence and, that has mostly dried up.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Him announcing he's willing to end the streak will help him out. No one wants to find themselves in a Yandle situation where the dude can't play anymore but he refuses to sit.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
He only needs 8 points for 1,000. Someone has to sign this guy.

Philadelphia has cheesesteak sandwiches
Chicago has deep dish pizza
Montreal has poutine

One of these franchises please step up and sign this man.
Calgary has beef of all shapes and styles , the naysayers are ignoring a key fact . It will be the team he retires with that will hoist his jersey into the rafters , all jokes aside there's a hell of a lot of jerseys hanging in barns in this league that belonged to guys that never won anything let alone set any sort of all time league records . Look into the rafters at the Vancouver barn for starters , nothing but losers . Phil is a PR dream right now .

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
That would be the best EA NHL cover ever.
I don't even own a console but I would buy the physical copy of that game .
Him announcing he's willing to end the streak will help him out. No one wants to find themselves in a Yandle situation where the dude can't play anymore but he refuses to sit.
To be fair they sat him that one game then they played him the rest of the season so they basically just screwed him from being the first to reach 1000 for no reason or gain . Talk about stupid they could have had a big ceremony and then let him walk or let him hit 1000 then sit him . That whole deal was just ignorant .

• Haha
Reactions: One Winged Angel

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
I'd love to see him sign somewhere long enough to get his 8 points. Maybe Vancouver, since Tocchet is the coach, or, ideally, Pittsburgh, so he can retire a Penguin

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
He only needs 8 points for 1,000. Someone has to sign this guy.

Philadelphia has cheesesteak sandwiches
Chicago has deep dish pizza
Montreal has poutine

One of these franchises please step up and sign this man.
Montreal are also known for their stadium / rink Hot-dogs….. even though I personally think they taste awful.

Winnipeg has an in arena favorite called a foot long Jet-Dog That has Cheese/ saur- Kraut/ bacon and perogies pieces on it

Reactions: Dr Awesome

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
He was really good for an American player. Won a few cups. Had one ball and yellow teeth. Let him go out gracefully.

I like Fatty Phil

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2