Proposal: Ekman-Larsson to Toronto

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Gotta start, but not end, with Marner, and the Leafs should really consider it. They'd be hard to stop with a #1D, whereas the extra offense from Marner is just going to be icing on the cake down the road.

And I can assure you that that would be an end, not a start.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Was referring to Edmonton and Anaheim. He won a Cup with Anaheim and he was traded to get younger / slight rebuild.

Anaheim traded him because he wanted a retirement contract, and they weren’t prepared to offer him one.

I’m not really sure that situation really applies here.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
My thoughts are if I were Chayka I'd tell you to start with Marner or Nylander, add significantly from there, or take a hike.

OEL is the one who will be taking a hike. In two years when he's a UFA. There is no way the Coyotes are going to get a star on the ELC for a 26 year old impending UFA.

Although I remember one year ago when the HFBoards consensus was the Coyotes wouldn't trade him for Matthews straight up. Ha. So I guess we have some progress. Look forward to seeing what the proposals a year from now will look like.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
My thoughts are if I were Chayka I'd tell you to start with Marner or Nylander, add significantly from there, or take a hike.

Leafs will definitely take a hike then just like OEL will do next year from the Coyotes. We're not going to get ripped off like the Oilers.

OEL with less than two years on his contract is not worth Marner or Nylander AND more. Not even close.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Leafs will definitely take a hike then just like OEL will do next year from the Coyotes. We're not going to get ripped off like the Oilers.

OEL with less than two years on his contract is not worth Marner or Nylander AND more. Not even close.

I think OEL re-signs in Arizona.

You are right though. Leafs management will not get taken advantage of like Chiarelli constantly is.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Tbh it's not the worst package in the world, but I guarantee they would either find better or would ask for Marner/Nylander - which is obviously a no go for us.

What team is going to give up the equivalent of a 20 year old that was PPG in the AHL, a young 18 year old D that is off to a fantastic start in the AHL, 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick for 1.5 years of OEL?

I don't think OEL will fetch this much. The longer Arizona waits the lower the return for OEL. I think he's a good player but he's as good as gone unless they plan on overpaying him through the roof to keep him because he won't stay otherwise.

I'd love to know what other teams would offer for OEL knowing that he may or may not re-sign with the team that trades for him.

I think OEL re-signs in Arizona.

You are right though. Leafs management will not get taken advantage of like Chiarelli constantly is.

Only way OEL signs in Arizona is if they give him something ridiculous like 10M a year. It doesn't make sense for Arizona or OEL to sign an 8 year deal. They are rebuilding and are a money conscious team.

I am not saying OEL wants to come to the Leafs. I think OEL is done in Arizona. What is keeping him there? Most of his old teammates are either retired or traded, the coach is new and likely gone by the end of the season, the management is new and the team is young and sucks right now.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
OEL is the one who will be taking a hike. In two years when he's a UFA. There is no way the Coyotes are going to get a star on the ELC for a 26 year old impending UFA.

Although I remember one year ago when the HFBoards consensus was the Coyotes wouldn't trade him for Matthews straight up. Ha. So I guess we have some progress. Look forward to seeing what the proposals a year from now will look like.

I never imagined Matthews would have this kind of start to his NHL career. He's blown my expectations way out of the water. I also never thought OEL would have such a rough season as he had last year with his broken hand and the death of his mother. I preferred OEL 14 months ago. Now I'd trade two OELs for one Matthews. Haha. Life comes at you quick. :)

Reactions: Heldig

rt

May 13, 2004
What team is going to give up the equivalent of a 20 year old that was PPG in the AHL, a young 18 year old D that is off to a fantastic start in the AHL, 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick for 1.5 years of OEL?

I don't think OEL will fetch this much. The longer Arizona waits the lower the return for OEL. I think he's a good player but he's as good as gone unless they plan on overpaying him through the roof to keep him because he won't stay otherwise.

I'd love to know what other teams would offer for OEL knowing that he may or may not re-sign with the team that trades for him.
Why trade him at all? Why not just keep him? John Chayka was asked about this recently by ESPN and he said that OEL is the only star player we've had since he's been here and we need more of them not less of them. Why trade our only star? Why not keep him and hope Keller turns into one too? And maybe one of our other youngsters or our first pick this year?

Reactions: RIPFORUMRDS

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Tbh it's not the worst package in the world, but I guarantee they would either find better or would ask for Marner/Nylander - which is obviously a no go for us.
I can see asking for marner/Nylander but you won't find to many packages better then that.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Why trade him at all? Why not just keep him? John Chayka was asked about this recently by ESPN and he said that OEL is the only star player we've had since he's been here and we need more of them not less of them. Why trade our only star? Why not keep him and hope Keller turns into one too? And maybe one of our other youngsters or our first pick this year?

It's not as simple though. Players like to win. OEL knows he's getting paid regardless of where he goes. Why stick it out in Arizona when you can join a team that is a contender or closer to being one than the Coyotes?

Are the Coyotes willing to overpay OEL to keep him because he holds all the cards? I'd be surprised if OEL took a discount on his biggest contract to stay in Arizona.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017

Oh god I remember that. Lots of totes fans saying we would need to add to Mathews to get oel. The whole proven vs unproven debate. The fact is that no gm is going to help Arizona out with a great offer. With Arizona being winless they aren't in a position of strength when it comes to negotiating any trades. Dermott + bracco + a first and fehr. Don't like it? Don't care. You're not getting one of the big 3. Could have had marner at draft day and you picked strome. Not getting him in a trade now and definitely not nylander.

rt

May 13, 2004
It's not as simple though. Players like to win. OEL knows he's getting paid regardless of where he goes. Why stick it out in Arizona when you can join a team that is a contender or closer to being one than the Coyotes?

Are the Coyotes willing to overpay OEL to keep him because he holds all the cards? I'd be surprised if OEL took a discount on his biggest contract to stay in Arizona.
Happens every season. :dunno:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Keep in mind, PRIME Pronger was traded twice - each time for a package similar to this. OEL is awesome, but not a prime Pronger, who took every team he played on to the Cup before being traded.

Pronger trades happened many years ago (2006, 2007, 2009), hence they are not a good example(s). CBA rules have changes since then & front loaded/back diving contracts are no longer allowed under the current CBA.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Replace Liljegren with Dermott and that's a sound deal for both sides.
Dermott gives them a player who can step in and play now.

They're both untouchable.

Liljegren is playing top pair minutes in the AHL as an 18 year old and Sheldon Keefe thinks Dermott is the best defenceman in the AHL.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Unless Lou would want OEL as a rental, Good luck affording him long term. Nylander and Marner will command around $7 million per long term and Matthews $11 million OEL probably close to $7 million per or $7.5 million per good luck.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Unless Lou would want OEL as a rental, Good luck affording him long term. Nylander and Marner will command around $7 million per long term and Matthews $11 million OEL probably close to $7 million per or $7.5 million per good luck.
Probably 7 makes sense yes.

At the end of the day, he's not the type of defensemen we need or would target. We need a more complete or defensive minded player like Hjarlmarrson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad