Other Sports: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Super Bowl LVIII (Barf!) and Beyond!

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I will say, I did see a theory that is, if not reasonable, at least marginally defensible on the Penix front: The Falcons may be aware that they're going to lose picks next year (and if it's bad enough, maybe more than just that?) for tampering with Cousins, so they'd have to wait at least 2 years and hope they're in a position to draft a guy they like enough to be the QB of the future after Cousins.

Oh more teams should draft their QBs early if they love them. Cousins is about to be 36 and coming off of an ACL tear. They didn't spend extra picks to do it, so that's a big help. Penix's age is not a small issue and that's not the QB that would make me do it. But taking a QB I get.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Oh more teams should draft their QBs early if they love them. Cousins is about to be 36 and coming off of an ACL tear. They didn't spend extra picks to do it, so that's a big help. Penix's age is not a small issue and that's not the QB that would make me do it. But taking a QB I get.
Worse than that. Achilles.

Similar to you, i'm all about getting the QB that you want because mostly everything else doesn't matter without one but Penix (and others) definitely weren't the ones that I'd be doing it for. Oh well, more value for the rest of the teams not stuck in QB purgatory.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I still can't believe Atlanta took a QB who will turn 25 during the season after dishing out a 9 figure contract to another QB.

Board is still pretty good. But if he gets Kingsley and Taylor Demerson then I'll be a fat panda filled with dumplings in mah belly.
DJ has Kingsley at 121 lol.

Grade for the Mitchell pick from CBS Sports was a B+, was the writer a Cowboys fan. I understand if you prefer one over the other, but when top-15 player lands at #22 not sure what warrants B+.
Graft grades are dumb, especially if you just give A's to all the big names that fall. Grade the process more than anything. They were patient and the corner who they felt was the best one fell into their laps. It's a fine one by me.

If you play devil's advocate, we're talking about a 23 year old senior who played in the MAC his whole career. He's a freak athlete at a position that requires it and he did well against the top competition he did face for a week, but it's still a bit of an unusual profile. It was an odd draft, but I think the fact the rest of the league let CB1 (whoever you thought it was) slide to 22, may say something about the class. And Dejean is still on the board.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Graft grades are dumb, especially if you just give A's to all the big names that fall. Grade the process more than anything. They were patient and the corner who they felt was the best one fell into their laps. It's a fine one by me.

The worst thing in sports media. Even worse than the fanfiction that is mock drafts.

If you want a grade, take a 10 second look at value versus consensus board when everything's done and never think about it again. It didn't mean anything either, but at least you're taking a better look than what a random guy working for a random site thinks.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I still can't believe Atlanta took a QB who will turn 25 during the season after dishing out a 9 figure contract to another QB.

If you play devil's advocate, we're talking about a 23 year old senior who played in the MAC his whole career. He's a freak athlete at a position that requires it and he did well against the top competition he did face for a week, but it's still a bit of an unusual profile. It was an odd draft, but I think the fact the rest of the league let CB1 (whoever you thought it was) slide to 22, may say something about the class. And Dejean is still on the board.
Saban saying he was actively trying to poach him is reassuring at least. It is odd that he and Dejean fell so much...maybe teams were getting swept up in not letting offense pass them by

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The worst thing in sports media. Even worse than the fanfiction that is mock drafts.

If you want a grade, take a 10 second look at value versus consensus board when everything's done and never think about it again. It didn't mean anything either, but at least you're taking a better look than what a random guy working for a random site thinks.

People can grade a draft when all the players taken are done.

Until then, it's not a grade, it's a guess.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Howie will grab someone over the summer that no on expects like he always does. I'd love them to take Cooper if he's there with their next pick. There's some decent guys they can get in the mid rounds too like Eichenberg and Trotter (gotta imagine they did their research on him).
Picking up UFA scraps is not a good thing IMO. Kyzir white was good. Cunningham was mid.

Devin White is bad. In "today's game" if you can't cover, you might as well change your name to "liability". I'd like to not see 49ers game flashbacks mid range passing eating us alive.

Eich, colson, trotter are fantastic 2000s lbs. If we pick them, it's just throwing picks in the trash.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I will say, I did see a theory that is, if not reasonable, at least marginally defensible on the Penix front: The Falcons may be aware that they're going to lose picks next year (and if it's bad enough, maybe more than just that?) for tampering with Cousins, so they'd have to wait at least 2 years and hope they're in a position to draft a guy they like enough to be the QB of the future after Cousins.
I like Penix as a player, I don't see the hate. Everything you say is true. It's a great pick...at 48. Even ride some team trade down to 20ish. Get that 5th yr option on a QB. At 8...woof.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
People can grade a draft when all the players taken are done.

Until then, it's not a grade, it's a guess.

What does the grading scale by then? You've got to make a choice to either go by value relative to expected or purely on the players. Either is inherently flawed. The former makes the Bears something like a B+ or A- with potential to swing moderately based on what else happens. The latter is an A++ even if they refuse to make any more picks. I don't see either avenue as meaningfully informative.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Picking up UFA scraps is not a good thing IMO. Kyzir white was good. Cunningham was mid.

Devin White is bad. In "today's game" if you can't cover, you might as well change your name to "liability". I'd like to not see 49ers game flashbacks mid range passing eating us alive.

Eich, colson, trotter are fantastic 2000s lbs. If we pick them, it's just throwing picks in the trash.
Yeah I mean there's no guarantee on any of these guys (UFA or draft picks). I think Eichenberg is a good prospect for a mid-rounder. You have to remember not every signing is intended to be a superstar. Some guys are there for situational things or just to fill a spot when there isn't another guy there to fill it. I'd target Cooper with our next pick (although if Cooper, Dejean, and McKinstry are all there it would be a tough choice, but that seems unlikely). If there is not a suitable LB in the second taking a guy like Eichenberg or Trotter later on and grabbing someone over the summer is about as good a plan as there is for that position.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Eichenberg and Trotter don't have meaningful upside outcomes and are probably going today. It's not them versus other LBs. It's them versus who else is available from every position.

If you're going to do that, I'd rather take a later flyer on Curtis Jacobs from Penn St or Tyrice Knight from UTEP or Jordan Magee from Temple. Hell, I'd much rather take a different ND Linebacker at expected ranges (Marist Liufau).

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Eichenberg and Trotter don't have meaningful upside outcomes and are probably going today. It's not them versus other LBs. It's them versus who else is available from every position.

If you're going to do that, I'd rather take a later flyer on Curtis Jacobs from Penn St or Tyrice Knight from UTEP or Jordan Magee from Temple. Hell, I'd much rather take a different ND Linebacker at expected ranges (Marist Liufau).
Yeah I wouldn't be against those guys either. Really after the second round it's such a crapshoot. You can draft for upside all day or safe picks all day but you really are buying a lottery ticket regardless of who you are picking unless there is someone maybe with off-field issues or injury concerns that fell. Realistically speaking unless there is someone so obviously good available so obviously not good that you pick you can't really make a bad pick after day 2 and even in the 3rd round it's hard to argue about a bad pick. Most of these guys drafted in round 3 and later we won't know if it is good or bad until a year or two is in the books.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal

I personally feel the same about Colson too. He WILL go today, and I don't want it to be us.

Just get UDFAs who can run if you are not going to spend draft capital please.

WR is so deep, give me a PR guy in round 4/5. Don't waste it on flawed LBs.

Yeah I wouldn't be against those guys either. Really after the second round it's such a crapshoot. You can draft for upside all day or safe picks all day but you really are buying a lottery ticket regardless of who you are picking unless there is someone maybe with off-field issues or injury concerns that fell. Realistically speaking unless there is someone so obviously good available so obviously not good that you pick you can't really make a bad pick after day 2 and even in the 3rd round it's hard to argue about a bad pick. Most of these guys drafted in round 3 and later we won't know if it is good or bad until a year or two is in the books.
Yea I mean, you are not incorrect, but just draft guys with upside...please.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
What are thoughts on Roman Wilson? He seems pretty good from what I’ve seen but, like JJ McCarthy, he wasn’t showcased much

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
Saban saying he was actively trying to poach him is reassuring at least. It is odd that he and Dejean fell so much...maybe teams were getting swept up in not letting offense pass them by
This is why the draft is really anyone's guess, even teams don't know -- they have a lot of the same information that the media does. This team was looking at these positions and these players. After that it just depends on how the chips fall. If CBs are going fast teams who need one might trade up to get the one they want otherwise they might have to wait 2-3 rounds. This is why runs at positions are good if you are not looking that position it pushes players down.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe

Renner has him in the 140s IIRC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad