Rumor: Eklund: Couturier to Flames

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I like Weisbros too. I meant more along the lines of someone who's keeping up with hockey, not arena stuff, finances, and business, like King does as well. Someone focused entirely on hockey ops.

I like hockey guys, just as much as the (hyperbole) "countless" examples who's done well. Personally I think an organization should have a good mix.

I am more than fine with the way things are as I think at some point you get to the point of "to many cooks in the kitchen". I would prefer to just remove King and bring give Feaster a "promotion" to Hockey Ops as I think he is more suited for that and let Weisbrod take over as GM. But short of that I am fine with the way things are now.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
No idea what to even offer here.
First rounder is too much, it is worth too much in a rebuild. Giordano won't be traded, he's going to be our defencive anchor for the next few years.

JG I assume will be the starting point... Mez will be the dump on their end... But I personally can't see a deal that will work. Just another ' please I need hits' case for Eklund.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I am more than fine with the way things are as I think at some point you get to the point of "to many cooks in the kitchen". I would prefer to just remove King and bring give Feaster a "promotion" to Hockey Ops as I think he is more suited for that and let Weisbrod take over as GM. But short of that I am fine with the way things are now.

Very interesting. Personally, I look at a front office from an organization that's made the playoffs for as long as I can remember and I think, man, I'll have what they're having.

Feaster doesn't deserve a promotion. Besides a Stanley Cup he inherited, what about his record in hockey management deserves credit where he needs ultimate control of a decisions surrounding the team you and I love? I shutter to think about it when I think about his more recent incompetence

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

This is the ideal scenario I think.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Very interesting. Personally, I look at a front office from an organization that's made the playoffs for as long as I can remember and I think, man, I'll have what they're having.

Feaster doesn't deserve a promotion. Besides a Stanley Cup he inherited, what about his record in hockey management deserves credit where he needs ultimate control of a decisions surrounding the team you and I love? I shutter to think about it when I think about his more recent incompetence

I would love it if Burke just absorbed both King's and Feaster's job and Weisbrod stayed put.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I like Weisbros too. I meant more along the lines of someone who's keeping up with hockey, not arena stuff, finances, and business, like King does as well. Someone focused entirely on hockey ops.

I like hockey guys, just as much as the (hyperbole) "countless" examples who's done well. Personally I think an organization should have a good mix.
You mean like Shanahan?

TylerSVT*

Unless it's for a significant young asset i don't think you should be worrying. I trust that this team wants to do a proper rebuild. Feaster's comments after the draft calmed me down on a lot of worries i had.

Like when he said if the Flames wanted a rebuild they should get another GM. Or like when he promised their would be moves at the 2012 trade deadline etc. etc. etc.

My point is, Feaster talks a lot.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
I'm under the impression that Weisbrod is already very much involved in the trades and signings and all that stuff. So replacing Feaster with Weisbrod probably wouldn't change a whole lot. Except we would get much duller media scrums, Weisbrod is a truly boring guy to listen to. Since Feaster knows how to talk and Weisbrod knows how to build a team I'm fine with the current setup.

Besides, none of us really knows how the front office tasks are distributed anyway. Maybe Weisbrod is the guy behind the RoR offersheet and Feaster is the one taking the heat.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I'm under the impression that Weisbrod is already very much involved in the trades and signings and all that stuff. So replacing Feaster with Weisbrod probably wouldn't change a whole lot. Except we would get much duller media scrums, Weisbrod is a truly boring guy to listen to. Since Feaster knows how to talk and Weisbrod knows how to build a team I'm fine with the current setup.

Besides, none of us really knows how the front office tasks are distributed anyway. Maybe Weisbrod is the guy behind the RoR offersheet and Feaster is the one taking the heat.

I think a lot of fans really misunderstand what the General Managers postion really is. He's in control of the team and is responsible for all the decision that happen under him, but at the end of the day he's more aptly described as a delegator and front man.

The GM has a responsibility of pulling it all together, but he doesn't control anything really. He delegates drafting to the director of scouting (and amateur and pro leads), using their advice to draft (and often just deferring to them completely). He lets his Assistant's make deals (like Nonis in TO when Burke was GM), he lets his coach do the on-ice coaching. But he's the front man, the face of teh decisions.

I suspect that more often than not, the GM is not nearly involved in some of the decisions as many fans think. Ultimately he has the final say, but those decisions are made on the backs of people who know a specific thing a lot better than he does.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I think a lot of fans really misunderstand what the General Managers postion really is. He's in control of the team and is responsible for all the decision that happen under him, but at the end of the day he's more aptly described as a delegator and front man.

The GM has a responsibility of pulling it all together, but he doesn't control anything really. He delegates drafting to the director of scouting (and amateur and pro leads), using their advice to draft (and often just deferring to them completely). He lets his Assistant's make deals (like Nonis in TO when Burke was GM), he lets his coach do the on-ice coaching. But he's the front man, the face of teh decisions.

I suspect that more often than not, the GM is not nearly involved in some of the decisions as many fans think. Ultimately he has the final say, but those decisions are made on the backs of people who know a specific thing a lot better than he does.
You'll notice when he discusses decision, trades, signings, or drafting, he will use the term we every time and rarely if ever will he say I.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad