Elden Ring - February 2022 (PC, PS4, PS5, XBOX ONE, XBOX SERIES S/X)

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Only problem I'm having so far is that my PS5 keeps trying to copy the PS4 disc whenever I turn it on, even though I did the upgrade.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Only problem I'm having so far is that my PS5 keeps trying to copy the PS4 disc whenever I turn it on, even though I did the upgrade.
I bought the PS5 version even though I've played every souls game other than Bloodborne on PC, for the simple reason that I heard the PC version had constant shader compilation stuttering. Only thing is

1. The 60 fps mode feels like it's dropping. I'm not going to go to digital foundry to check cause I need my first playthrough to be clean. But it doesn't feel anywhere near consistent

2. The pop-in. I don't know if I'm the only pop-in hater on here but it's so glaring in the opening area how bad the pop-in is. I've talked about it in lots of other games even on PC for games like cyberpunk and Forza horizon. Maybe I'm just playing closer to the tv/monitor than other people. The 30 fps mode doesn't fix it either all the settings are the exact same it just increases the resolution.

Edit: also the camera speed is way too high by default. No joke I turned it down to zero that's how overdone the camera speed is for me.

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
It was weird seeing "serious gamer" YouTubers on twitter (before I muted everything Elden ring, fromsoft and dark souls related, that is) say how they just didn't get souls games and how it was difficult for the sake of difficult and it wasn't fun dying over and over. Other than those two early game enemies, the opening difficulty is completely nerfed to accomodate them, and it's still not easy enough.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I bought the PS5 version even though I've played every souls game other than Bloodborne on PC, for the simple reason that I heard the PC version had constant shader compilation stuttering. Only thing is

1. The 60 fps mode feels like it's dropping. I'm not going to go to digital foundry to check cause I need my first playthrough to be clean. But it doesn't feel anywhere near consistent

2. The pop-in. I don't know if I'm the only pop-in hater on here but it's so glaring in the opening area how bad the pop-in is. I've talked about it in lots of other games even on PC for games like cyberpunk and Forza horizon. Maybe I'm just playing closer to the tv/monitor than other people. The 30 fps mode doesn't fix it either all the settings are the exact same it just increases the resolution.

Edit: also the camera speed is way too high by default. No joke I turned it down to zero that's how overdone the camera speed is for me.
The only way to experience a stable 60 fps is playing the PS4 version on your PS5. Otherwise, the performance will never be stable until its fixed, if it will be fixed.

The pop-in is hilarious for a game that looks as dated as Elden Ring. At least if your game doesn't deliver visually give us stable performance, failing to do both is completely unacceptable.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
It was weird seeing "serious gamer" YouTubers on twitter (before I muted everything Elden ring, fromsoft and dark souls related, that is) say how they just didn't get souls games and how it was difficult for the sake of difficult and it wasn't fun dying over and over. Other than those two early game enemies, the opening difficulty is completely nerfed to accomodate them, and it's still not easy enough.

The opening sequences are literally a copy and paste of Dark Souls.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
1. Well balanced how? It may have been because Bloodborne was my first FromSoft game, but I thought that was really difficult at the beginning. You've got to get through that town, there's that ogre banging on the door, the 2 werewolves on the bridge, and if you don't make the correct turns, you won't get to the shortcut and have to do it all over again. Not to repeat myself too many times, but I also felt Bloodborne front loaded their most difficult bosses. I would say the opposite and that Bloodborne wasn't well balanced.

2. That's not too surprising to me actually. I know they added jumping, stealth, a horse, a map, etc., but from the footage I've seen, it looks like a Souls game.

3. Oh boy.

By the way, what class did you start with? I think I'm with @Soldier13Fox and will use some sort of strength and faith hybrid.

1. I'm going to retract what I said - I haven't had enough time with the game. I thought Bloodborne was decently balanced though, but I had Soulsborne experience, so I didn't quite have the skill checks at the start. Father Gascogne took me less tries than Martyr Logarius for example. The rest of the bosses were 1, max 2 tries, until the DLC. As far as Elden Ring goes, I love the fact you can tackle on hard bosses relatively soon. I took on Margit and Tree sentinel way underlevelled and it was a blast.
2. It's definitely a Souls game with added depth. They're not even hiding it, the game literally starts with plin plon.
3. The more time I spend on the map, the more it feels like an open world game in the style of BotW, which is a great thing. We'll see how this holds. So far, the more I play, the more I love it.

Also, after a few tweaks, my performance on PC has been very good, with max settings.

Tonneau

May 15, 2017
Montreal
3. The more time I spend on the map, the more it feels like an open world game in the style of BotW

Please, don't compare it to BotW. Exploration in Elden Ring not only nets you tangible rewards, but when I see ruins in the distance I know there's going to be something there. In BotW your rewards are basically just orbs (or whatever they are) that you can exchange for hp or stamina. And most ruins in BotW just have a chest with rupees or something equally crappy... BotW has good moments and some good ideas, but they failed on the execution.

Elden Ring is the best open world adventure to date. Nothing I can think of is nearly as good. It's too bad that the game is slightly tarnished by performance issues (it's a FromSoftware game so that was to be expected).

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Please, don't compare it to BotW. Exploration in Elden Ring not only nets you tangible rewards, but when I see ruins in the distance I know there's going to be something there. In BotW your rewards are basically just orbs (or whatever they are) that you can exchange for hp or stamina. And most ruins in BotW just have a chest with rupees or something equally crappy... BotW has good moments and some good ideas, but they failed on the execution.

Elden Ring is the best open world adventure to date. Nothing I can think of is nearly as good. It's too bad that the game is slightly tarnished by performance issues (it's a FromSoftware game so that was to be expected).

Whatever the rewards are, it's clear where they got their inspiration from - hence the why I'll keep comparing it to BotW. Anyways, it doesn't matter, it's a brilliant game so far (Elden Ring that is).

Last edited:
Reactions: Tw1ster

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

The point of exploring in BOTW isn't to get some RPG-esque stat boosting item to fulfill one's gambling impulses. The point of looking for and completing shrines is that the entire process is fun and makes you use your brain a little.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
1. I'm going to retract what I said - I haven't had enough time with the game. I thought Bloodborne was decently balanced though, but I had Soulsborne experience, so I didn't quite have the skill checks at the start. Father Gascogne took me less tries than Martyr Logarius for example. The rest of the bosses were 1, max 2 tries, until the DLC. As far as Elden Ring goes, I love the fact you can tackle on hard bosses relatively soon. I took on Margit and Tree sentinel way underlevelled and it was a blast.
2. It's definitely a Souls game with added depth. They're not even hiding it, the game literally starts with plin plon.
3. The more time I spend on the map, the more it feels like an open world game in the style of BotW, which is a great thing. We'll see how this holds. So far, the more I play, the more I love it.

Also, after a few tweaks, my performance on PC has been very good, with max settings.
I came back to the Tree Sentinel once I got Torrent. Took me over 5 tries to even realize that when on Torrent, you can attack to your left with L1. Doh! Then I just about had him, but got stuck on a tree and then he one shots me. Finally got him, but I've had that happen to me a couple of times during boss fights. I'm chipping away for what seems like 10min, I get stuck on some environmental thing, and then I get one shotted. Kind of frustrating.

I've liked exploring more than I typically do in open world games. The amount of items, crafting, the number of menus, etc. is a little overwhelming so far. I think that's partly why I liked Sekiro so much. It was like here's your sword and a couple of simple easy to follow skill trees. Have fun. Elden Ring I have a million items already and I haven't gone very far from the start and I have no idea what they are used for :laugh:

I'm also having to really adjust coming from Hollow Knight. Everything is so fast in Hollow Knight and the Quick Slash charm was my favorite. Elden Ring is so much slower to do everything and obviously the stamina bar. Not saying it's bad, it's just an adjustment.

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The only way to experience a stable 60 fps is playing the PS4 version on your PS5. Otherwise, the performance will never be stable until its fixed, if it will be fixed.

The pop-in is hilarious for a game that looks as dated as Elden Ring. At least if your game doesn't deliver visually give us stable performance, failing to do both is completely unacceptable.
The art style is outstanding I don't need Demon's souls level graphics as long as the art direction is good but my goodness the 30 fps mode is just lazy literally that change nothing other than resolution. The draw distance needs to be pushed out. Im going to pirate it on PC to see if its even possible to increase the draw distance past what it currently is on PS5 without mods.

Also, lol, I unfortunately bought the PS5 version on disc or I actually would download the PS4 version.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I read there is over 80 bosses in this game. Lol. Honestly, it's a bit overwhelming to play since there is so many places to go and things to do. I have a feeling I'll have a ton of hours and not really have accomplished all that much.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Once I saw it was an 60 hr game I knew it was a big pass for me. Pretty sure about 12-15 hours is my absolute maximum these days before I get bored.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I read there is over 80 bosses in this game. Lol. Honestly, it's a bit overwhelming to play since there is so many places to go and things to do. I have a feeling I'll have a ton of hours and not really have accomplished all that much.
Some of the bosses are regular enemies.
Once I saw it was an 60 hr game I knew it was a big pass for me. Pretty sure about 12-15 hours is my absolute maximum these days before I get bored.
I'm generally with you, except tbh I'm closer to 5 hours nowadays. But fromsoft games, Zelda games, etc are a different story.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Oh wait did this drop?:naughty:

It is legit everything I thought it would be.

I'm about 20 hours in and just about finished with the first area. Not to say there isn't more I can do there, at the very least there are two roaming bosses and one in an Evergaol who have beaten me up quite a few times.

I am trying to decide which direction to head in next. North or South? I also somehow wound up in a far off place that I have access to.

Running a melee/dex build. Focused on bleed weapons for the time being.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I shit on it for a different reason. And yes you’re on the mark about the performance.

So it's not a review? Just snark. Did you see IGN's review of Madden where they copied and pasted their review of the previous Madden and thought "Hey i'll be unoriginal and edgy at the same time if i do what they did and the sarcastic internet community will love it"?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
The mystery and obfuscation are part of what I love about Souls and Souls-like games, but holy shit.

The fact that you can completely miss the Witch that gives you the bell for summons is stupid. It's just bad design. That is a core mechanic of the game going forward and they don't do f*** all to tell you that massive gameplay element is only available if you go back to the church at night to find the witch. Honestly, there are times From Software veers straight into trolling territory.
You don't need to do anything in any order, and aren't meant to do anything specifically. Just enjoy the crazyness.
For instance
The chest in Dragon-Burnt ruins that teleports you far away to Caelid, where you can pick up a bunch of crazy stuff. This could be the first thing you do in the game.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm not understanding how to stun some of the bigger enemies. I'll add a spoiler tag because I mention a few enemies, but they are both in Limgrave (and one has been mentioned already).

The first one is the giants with their stomachs ripped out and especially the one that is a boss in one of the caves. I would go in and summon wolves as a distraction. I'd get pretty far, but eventually I'd get caught in one of his big attacks and die. Then out of nowhere, I summoned the wolves, got a stun attack in, and then almost immediately after he got back up, got another stun attack. None of the wolves died, I don't think I took any damage, and it couldn't have been more than a minute to beat him.

I've only tried Margit a few times, but same thing. Sometimes I stun him and sometimes I don't.

The only thing I've thought was it is the jump attacks, but again, not always. Do you have to build up enough damage first? Does it have to be from behind? Does it have to be to a specific body part? Is it timing on the swing? I fee like I've tried this stuff, but maybe I'm not doing it right or maybe it's something else.

Last edited:

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
I'm not understanding how to stun some of the bigger enemies. I'll add a spoiler tag because I mention a few enemies, but they are both in Limgrave (and one has been mentioned already).

The first one is the giants with their stomachs ripped out and especially the one that is a boss in one of the caves. I would go in and summon wolves as a distraction. I'd get pretty far, but eventually I'd get caught in one of his big attacks and die. Then out of nowhere, I summoned the wolves, got a stun attack in, and then almost immediately after he got back up, got another stun attack. None of the wolves died, I don't think I took any damage, and it couldn't have been more than a minute to beat him.

I've only tried Margit a few times, but same thing. Sometimes I stun him and sometimes I don't.

The only thing I've thought was it is the jump attacks, but again, not always. Do you have to build up enough damage first? Does it have to be from behind? Does it have to be to a specific body part? Is it timing on the swing? I fee like I've tried this stuff, but maybe I'm not doing it right or maybe it's something else.

The first enemy you mention I've never stunned/parried. Just whack away at his legs/stay behind it. The boss you mention has attacks that can be parried.

Sometimes you'll get a parry if you break a bosses poise too.

The chest in Dragon-Burnt ruins that teleports you far away to Caelid, where you can pick up a bunch of crazy stuff. This could be the first thing you do in the game.
[/QUOTE]

I wound up there on my own, but am considering going there next. I kind of want to play it in order the first go.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The first enemy you mention I've never stunned/parried. Just whack away at his legs/stay behind it. The boss you mention has attacks that can be parried.

Sometimes you'll get a parry if you break a bosses poise too.
Well, you can, I just don't know what triggers it :laugh:. I've done it to the ones out in the open world, too.

OK, thanks. I guess I broke his poise, because I keep forgetting about the parry.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

This game is way bigger than 60 hours. I've seen soulsborne veterans not even be close to the end at 60h.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad