Great Britain: EIHL discussion thread

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Those are some pricy season tickets for a competition of the EIHL's calibre, especially for one of the less competitive teams in the league.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Those are some pricy season tickets for a competition of the EIHL's calibre, especially for one of the less competitive teams in the league.

It's abit of a shock! New company isn't taking any chances it seems. I wonder if we'll see a team to represent the prices.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
It's abit of a shock! New company isn't taking any chances it seems. I wonder if we'll see a team to represent the prices.

How has the price change been received by the fan base? Those are more expensive than Jokerit Helsinki season tickets.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
How has the price change been received by the fan base? Those are more expensive than Jokerit Helsinki season tickets.

As far as I can see on facebook/UK forum people don't seem to notice the outrageous cost! Many are happily saying they'll get their tickets... HOWEVER

Milton Keynes Lightning (team that move up from the previous league below) where meet with some backlast when announcing their increased ticket costs.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Hate that they do all these gimmicky cups while the playoffs are so short

Should scrap the cups and have longer playoffs.

100% agree and seeing the Fans Forum each year most other people seem to want a real playoffs. The same excuse is always given though isn't it - the arenas won't accommodate the schedule and the teams won't be able to afford if they don't go to game 7 say - But they can afford all these stupid Cups they maybe up!!

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
I'm not defending the idea (I'd prefer to see a playoff that actually matters), but the reason teams typically lose money/"can't afford" playoff games is because of the short notice nature and the usually negative impact that has on crowd size. With Cup games, you know when they'll be played and therefore fans can plan to go/you can advertise them to draw crowds. When you don't even know who you're going to be playing and when, it's hard to advertise for a game and then when you know, you're likely past many advertising deadlines.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I just translated an interview with Edinburgh Capitals Pavel Vorobyev on playing in UK, money, level of the competition, and much more.

http://thehockeywriters.com/former-blackhawks-pavel-vorobyev-on-playing-in-uk/

Have a good read!

Thanks Alessandro, thats great!

He seems brutally honest which is a refreshing thing to see in UK hockey! He's so true about teams only wanting Canadians, it frustrates me as we are basically a NA minor league these days.

He's abit biased about Edinburgs arena - it was built in like 1930 or something :laugh:

also Ben O'Connor was technically contracted to Astana but was never called up! http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=20906

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
I have talked with O'Connor when he used to play for Saryarka, he told me that he signed in Saryarka hoping that someone would notice him and sign in the KHL, therefore I am not sure he was actually contracted to them. I think that in his hey-days he could have been KHL level but he seems to have had enough with life abroad.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Really enjoyed that article. A look at the standings, Edinburgh was dead last, and Pavel described many of the problems. However, it seems like they are committed to improving with their Russian influence and Khristich as coach.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Really enjoyed that article. A look at the standings, Edinburgh was dead last, and Pavel described many of the problems. However, it seems like they are committed to improving with their Russian influence and Khristich as coach.

They have been like the China Dragon of the UK leagues for a while now

Kiev the Great

Aug 21, 2014

Biggest issue short-term is just money. EIHL teams don't earn lots through sponsorship or commercial income. It is bums on seats that pay the bills, and 840 people a game is not much money to put out a professional outfit.

Although even I was surprised that they don't have structured meals etc... Next thing you know they'll cancel the bus and hotel, then tell the players to drive in their car and don't forget to pack your tent.

Average attendances:
http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph_season.php?lid=EIHL2004&sid=2017

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Biggest issue short-term is just money. EIHL teams don't earn lots through sponsorship or commercial income.

Which is their own fault! Always mentioned but they have nobody to blame but themselvs. Teams don't seem to market to non hockey fans in this country. Sure the current 840 regular Edinburgh fans know there is a hockey team but the hundreds of hockey loving students, expats and the thousands of others who live in the city have no idea - because the team won't tell them!

Kiev the Great

Aug 21, 2014
Which is their own fault! Always mentioned but they have nobody to blame but themselvs. Teams don't seem to market to non hockey fans in this country. Sure the current 840 regular Edinburgh fans know there is a hockey team but the hundreds of hockey loving students, expats and the thousands of others who live in the city have no idea - because the team won't tell them!

I agree 100% about marketing throughout the league. The only thing I'd say in Caps defence is that their rink is a dump. I loved my trip there as an away fan and it's got some charm as a historic venue, but I'm converted. If I lived in Edinburgh and had £15 to spend on an evening activity I'd not spend it in the coldest building known to man watching the home team get spanked by all comers.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I agree 100% about marketing throughout the league. The only thing I'd say in Caps defence is that their rink is a dump. I loved my trip there as an away fan and it's got some charm as a historic venue, but I'm converted. If I lived in Edinburgh and had £15 to spend on an evening activity I'd not spend it in the coldest building known to man watching the home team get spanked by all comers.

I also agree their rink needs some serious renovations/a new one building if we are going to host a professional hockey team in it

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
It does boggle the mind that the highest attended indoor sports league in the UK gets almost zero media attention - either in reporting or advertising. What's the reason?

Not really, it's not exactly a remarkable feat to achieve. What other big spectator sports are played indoors? The only one is basketball, yes they've got some TV coverage as far as I'm aware but their attendances are only lower because the arenas they play in are smaller. The Guildford team play in the same building as the ice hockey team but they play in a glorified sports hall with some bleachers put in it, the ice rink is permanent and not converted.

The top league in the country is a Mickey Mouse operation loaded with unprofessionalism

Also this. The last time the EIHL had a regular feature on Sky Sports, the show was presented by a man who openly makes homophobic comments on the microphone when he's doing the arena announcing for his team, and makes comments that are sexist, racist and homophobic (and if I remember rightly you can throw in mental health shaming) on Twitter.

There's also the fact that some club officials and fans don't actually want the games on TV and will not embrace the use of streaming or webcasts because they feel it would affect their home gate because bums on seats are the most important thing. Because what sponsor wants their name and logo on TV right?

Last edited:

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Not really, it's not exactly a remarkable feat to achieve. What other big spectator sports are played indoors? The only one is basketball, yes they've got some TV coverage as far as I'm aware but their attendances are only lower because the arenas they play in are smaller. The Guildford team play in the same building as the ice hockey team but they play in a glorified sports hall with some bleachers put in it, the ice rink is permanent and not converted.

Also this. The last time the EIHL had a regular feature on Sky Sports, the show was presented by a man who openly makes homophobic comments on the microphone when he's doing the arena announcing for his team, and makes comments that are sexist, racist and homophobic (and if I remember rightly you can throw in mental health shaming) on Twitter.

There's also the fact that some club officials and fans don't actually want the games on TV and will not embrace the use of streaming or webcasts because they feel it would affect their home gate because bums on seats are the most important thing. Because what sponsor wants their name and logo on TV right?

I still find it ridiculous that the most successful man in UK ice hockey is apposed to live streaming their own games

Sureshot

Thumbs up, soldier!
Apr 7, 2009
Not really, it's not exactly a remarkable feat to achieve. What other big spectator sports are played indoors?

Tennis, badminton, squash, snooker, darts, athletics, boxing... all which achieve more recognition than hockey does in the UK media.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->