Rumor: Eklund: Couturier to Flames

Savoie92

Jul 5, 2012
Regina
There is a thread at Calgarypuck Couturier to Flames for 1st + prospect that thefanblogger retweeted or something. Do you guys see this happening? It would put my faith back into Feaster if he could pull it off.

I love Couturier and id love him on the Flames but for Calgary 1st rounders for the next 3-5 years should be off limits even if it means bringing in a player like Couturier who once again i would love in Calgary

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Couts should of been top 3 or 4 in his draft. If he breaks out next year his value will sky rocket more so than our 1st. However I still feel Monahan will be just as good if not better, and they are very similar. If we could get him without giving up our 1st, Monahan or Sven, I would consider it.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Couts should of been top 3 or 4 in his draft. If he breaks out next year his value will sky rocket more so than our 1st. However I still feel Monahan will be just as good if not better, and they are very similar. If we could get him without giving up our 1st, Monahan or Sven, I would consider it.

I think they're very similar players. Monahan doesn't skate as well though. I'd probably take Couturier ahead of him as a player, but you get more entry level years with Monahan so I'm not sure I'd do the deal.

Wabbit

Jun 22, 2013
I think they're very similar players. Monahan doesn't skate as well though. I'd probably take Couturier ahead of him as a player, but you get more entry level years with Monahan so I'm not sure I'd do the deal.

While i do think Jay should be cautious about giving up too much in any potential trade for Couts, i believe people are seriously undervaluing him. Remember 2 years ago when he shut down Malkin in the playoffs as an 18 year old? He's already as reliable as they come in a defensive role, and he hasn't even begun to show what he can do at the other end of the rink-which will be hard to do on a team like the Flyers. Add to that the fact that he's 6'4" and skates well, and has a good understanding of how to play center in this league. Its rare to come upon players like that, especially through the trade route. Just my opinion.....

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
While i do think Jay should be cautious about giving up too much in any potential trade for Couts, i believe people are seriously undervaluing him. Remember 2 years ago when he shut down Malkin in the playoffs as an 18 year old? He's already as reliable as they come in a defensive role, and he hasn't even begun to show what he can do at the other end of the rink-which will be hard to do on a team like the Flyers. Add to that the fact that he's 6'4" and skates well, and has a good understanding of how to play center in this league. Its rare to come upon players like that, especially through the trade route. Just my opinion.....

I agree with all of your points. I just think I'd take Monahan at 1.4 for three years over 1 year of Couts at a cheap hit. He'll get 4-5 million as an RFA.

Savoie92

Jul 5, 2012
Regina

I agree Couts should have been drafted higher and if he breaks out it will skyrocket but say we trade for him and we finish dead last or we win the lottery we are potentially giving away a player who changes the franchise its hard to say because i do love Couturier and i do believe he will become an amazing player even franchise material but i have mix feeling about trading away what will most likely be a top 5 pick.

if we did trade a package that included a first for Couturier i wont be mad since we are getting an amazing player with loads of potential back who should have been a top 5 pick in his draft year. and draft picks are not a guaranty the player will pan out. ( sorry for babbling off i think i may have convinced myself that trading our 1st for couts isn't a bad thing)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Monahan's skating will improve. Couturier has better size, besides that they are very similar with almost identical skill sets.

Wabbit

Jun 22, 2013
Monahan's skating will improve. Couturier has better size, besides that they are very similar with almost identical skill sets.

I would be extremely happy if Monahan is as good as Couts as quickly.(and that is in no way downgrading your post.)

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

The ISS scout for the OHL said that he feels Monahan is a better version of what Couts was at the same age.

Turboed

Jul 6, 2012
Red Deer, Alberta
Giving away the first should be completely off limits. Lets assume we do get a top 3 pick since i fully expect to finish there.

Does sam reinhart or sean couturier fill calgary's needs more?

Savoie92

Jul 5, 2012
Regina
Why are Eklund posts even allowed?

whats even worst is its not from Eklund its from one of his bloggers who heard it from someone else so its kinda something like i know a guy who knows a guy who heard this guy say this

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
MVW;68912639[B said:
]Couts should of been top 3 or 4 in his draft. If he breaks out next year his value will sky rocket more so than our 1st. [/B]However I still feel Monahan will be just as good if not better, and they are very similar. If we could get him without giving up our 1st, Monahan or Sven, I would consider it.

He's never going to break out on Philly. This is a similar situation to what Seguin had in Boston.

Seguin didn't play a style suited to the Boston game. He's a high offensive forward, and the Bruins we're always going to stifle his offensive upside. His offensive style was also just better suited to the center spot than the wing. But you're not going to play him over Krejci/Bergeron. In the end, Seguin was being limited on teh Bruins. That doesn't mean the Bruins are a bad team, just not the right one for Seguin (that deal is a great deal for both teams IMO. Dallas and the Stars got a huge deal).

In much the same way, Couturier is going to be limited in Philly. He's behind Giroux and Vinny right now, and competing with Schenn for that 3rd line spot. Even if he wins, he's not going to put up huge numbers, and his value isn't going to skyrocket. He'd have to outplay Vinny to really get his break and skyrocket his value.

By the end of the 2013/2014 season, I expect one of Schenn or Couturier will be dealt. More than likely I expect one will be dealt by the end of the summer, and it will be for a dman. I suspect it will be Couturier. Luke Schenn played very well for them last year and he's likely considered a long term piece. It's likely they mean to keep Brayden because of that.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Wasn't Couts the one who Holmgren wouldn't trade to the Preds for Weber? I highly doubt he gets traded.

LukeD

On Fire
Apr 1, 2012
Nova Scotia
whats even worst is its not from Eklund its from one of his bloggers who heard it from someone else so its kinda something like i know a guy who knows a guy who heard this guy say this

My friend's brother follows someone named Eklund on twitter.com who said one of his bloggers heard from a guy who knows a person who said they heard from a cab driver in Philly that Couturier is being dealt to the Flames. (e5)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
No, Couturier's situation isn't exactly like Seguin's. Couts will probably be their 2C next season, top 6 minutes is not being barried. The talk is to move Vinny to RW and try him out on G's wing. Schenn has also basically been converted to LW now and Laughton will likely be their 3C. So Couturier would be getting quality minutes with very good offensive players as in Voracek and Schenn.

However, Philly's biggest weakness is still on D at least for next season. Couturier may still be moved to address this if the right deal comes up because Vinny can play center.

Last edited:

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Why are Eklund posts even allowed?

I've thought about this too and have come to the conclusion that Eklund is most likely an HFBoards sponsor.

Couturier is a good player but the Flames just can't afford to trade for him. If the Flyers really are desperate to shed salary, I'd rather see the Flames try to get Meszaros or Coburn for peanuts.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
He's never going to break out on Philly. This is a similar situation to what Seguin had in Boston.

Seguin didn't play a style suited to the Boston game. He's a high offensive forward, and the Bruins we're always going to stifle his offensive upside. His offensive style was also just better suited to the center spot than the wing. But you're not going to play him over Krejci/Bergeron. In the end, Seguin was being limited on teh Bruins. That doesn't mean the Bruins are a bad team, just not the right one for Seguin (that deal is a great deal for both teams IMO. Dallas and the Stars got a huge deal).

In much the same way, Couturier is going to be limited in Philly. He's behind Giroux and Vinny right now, and competing with Schenn for that 3rd line spot. Even if he wins, he's not going to put up huge numbers, and his value isn't going to skyrocket. He'd have to outplay Vinny to really get his break and skyrocket his value.

By the end of the 2013/2014 season, I expect one of Schenn or Couturier will be dealt. More than likely I expect one will be dealt by the end of the summer, and it will be for a dman. I suspect it will be Couturier. Luke Schenn played very well for them last year and he's likely considered a long term piece. It's likely they mean to keep Brayden because of that.
But another poor season from Courturier will severely hurt his trade value. If they plan on having him in the bottom six, they should trade him now while his value is high.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
No, Couturier's situation isn't exactly like Seguin's. Couts will probably be their 2C next season, top 6 minutes is not being barried. The talk is to move Vinny to RW and try him out on G's wing. Schenn has also basically been converted to LW now and Laughton will likely be their 3C. So Couturier would be getting quality minutes with very good offensive players as in Voracek and Schenn.

However, Philly's biggest weakness is still on D at least for next season. Couturier may still be moved to address this if the right deal comes up because Vinny can play center.
Is this what you're suggesting:

Hatnell - Giroux - Lecav
Schenn - Court - Voracek
Read - Laughton - Simmonds?

That doesn't make a lot of sense. It would put Vinny on wing for the first time, and on his off-wing at that.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Is this what you're suggesting:

Hatnell - Giroux - Lecav
Schenn - Court - Voracek
Read - Laughton - Simmonds?

That doesn't make a lot of sense. It would put Vinny on wing for the first time, and on his off-wing at that.

Yes. Vinny has actually said he's open to playing wing for them and was somewhat giddy at the thought of playing next to Giroux, who is also a French hockey player. He said he feels more comfortable playing RW over left. Holmgren said the plan as of now is to try him at wing, but ultimately that decision will be up to Lavy and so will who he plays with. Playing with Giroux was a strong consideration for him to sign there.

And that lineup looks amazing to me.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yes. Vinny has actually said he's open to playing wing for them and was somewhat giddy at the thought of playing next to Giroux, who is also a French hockey player. He said he feels more comfortable playing RW over left. Holmgren said the plan as of now is to try him at wing, but ultimately that decision will be up to Lavy and so will who he plays with. Playing with Giroux was a strong consideration for him to sign there.

And that lineup looks amazing to me.

I also saw that interview with Vinny. It does certainly seem like he is expecting to play right wing this year. Now, if Bylsma was coaching the team, he'd experiment with making him play left defence, and if it didn't work out, keep him there.

TylerSVT*

If Feaster trades a first for any player not Crosby, Malkin etc. than he deserves to be fired. Those 1sts are likely to become one of Reinhart,Nylander,Ekblad and McDavid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad