Elias Pettersson vs. Auston Matthews

Who would you take going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Pettersson already beat Matthews career high in assists in his rookie year and is a better two way player. It's obvious who the better player will be

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I agree right now Matthews looks to be the better player.

Matthews was on pace for 50+ goals and 90+ points. He will be a perennial threat for the Rocket from here on in. He is a gifted goal scorer. This is what makes him elite in my opinion.

In the post season, while the Leafs played only 5 games, he demonstrated how good he is with or without the puck. The points total will not show it but he took huge steps in his post season play.
Even though the qualifying series against Columbus didn't feel like an actual playoff series, since the stats count as playoff stats it's the first time where Matthews had more assists then goals scored. When you look at the 6 points he had that was only 2 goals and 4 assists. In 2017 and 2019 he had more goals scored then assists.

Reactions: Petrus

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Maybe objectively you go Matthews. He's more proven, he's already filled out to a man's body, he's a ridiculous level goalscorer, who will probably win multiple Rockets, and he's a better all-around player than a lot of people give him credit for.

That said, as a Canucks fan though, I wouldn't trade Pettersson for him. Yea part of it is becoming attached to the player as he grows, but he's a legitimate choice here as well. The underlying metrics show his effect on GF% is extremely high, and watching him in these playoffs you really see how much of a gamer he is and how willing he is to push through physical play and take abuse to make a play. He needs to get stronger and there's no way to know how much he'll be able to get and whether that will affect other parts of his game, but I think he'll end up fine. As it stands, his vision, playmaking, shot and transition ability are all top notch. He backchecks like a madman, and looks like he has the potential to be an elite 2-way player. His play still screams Datsyuk whenever you watch him, and a lot of the underlying numbers like him in similar ways. He even has the potential to be a decently better goalscorer than Datsyuk.

Matthews is awesome and will probably go down as one of the best goalscorers of all time. He's very similar to a young Stamkos, except he's a better 5v5 goalscorer, and I think a better all-around player. But just as I would take Datsyuk over Stamkos, I would take Pettersson over Matthews here. Pettersson has more risk in reaching that level than Matthews has, but seeing his drive and competitiveness, I think he gets there.

I respect your reasoning. Makes sense what your are saying.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Pettersson already beat Matthews career high in assists in his rookie year and is a better two way player. It's obvious who the better player will be
Let me know when Pettersson scores at 30+ goals because he's never done and it's something Matthews got every season with Toronto and scores at least 47 goals.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
It’s going to be comical when Pettersson tops 90 points first between the two players.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
And what exact stats can you point to proving Pettersson is better? It's not goal scoring or offensive production, nor is it raw or relative possession stats.

Well, first off, this isn't asking who is better now, it's asking going forward, but you're wrong here. 5v5 this regular season:

PetterssonMatthews
CF%54.3454.11
relCF%8.283.18
GF%63.2758.88
relGF%20.4813.21
xGF%54.7555.55
relxGF%8.946.18
HDCF%57.1956.26
relHDCF%10.11 8.22
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Their RAPM charts:

download (14).png

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Well, first off, this isn't asking who is better now, it's asking going forward, but you're wrong here. 5v5 this regular season:

PetterssonMatthews
CF%54.3454.11
relCF%8.283.18
GF%63.2758.88
relGF%20.4813.21
xGF%54.7555.55
relxGF%8.946.18
HDCF%57.1956.26
relHDCF%10.11 8.22
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Their RAPM charts:

View attachment 365342
Where did you get these? I looked on hockey reference

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Canucks fan voting Pettersson but only voting Pettersson because Im neutral so not sure how to vote in the poll

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Have your fun, but realize there isn't one GM in the NHL who would rather have Pettersson over Matthews if money isn't a factor.

It's close, but it's Matthews pretty clearly.

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Pettersson, already the better player and will be so moving forward.
If what Pettersson has done in the playoffs makes him better then Matthews even though he's never scored 30 goals and had more then 66 points in the regular season, I guess that means he's also better then Connor McDavid since he has the same amount of playoff points in his career that McDavid also has.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Right like a Leafs fan speaks in favour for all the GMS.

Also this BS about Pettersson having one great play off round should be put to rest when this is pretty much the third round at this point.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
If what Pettersson has done in the playoffs makes him better then Matthews even though he's never scored 30 goals and had more then 66 points in the regular season, I guess that means he's also better then Connor McDavid since he has the same amount of playoff points in his career that McDavid also has.

Except McDavid put up 100 point seasons and is a generational player. Matthews cant hold his jockstraps.

The example does not really apply here.

Pretty sure by now Pettersson in his first playoff season out-totalled Matthews 3 years of post-season play and is a better two way player while playing 10 or so games less.

As I said before, Petterson is slightly better, both are on the same tier.

Reactions: Garthinater

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
No you guys are. Matthews scores more points, more points per game, WAAAYYYY more goals, was a top 7 guy in the league for point shares this season and a top 5 guy in offensive point shares and is solid two way. Pettersson has played one great playoffs. There has never been a point in their careers where he has been the better player.
Except today, when the poll was created

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Except McDavid put up 100 point seasons and is a generational player. Matthews cant hold his jockstraps.

The example does not really apply here.

Pretty sure by now Pettersson in his first playoff season out-totalled Matthews 3 years of post-season player and is a better two way player.
I just think it's hypocritical to claim Pettersson is better then Matthews because he's doing better in the playoffs, even though he's matched McDavid's career playoff point totals. Besides that Matthews has still been better then Pettersson in the regular season when it comes to goals and points, so if that logic applies to McDavid then it should also apply to Matthews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad