Elden Ring - February 2022 (PC, PS4, PS5, XBOX ONE, XBOX SERIES S/X)

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB

I imagine it performs similarly on the PS5 so might just be blown out of proportion.

This is without the day 1 patch so hopefully it will be improved but things aren't looking great, especially on Series X.

Some of their decisions leave me wondering what they're thinking. Why is the game capped at 60 fps on PC? Why is there no 30 fps cap for the quality modes on console? Why do none of the console modes hit 60 fps consistently? I've got the game preloaded and ready to play in a few hours but there's certainly reason to be a bit concerned here.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I'm not someone bothered by performance issues. I suffered through Cyberpunk on a base PS4 lol. But it's kinda funny the only way to get a consistent frame rate is to play the PS4 version on a PS5.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

This is without the day 1 patch so hopefully it will be improved but things aren't looking great, especially on Series X.

Some of their decisions leave me wondering what they're thinking. Why is the game capped at 60 fps on PC? Why is there no 30 fps cap for the quality modes on console? Why do none of the console modes hit 60 fps consistently? I've got the game preloaded and ready to play in a few hours but there's certainly reason to be a bit concerned here.

Ill wait for the Digital Foundry comparison. From Software specifically asked them not to post tech analysis until after the day 1 patch, which gives me the impression they know about the issues and expect most to be improved.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Ill wait for the Digital Foundry comparison. From Software specifically asked them not to post tech analysis until after the day 1 patch, which gives me the impression they know about the issues and expect most to be improved.

From their early thoughts:

The PC situation is also worth clarifying. As it currently stands the PC version using the latest 1.02 patch has a number of issues that will affect all hardware configurations on all graphical settings presets. Elden Ring is From Software's first foray into low-level APIs on PC and the game uses DirectX 12. As we have seen in other DX12 titles, there can be severe and distracting frame-time stuttering issues.

Doesn't appear that the patch has done enough to fix the big problems.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021

I played for ~2 hours on the XSX and the open world has pretty common dips.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I really love open world games, and this one seems like it has a really interesting and vast world, but man I just don't know if it's the one for me.

I absolutely hated the hour I spent playing Dark Souls 3 lol. Just not my type of game...but I desperately want to like this one cause it does look sick :laugh:

Reactions: Osprey

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I really love open world games, and this one seems like it has a really interesting and vast world, but man I just don't know if it's the one for me.

I absolutely hated the hour I spent playing Dark Souls 3 lol. Just not my type of game...but I desperately want to like this one cause it does look sick :laugh:

Consensus seems to be that this is one of the easiest Souls-like games because you can use weaker open world enemies to over-level yourself pretty easily.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Same here. I love open world games, but hated my time with all of the Dark Souls games. It felt like I was fighting the game's restrictions and mechanics more than its enemies. They're just not made with PC mouse and keyboard gamers like me in mind. The input lag, the framerate cap, the "lock on" mechanic, the way you always move forward when you attack, the key mapping and other things were just too much for me to endure. Though you probably have different reasons, we may be the only ones here hoping that Elden Ring is more like other RPGs and less like From Software's previous games. :laugh:
How are you supposed to use ashes? I have them equipped, but they're greyed out.

I had a similar issue in Dark Souls III before finally realizing that I had to add the item to my quick items (or whatever it's called) and then select and use it there. Try that.

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Okay I pre-ordered. Downloading both the PS4 and PS5 versions. Not sure if I'll prefer the locked 60 FPS or the improved graphics and loading times.

I'm going Astrologer and trying to cheese every enemy from afar because I'm gonna suck at this game.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I can't even play for another 3 hours and my build anxiety is eating away at me. Do I go STR/FTH not knowing if faith is super weak like they nerfed it for most of the games? Straight magic, which always feels way to OP? Full STR? Ugh.....

Edit: F dex!

Last edited:

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm not saying it doesn't have performance issues but why would they publish videos and analysis without an update when every person will be playing with the update?

Will be finishing horizon first, the jumping in. Looks like a game that comes only once maybe twice a generation.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Really like the game up to now.

The open world is designed like a massive Dark Souls area which you're free to explore, which is really cool.

That said, the issues I've had up to now:

1. The difficulty up to now isn't as well balanced as Dark Souls/Bloodborne. It might just be that I've played nearly 200 hours of soulsborne this year though.
2. I don't agree with people saying this is "more than just big Dark Souls 4". I'm just a few hours in, but to be honest this feels very much open world/big Dark Souls 4 up to now. I will update on this as I go further along however.
3. I've seen people say they're turned off by open world games. I would take this into consideration before buying the game if anyone has open world fatigue.
4. There are bugs and performance issues. I've noticed some specific areas of the game have frame drops that seem like bugs moreso than a hardware issue. This is almost expected in non Nintendo open world RPG. That being said, performance has been good outside of small glitches. I'm running a RTX3070 however.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Going FTH/STR st the moment. Probably restart a half dozen times in the next week. One things gmfor certain though...

If the onion knight doesn't make an appearance, I'm going to be very disappointed.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Really like the game up to now.

The open world is designed like a massive Dark Souls area which you're free to explore, which is really cool.

That said, the issues I've had up to now:

1. The difficulty up to now isn't as well balanced as Dark Souls/Bloodborne. It might just be that I've played nearly 200 hours of soulsborne this year though.
2. I don't agree with people saying this is "more than just big Dark Souls 4". I'm just a few hours in, but to be honest this feels very much open world/big Dark Souls 4 up to now. I will update on this as I go further along however.
3. I've seen people say they're turned off by open world games. I would take this into consideration before buying the game if anyone has open world fatigue.
4. There are bugs and performance issues. I've noticed some specific areas of the game have frame drops that seem like bugs moreso than a hardware issue. This is almost expected in non Nintendo open world RPG. That being said, performance has been good outside of small glitches. I'm running a RTX3070 however.
1. Well balanced how? It may have been because Bloodborne was my first FromSoft game, but I thought that was really difficult at the beginning. You've got to get through that town, there's that ogre banging on the door, the 2 werewolves on the bridge, and if you don't make the correct turns, you won't get to the shortcut and have to do it all over again. Not to repeat myself too many times, but I also felt Bloodborne front loaded their most difficult bosses. I would say the opposite and that Bloodborne wasn't well balanced.

2. That's not too surprising to me actually. I know they added jumping, stealth, a horse, a map, etc., but from the footage I've seen, it looks like a Souls game.

3. Oh boy.

By the way, what class did you start with? I think I'm with @Soldier13Fox and will use some sort of strength and faith hybrid.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Okay so after about 4 hours in, I freaking love this game.

I tried Bloodborne when it was super cheap and gave up really early. But the beauty of this open world design is it allows you to attack the game at your own pace. I'm just spamming ranged magic and sneaking up for backstabs when possible to conserve FP and all the open world encounters so far have been pretty manageable. Things get tougher with magic in caves and dungeons when things get more claustrophobic, but I'm managing. I've cleared one cave and part of one dungeon I think, picked up some new ashes to summon and beat what I assume was a mini-boss after about 8 attempts. And I know that if I run into a challenge that seems insurmountable I can just back out and return when I'm a lot stronger.

I definitely feel like the design makes it the most approachable for new players.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I keep flip flopping back and forth on buying it today. I want to but at the same time I’m reading Reddit and people are like very happy about taking 5 hours attempting to beat one boss. I just don’t want to invest that much time in like one percent of an entire game. Might not be worth it for me sadly. I could be overblowing the time though and maybe people do that on purpose I don’t know.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Okay so after about 4 hours in, I freaking love this game.

I tried Bloodborne when it was super cheap and gave up really early. But the beauty of this open world design is it allows you to attack the game at your own pace. I'm just spamming ranged magic and sneaking up for backstabs when possible to conserve FP and all the open world encounters so far have been pretty manageable. Things get tougher with magic in caves and dungeons when things get more claustrophobic, but I'm managing. I've cleared one cave and part of one dungeon I think, picked up some new ashes to summon and beat what I assume was a mini-boss after about 8 attempts. And I know that if I run into a challenge that seems insurmountable I can just back out and return when I'm a lot stronger.

I definitely feel like the design makes it the most approachable for new players.

What style of character did you go with?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I keep flip flopping back and forth on buying it today. I want to but at the same time I’m reading Reddit and people are like very happy about taking 5 hours attempting to beat one boss. I just don’t want to invest that much time in like one percent of an entire game. Might not be worth it for me sadly. I could be overblowing the time though and maybe people do that on purpose I don’t know.
If people are taking 5 hours to beat a boss, then they are under leveled, should skip that boss for the time being, continue on, level up, and return to it later. FromSoft games are tough, but 5hrs is excessive.

If you're new to FromSoft and you don't want to spend that much money on a game you don't know if you will like, then play Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3 first. You can usually find them pretty cheap and can see if you like the FromSoft experience. There is a steep learning curve to FromSoft games, but they are worth it if you can get over the hump. There's basically 2 groups of people. People who find them too challenging and give up or people who get over that hump and think FromSoft games are some of the best out there.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad