Speculation: Eichel Mega Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Did you see the statement released by Eichel and his agents just now?? Yea…that’s not a good look for the sabres. Quite frankly embarrassing and amateur hour

Embarrassing and amateur hour because the Sabres are holding firm and not giving him away for peanuts?

LOL,…..whatever you say, Junior.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Told you guys.

This is not a good look for the Sabres among players. Could turn into a real black eye. This is why everyone kept saying "It is in everyone's best interests for Eichel to be moved, both for Eichel and the team" This longer this goes on, the less and less incentive Eichel has to keep silent and refrain from damaging the Sabres. I really don't think the Sabres have all the leverage here and if they don't start figuring something out, it could get to a point where their EXISTING offers are withdrawn because of how toxic an asset Eichel becomes or because of legal and medical issues.

Eichel has legitimate grounds to sue the team, and the player's association might even help him, how does that look?

Edit: I'll add, the reason Eichel has kept his mouth shut since the trade request was because the Sabres were doing what he asked and looking for a trade. As soon as they stop looking for a trade or a trade isn't happening, they lose all leverage on him.

The Letter also was very specific about the timeline of Eichel's readiness to begin the season if he has surgery. This was a clear message to other teams attempting to aide the Sabres in getting the offer they need, it was a bit of an olive branch.

I, personally, would not be waiting if I was Kevyn Adams, but maybe that's why I'm not an NHL Gm. Then again, if Adams keeps screwing this up, he might not be one for long either.

question, say he goes and gets the surgery on his own to keep the timeline. ( he’s rich, he can do that) and the Sabres void for breach of contract and won’t pay him. Does that make him a UFA?

I bet you ADams is kicking himself for not dealing him last offseason when the offers where better prior to the neck injury. Instead of pretending like Eichel wasn’t available and he was happy in buffalo and buffalo was happy with him.
A 5 year old could see that his agent was leaking trade rumors last summer but buffalo fans didn’t want to believe it.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
not sure how much control teams actually wield when it comes to dictating the medical treatment but as a player I wouldn't want it shoved in my face that my employer get's to decide whether i need surgery or not. I'm sure there's something about it in the contract but damn.
A lot as it’s the cause of the trade request. He wanted surgery and they said no.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Ask yourself why Eichel is taking this to the court of pubic opinion and not the injury arbitration available to him. He wants you to know he needs this specific surgery. But also doesn’t want you to think about how he doesn’t take the avenue available to proving it.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
He will be a Duck by tomorrow 5pm pst (just a guess)
I'd be shocked if he's traded at all before he has surgery.

I assume this is the calculation for all the parties involved:

(1) Eichel: wants to have the surgery he prefers, and probably also wants out of Buffalo, but in that order.
(2) Buffalo: won't trade Eichel for less than he's worth and don't want him to be the pilot of a new surgical technique among professional athletes.
(3) Suitors: aren't going to be giving Buffalo the value the Sabres want when they don't know the results of the surgery.

I would guess the way this ultimately gets resolved is Buffalo gives in and allows Eichel to have the surgery he's asking for, we see the results, and then he is traded. Until the surgery this is going to sit in limbo, unless Buffalo sells Eichel for less than a healthy Eichel is worth (unlikely) or Eichel's trade comes with a lot of conditionals (which, given that conditions are necessarily draft picks, and those are not the assets Buffalo wants back as the principal return for Eichel, this is also unlikely).

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Ya, Eichel's not going to quietly let Adams wait the market out. This is only going to get messier the longer it drags on.

Similar to Duchene situation and that dragged out for sooooo long. Sakic got great value in the end but if he took those offers which were offered first.. only shit deals.

Sucks if Buffalo is forced to make a trade. You never get the best price.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
question, say he goes and gets the surgery on his own to keep the timeline. ( he’s rich, he can do that) and the Sabres void for breach of contract and won’t pay him. Does that make him a UFA?
Not a lawyer, sorry, and especially well versed in this area of law. Apparently Eichel could have gone to some sort of Arbitration for this issue but because the treatment he wants is still not big in North America, and it is experimental, he doesn't want to go to arbitration because he probably lose.

Normally, I'd say "Okay, he's being unreasonable then, he had an avenue to contest the medical decision by the Sabres and is choosing not to do it", but the other side of me says "What if this was the 40's or 50's and he wanted what was then an experimental treatment for his cancer and wanted a bone marrow transplant? Should he not be allowed because the Sabres want him to do chemo?"

Not sure about the law though. Might even be a new area of law if he sues.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Similar to Duchene situation and that dragged out for sooooo long. Sakic got great value in the end but if he took those offers which were offered first.. only shit deals.

Sucks if Buffalo is forced to make a trade. You never get the best price.
Did Duchene need neck surgery?

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Ask yourself why Eichel is taking this to the court of pubic opinion and not the injury arbitration available to him. He wants you to know he needs this specific surgery. But also doesn’t want you to think about how he doesn’t take the avenue available to proving it.
Dude, his body, his choice. The Sabres could always offer to mutually terminate his contract.

Rsswmu

May 20, 2014
Have to trade him or let him get surgery. If this doesn’t happen good luck signing UFAs in the future, or your own young players to long term deals. The longer this hangs out the worse it will look, Eichel put a lot of pressure on with this statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad