Great Britain: EIHL discussion thread

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
which new CAN/USA players are going to play for team GB on the next WC?
I saw Ben Lake and Tim Billingsley have played against Dinamo Riga

GBHockey

Jun 2, 2018
which new CAN/USA players are going to play for team GB on the next WC?
I saw Ben Lake and Tim Billingsley have played against Dinamo Riga
Just those two as far as I'm aware. Only potential other players could be Scott Conway who is currently in the NCAA but I believe he has no interest in GB, but as his education is coming to an end, perhaps he'd fancy playing on the big stage.

Reactions: HungryFrank

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Just those two as far as I'm aware. Only potential other players could be Scott Conway who is currently in the NCAA but I believe he has no interest in GB, but as his education is coming to an end, perhaps he'd fancy playing on the big stage.

To be clear, your belief that he has no interest in GB is based solely on your own speculation and nothing from the player.

GBHockey

Jun 2, 2018
To be clear, your belief that he has no interest in GB is based solely on your own speculation and nothing from the player.
Correct, as I stated in my original post.

There's very few other explanations as to why a player who would be first or second line for team GB would be overlooked.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Correct, as I stated in my original post.

There's very few other explanations as to why a player who would be first or second line for team GB would be overlooked.

pretty simple, he prioritized school & training with his school > divsion 1B/1A GB Seniors?

I imagine he's following a similar path as his cousin, Brett Perlini, who passed on the opportunity to represent GB while pursuing pro jobs in North America.

Now that they're in the top group, he could report because it would actually benefit his career.

GBHockey

Jun 2, 2018
pretty simple, he prioritized school & training with his school > divsion 1B/1A GB Seniors?

I imagine he's following a similar path as his cousin, Brett Perlini, who passed on the opportunity to represent GB while pursuing pro jobs in North America.

Now that they're in the top group, he could report because it would actually benefit his career.
Completely agree! I just hope sufficient work is put in by the GB set up to accommodate him or tempt him over. Playing in the top group after completing his college career (I think?), pretty perfect opportunity but I do think it'll be tough for any scouts to gather completely accurate reports on any of GB's players with us likely going to be losing most games near to double digits.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Completely agree! I just hope sufficient work is put in by the GB set up to accommodate him or tempt him over. Playing in the top group after completing his college career (I think?), pretty perfect opportunity but I do think it'll be tough for any scouts to gather completely accurate reports on any of GB's players with us likely going to be losing most games near to double digits.

Near double digits in MOST games?!??! I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised

South Korea only had 1 double digit L and it came to Canada (10-0)

I don't expect them to even come close to a win but they aren't going to take 10-0 Ls to bottom half top group teams, imo

GBHockey

Jun 2, 2018
Near double digits in MOST games?!??! I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised

South Korea only had 1 double digit L and it came to Canada (10-0)

I don't expect them to even come close to a win but they aren't going to take 10-0 Ls to bottom half top group teams, imo
It sounds really harsh and pessimistic I know but with some of the players I'd assume GB will be selecting I just struggle to see us not losing by double digits in some if not most games. David Phillips and Stephen Lee vs. the likes of McDavid, MacKinnon, Kane etc.

If we get a win against anyone, it'll be incredible.

GBHockey

Jun 2, 2018
Belfast Giants have been crowned 2018-19 Elite League Champions.

It came down to game 60, the final day of the regular season to crown a champion and as a result of Cardiff losing to Coventry, Belfast were crowned league champions by way of more regulation wins with both Belfast and Cardiff finishing on the same points total.

League: Belfast
Cup: Belfast
Playoffs: TBC

2019-20 CHL: Belfast and Cardiff
2019-20 Continental Cup: TBC

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Milton Keynes Lightning are going to league the EIHL and joing the newly formed second tier NIHL league.

Currently their team is a mess thanks to the new owners running the team into the ground and fans obviously aren't happy as they only just moved to the EIHL.

ZT

Jun 19, 2015
Croatia
Quarter-final first legs:

Guildford - Glasgow 2:3 (o:2, 0:1, 2:0)
Belfast - Coventry 5:0 (1:0, 2:0, 2:0)
Sheffield - Cardiff 5:4 (1:0, 3:1, 1:3)
Fife - Nottingham 3:3 (3:2, 0:0, 0:1)

Nice comeback from Cardiff.

GBHockey

Jun 2, 2018
So then!

Belfast vs Guildford
Nottingham vs Cardiff

Who will be in the final?!

The Continental Cup place will go to either Guildford or Nottingham, but for Guildford to get it they must win the playoffs whereas Nottingham only require Guildford to not win playoffs.

GBHockey

Jun 2, 2018
Cardiff win the Playoffs.

Cardiff 2-1 Belfast

Nottingham Panthers take third/bronze beating Guildford 9-5.

Nottingham claim the Continental Cup spot.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
It sounds really harsh and pessimistic I know but with some of the players I'd assume GB will be selecting I just struggle to see us not losing by double digits in some if not most games. David Phillips and Stephen Lee vs. the likes of McDavid, MacKinnon, Kane etc.

If we get a win against anyone, it'll be incredible.

I imagine you were surprised then. Some of the games were a bit rough, but that final game!

Maritime Hockey

Aug 14, 2021
NB,NS,PEI
Recently did an interview with Glasgow Clan forward Colin Campbell and he said he would love to return to the Clan next season. Wishing him all the best 👍.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Just for any who are curious, the EIHL salary cap and salary floor were confirmed by one of the league directors.

Salary cap is £12,500 per week (apx. $15,600)
Salary floor is £8,000

At most teams pay for around 32 weeks salary so that gives a yearly budget of £400k (apx. $501k)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Just for any who are curious, the EIHL salary cap and salary floor were confirmed by one of the league directors.

Salary cap is £12,500 per week (apx. $15,600)
Salary floor is £8,000

At most teams pay for around 32 weeks salary so that gives a yearly budget of £400k (apx. $501k)
Then you have the cardiff devils. They are already being accused of breaking the cap rules

Reactions: Rigafan

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
the devils do not pay rent--the city hated the old owners so badly that when the guys from Calgary came in they gave them a sweetheart deal.
While that is clearly a great advantage to Cardiff I have heard Kelman defend this by saying something along the lines of... "I'd rather have 3,000 extra seats to sell and rent to pay, then 3,000 seats max with free rent"

Maritime Hockey

Aug 14, 2021
NB,NS,PEI
Mark Simpson has signed with the Sheffield Steelers!

This is a good move by the Steelers as Simpson is a fast 6"5 centre that was known for his defensive play when he played in university. played a limited role in the AHL a few years ago but still put up decent numbers (8 Points in 31 games in 2021-22 with the Stockton Heat).

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad