Proposal: Ekman-Larsson to Toronto

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Unless Lou would want OEL as a rental, Good luck affording him long term. Nylander and Marner will command around $7 million per long term and Matthews $11 million OEL probably close to $7 million per or $7.5 million per good luck.

I don't even want OEL but the idea that can't afford another contract like that isn't true at all.

The fact that they have Rielly, Kadri and Andersen signed cheaply and that they have a lot of rookie depth that's NHL ready means they can add one more big contract after Nylander, Marner and Matthews. We just don't know who that is yet.

It's been covered in depth my certain members of the Toronto media.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
They're both untouchable.

Liljegren is playing top pair minutes in the AHL as an 18 year old and Sheldon Keefe thinks Dermott is the best defenceman in the AHL.

Untouchable? OMG. I like both players. Wanted my favourite teams to draft them. To call them untouchable is ridiculous homerism.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Untouchable? OMG. I like both players. Wanted my favourite teams to draft them. To call them untouchable is ridiculous homerism.

Untouchable tag has more to do with other circumstances than just talent.

They have a deficiency in defence and these two are their best prospects, especially Liljegren since Toronto doesn't have much at RHD. They're also going to be cheap and under RFA control for a long time.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
How many games would it take for OEL to become a terribly over rated D on here after coming to the Leafs? 1? 2? All it takes is one mistake and our fan base will start the movement. Leaf fans think the top D in the NHL don't make mistakes.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I knew the proposed return going Arizona's way would be an underwhelming quantity over quality offer. I was not disappointed.

Come on. Kapanen and Liljegren are both stud prospects, plus another 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder. You don't think that's a quality package for a player who can leave after 1.5 seasons, considering the Yotes won't be close to contending for anything during that time?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Come on. Kapanen and Liljegren are both stud prospects, plus another 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder. You don't think that's a quality package for a player who can leave after 1.5 seasons, considering the Yotes won't be close to contending for anything during that time?
They are both good prospects, studs is a major stretch.

Look that kind of offer has value no question, but thats not something you accept for a #1D. If this was trade deadline 2019 then sure you give up OEL for one of those prospects a 1st and 2nd, but you sure as hell don't do it now. The team getting him really shouldn't be trading for him if they're only expecting to keep him for this season and next, they should be trading for him thinking he's going to be a good fit on a contending team that can be extended this summer.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
They are both good prospects, studs is a major stretch.

Look that kind of offer has value no question, but thats not something you accept for a #1D. If this was trade deadline 2019 then sure you give up OEL for one of those prospects a 1st and 2nd, but you sure as hell don't do it now. The team getting him really shouldn't be trading for him if they're only expecting to keep him for the next 2 seasons, they should be trading for him thinking he's going to be a good fit on a contending team that can be extended this summer.
Man you been on here for 4 years and more often than not its a deal like the 1 proposed that actually happens. How many times have you seen it where a star player is proposed and its always give us this young star++ and when ever said player is moved..........whadda ya know!! its for decent young talent and futures.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Man you been on here for 4 years and more often than not its a deal like the 1 proposed that actually happens. How many times have you seen it where a star player is proposed and its always give us this young star++ and when ever said player is moved..........whadda ya know!! its for decent young talent and futures.
Yeah those types of trades are often made for a reason though or on expiring contracts. You don't think the Coyotes are going to try to sign OEL this offseason before being forced into a deal like that? He's easily young enough that he still fits their rebuild as a piece to transition them out of their rebuild into a contending team.

There also hasn't been a Dman moved outside of the Weber-Suban trade that is as good as OEL in recent memory, especially not one that fits his age.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Replace Liljegren with Dermott and that's a sound deal for both sides.
Dermott gives them a player who can step in and play now.

Replacing Liljegren with Dermott is not sound for both sides. The deal, as structured is questionable at best as it's largely a futures package. Arizona needs impact players, not future maybes. Value in the OP may be close, but not a fit.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You're underestimating Marner. He has franchise player potential. The fact that we have other good young forwards doesn't make him expendable.

It kind of does. You have to deal from a position of strength. There's no other player on your team who's going to land you a #1D, so you either deal the least established of your big three, or you hope to draft and develop a #1, which is going to take a while.

OEL could very realistically be available, it seems, and you're unlikely to get another shot at a guy of this caliber. Either take it and balance out your team, or hope to God you can solidify the defense with lesser pieces. I just don't think that's likely.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
And for Yotes fans (or other fans) dismissing this offer immediately. I think you need to consider:

1. The Yotes have been brutal w/ OEL leading the D
2. OEL will likely look to play elsewhere when his contract is up
3. The Yotes are rebuilding

1. This trade proposal doesn't make the Yotes D better
2. Pure speculation
3. OEL is 26 years old, he fits in fine with a rebuild

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007

True.

I also think you need to put yourself in the Yotes' shoes. If they are trading Ekman-Larsson after a horrific start to the season, it makes sense for them to get a package of prospects/picks back when franchise players like Dahlin & Svechnikov could be there for the taking.

If they make a "hockey deal" and trade OEL for, say, Marner, and they end up getting hot and picking out of the top 2, they hurt themselves long-term IMO.

OUT: Ekman-Larsson, 3-7 pick in the 1st round
IN: Kapanen, Liljegren, Dahlin/Svechnikov, 1st and 2nd

... would be very nice for Arizona.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Yet we (nation) seem to expect the moon in return for JVR? Ironic.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yet we (nation) seem to expect the moon in return for JVR? Ironic.

Who are you talking about? JvR isn't going to return more than a late first round pick or a decent prospect and a 2nd. I don't see anyone asking for the moon for JvR. Most fans don't even want to trade JvR.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I provided stats, you did not. Someone was definitely arguing with a brick wall of ignorance in that exchange.

Well, I already provided stats on there and you people ignored them. Don't expect me to continue a disingenuous argument like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad