Great Britain: EIHL discussion thread

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I attended the Belfast Giants/Nottingham Panthers game on Saturday while visiting N.Ireland and I have to say, it blew away my expectations. First off, my girlfriend and I couldn't buy two seats beside each other due to demand (looked like a sellout with almost no empty seats) although they did mention that it was the largest crowd they've had in 12 years. Gameplay was obviously not NHL quality, but for a game where Kevin Westgarth is the only recognizable name, there were spots of pretty good play. Reffing was pretty lax as well from a NA standpoint, lots of hooks and slashes gone uncalled, but they generally kept order and let the game flow. The best part however, was the energy in the arena ... fans seemed very knowledgeable and Nottingham had a really vocal group of traveling supporters. Good time all around.

Wow that's so cool to hear they can get that kind of a crowd. Wish they had supporters section for NHL games.

Where is hockey popular in the UK? Is it growing in other parts of the country too? How organized is youth hockey and development of them?

SubyDubyTML

May 13, 2013
Hey guys,
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but i'll give it a shot.
I'm moving to England in the coming months, are there any garage leagues for ice hockey or even ball hockey? I'll need to find a way to get my hockey fix while down there :laugh:

frank16

May 17, 2010
Wow that's so cool to hear they can get that kind of a crowd. Wish they had supporters section for NHL games.

Where is hockey popular in the UK? Is it growing in other parts of the country too? How organized is youth hockey and development of them?

Hockey in the UK from a development point of view and participation basis is pretty poor but as a spectator sport it is pretty popular where there are teams and its the most attended indoor sport in the UK.

The Belfast Giants are the 2nd best supported sports club in the whole of Northern Ireland. In Scotland there are 4 professional teams attracting around 7-8,000 a week combined with the most popular team being Glasgow who sell out their 4,000 arena pretty much every game. Apparently they are moving to a new 8,000 arena soon.

In England their are big teams in Nottingham and Sheffield (both get 5,000 - 6,000 a game). Nottingham are in the top 50 attended clubs in Europe. In Wales there is the Cardiff Devils who sell out their small 2,300 capacity temporary arena. They are moving to a new 3,500 capacity permanent arena next season.

SubyDubyTML

May 13, 2013
Where exactly are you moving to?

That hasn't exactly been decided yet. I'm going to be doing agency work and as of right now there's plenty of opportunities all over England, with a lot of openings in Central London so that's a a possibility. However, for discussion purposes we'll say London is where i'm potentially targeting.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
That hasn't exactly been decided yet. I'm going to be doing agency work and as of right now there's plenty of opportunities all over England, with a lot of openings in Central London so that's a a possibility. However, for discussion purposes we'll say London is where i'm potentially targeting.

Ok again it's going to depend where. There are 3 rinks with hockey in London: Lee Valley, Alexandra Palace, and Streatham

Each rink will have rec ice hockey teams you can join

You can find information about rec hockey in England here http://www.eiharec.co.uk/

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Hockey in the UK from a development point of view and participation basis is pretty poor but as a spectator sport it is pretty popular where there are teams and its the most attended indoor sport in the UK.

The Belfast Giants are the 2nd best supported sports club in the whole of Northern Ireland. In Scotland there are 4 professional teams attracting around 7-8,000 a week combined with the most popular team being Glasgow who sell out their 4,000 arena pretty much every game. Apparently they are moving to a new 8,000 arena soon.

In England their are big teams in Nottingham and Sheffield (both get 5,000 - 6,000 a game). Nottingham are in the top 50 attended clubs in Europe. In Wales there is the Cardiff Devils who sell out their small 2,300 capacity temporary arena. They are moving to a new 3,500 capacity permanent arena next season.

If development is poor, they should enlist the help of bigger hockey nations to help build a system to at least start off. Do these big teams have youth academies?

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
on a more positive note, there are rumours of the Echo Arena in liverpool getting an ice plant and playing host to a hockey team. And obviously Cardiff upgrading from the Tent will be good.

So hopefully more teams will be able to compete soon, and a London team surely can't be too far away

Would this ice plant in Echo Arena lead to the possibility of a EIHL team playing in Liverpool?

DerbyCoyote

Oct 19, 2007
Will be interesting to see if they can make Elite League hockey work in Altrincham this time (unlike the Phoenix). Can't say I'm convinced.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
12 Team EIHL for 2017/18

Milton Keynes Lightning is already confirmed and now Guildford Flames have requested to join the league for the coming season. Obviously the league will want to keep the conferences even so it seems a certain (amongst fans also) that they are in.

Guildford have been a big fish in the EPL for a while. Good owners who have a good business model in place and have good support.. but can this be carried over into the EIHL? Ticket prices will surely rise as now they need to fund 15 instead of 4 or 5 import players, and ones of better quality.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Manchester Storm have announced they are now under new ownership (http://manchesterstorm.com/new-ownership-at-the-manchester-storm/) They were owned by the rink its self but they've decided to sell the team. I don't see this as a very positive step. The rink is rubbish and small so once the new owner realises he may not make much, if any, money surely he will soon leave?

Sheffield Steelers sign ex NHLer Tim Wallace (http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/ice-...hes-into-sheffield-steelers-line-up-1-8559873)

Last edited:

AnAceOfKidneys

May 2, 2014
Manchester Storm have announced they are now under new ownership (http://manchesterstorm.com/new-ownership-at-the-manchester-storm/) They were owned by the rink its self but they've decided to sell the team. I don't see this as a very positive step. The rink is rubbish and small so once the new owner realises he may not make much, if any, money surely he will soon leave?

Sheffield Steelers sign ex NHLer Tim Wallace (http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/ice-...hes-into-sheffield-steelers-line-up-1-8559873)

are you talking about this place?

finland_1.jpg

better than Basingstoke and Bracknell....

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad