Proposal: Ekman-Larsson to Toronto

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Arizona fans will say no. Want players that can play now. Their team is a dumpster fire right now. But the value is reasonable. Effectively 3 1st and a second.

As Toronto id probably do it. But that's alot of youth and potential going to arizona for 1.5 years of oel. Then if you re-sign him you have to thibk about the cap.

Anyways I don't know lol. Glad I'm not a gm

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Tbh it's not the worst package in the world, but I guarantee they would either find better or would ask for Marner/Nylander - which is obviously a no go for us.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Keep in mind, PRIME Pronger was traded twice - each time for a package similar to this. OEL is awesome, but not a prime Pronger, who took every team he played on to the Cup before being traded.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Keep in mind, PRIME Pronger was traded twice - each time for a package similar to this. OEL is awesome, but not a prime Pronger, who took every team he played on to the Cup before being traded.

Neither situation in which Pronger was traded are really applicable though. IIRC he was traded out of St. Louis for purely financial reasons and out of Edmonton for purely personal reasons.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
While OEL is great I can't really see any team in the position to offer something better than Marner, let alone +++. Your offer only has to better than everyone else's, not some Marner + Gardiner + 1st crap

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Neither situation in which Pronger was traded are really applicable though. IIRC he was traded out of St. Louis for purely financial reasons and out of Edmonton for purely personal reasons.
Was referring to Edmonton and Anaheim. He won a Cup with Anaheim and he was traded to get younger / slight rebuild.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
no from toronto. the leafs need cost controlled players from this point forward with the big 3 getting about 24-27 mil in 2 seasons from now. also oel is a fa at that time so we might not be able to afford him at that time and he could walk for nothing

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Pretty fair value IMO. Good job. I really like Liljegren and think he would have to be a part of any deal with Toronto. I dont think Arizona can trade OEL for only prospects though. They HAVE to get an impact player in return. Too much risk otherwise (maybe Kapanen can step in right away?).

And what does TML do with 3 top 4 LHD (OEL, Reilly, and Gardiner)?

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
My thoughts are if I were Chayka I'd tell you to start with Marner or Nylander, add significantly from there, or take a hike.

Likely not the case. Ekman Larsson has been awful this year and hasn’t been all that good the past 2 respectively.

However, yes it would likely start with Marner as the main piece coming back the other way. Not too mention Oliver only has one year left after this year.

Keep liljegren and hope he pans out. Leafs are dominant right now, keep doing whatever your doing until it doesn’t work anymore

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
And for Yotes fans (or other fans) dismissing this offer immediately. I think you need to consider:

1. The Yotes have been brutal w/ OEL leading the D
2. OEL will likely look to play elsewhere when his contract is up
3. The Yotes are rebuilding

A future core of...

Keller
Domi
Strome
Dvorak
Perlini
Kapanen
Fischer
Duclair
Chychrun
Liljegren
Top 1-5 pick in 2018
Another 1st rounder in 2018

... is a pretty sick (and inexpensive) young core

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Don't want to overpay for someone who's two seasons away from UFA status.

Prospect depth is important for the leafs if they want to stay competitive when everyone gets paid.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The Yotes aim higher than a package with Kapanen/Liljegren/1st as the centerpiece in the trade and I think get it. OEL is worth giving up something you don't really want to give up to get, even considering his contractual situation.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Don't want to overpay for someone who's two seasons away from UFA status.

Prospect depth is important for the leafs if they want to stay competitive when everyone gets paid.

I understand that. But the Leafs are CLOSE. This gives them a 2 year window to REALLY contend for a Cup. OEL on the Leafs would be the perfect fit and, perhaps, the missing piece for a serious Cup run this year and next.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
TO TOR:
- Oliver Ekman-Larsson, D

TO ARI:
- Kasperi Kapanen, F
- Timothy Liljegren, D
- 2018 1st Round Pick
- 2019 2nd Round Pick

Thoughts?
Replace Liljegren with Dermott and that's a sound deal for both sides.
Dermott gives them a player who can step in and play now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Gotta start, but not end, with Marner, and the Leafs should really consider it. They'd be hard to stop with a #1D, whereas the extra offense from Marner is just going to be icing on the cake down the road.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I understand that. But the Leafs are CLOSE. This gives them a 2 year window to REALLY contend for a Cup. OEL on the Leafs would be the perfect fit and, perhaps, the missing piece for a serious Cup run this year and next.

I don't believe in two year windows. Caps went all in over the last 2 seasons and look what position they are in. Obviously Toronto is in a slightly different situation but selling the farm for one player, even if it's a core piece, will but them in a very tough spot in a couple of years.

I want management to be as patient as possible and buy low rather than overpay.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Gotta start, but not end, with Marner, and the Leafs should really consider it. They'd be hard to stop with a #1D, whereas the extra offense from Marner is just going to be icing on the cake down the road.

You're underestimating Marner. He has franchise player potential. The fact that we have other good young forwards doesn't make him expendable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad