Speculation: Eichel Mega Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
If they've set themselves up that poorly for 2022-25 (which isn't impossible) there's roughly zero chance that they actually trade for Eichel. They're not going to push all those chips in on a guy that might not even play until half way through next season.
Well Billy G just hamstrung the team with those 2 buyouts. Hes shown very little to inspire confidence

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Well Billy G just hamstrung the team with those 2 buyouts. Hes shown very little to inspire confidence
The team was hamstrung by contracts that he didn't sign. I'm not convinced that the buyouts were the best way to deal with it (or at least Suter's wasn't), but it's not like that $15m problem just appeared in the last two weeks.

But either way if the situation beyond next year is really that dire they're not just going to start trading away unprotected 1sts and top prospects.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Giving them Cole + 1st is already 2x 1st rounders. Adding Romanov + 3rd is quite close to 3x 1st rounders. You would have to also add a cap dump (Drouin)

I know Habs would like to have Eichel but from my understanding, Cole and Suzuki are non-starters. Guess Sabres need to look at other dancing partners..

Sabres' 2nd round or choice of prospect will be a wash for Romanov. Sabres' 2nd round pick will be pretty high it is almost a late 1st

Eichel is easily worth Cole + 1st; Eichel does not equal to Cole and the 1st sabres would get would be a late 1st, Montreal will be a solid team with Eichel as they will have a good centre depth

Eichel
Suzuki
KK

If Montreal wants to dump Drouin then that will cost extra IMO

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey
I'm sticking with a Wild package. I’ve always believed it will be the Wild and it makes sense on so many levels. Rossi could and should be the main target to reunite him with Jack Quinn.

Rossi, Fiala, Rask and a 2022 - 1st.

When Rossi fell to the Wild at 9, Guerin and Brackett practically fell over themselves in disbelief, that had him ranked in their top 3 for that draft class. Every interview and behind the scenes video that relates to him shows that they see him as the future of the franchise basically. Consensus among Wild fans is that we should hold on to Rossi for dear life, and that seems to be the sentiment within the organization as well. I'd say the chance that Rossi is traded is about as close to 0% as you can get.

Now could Adams pry away Boldy in an Eichel trade? Maybe. I don't think Guerin would be excited to do that with the way Boldy has been trending in his development but there's a much higher chance that he's traded vs. Rossi. And Fiala at this point is probably 50/50 to be on the team this coming season, so I'm sure he'd be included or traded to another team for assets that are then flipped to Buffalo in a three team deal. But that's the basis for a move with Minnesota, Rossi isn't going anywhere.

The team was hamstrung on July 4th, 2012, the moment Zach and Ryan put pen to paper. The cap hits were always going to be bad the last 4-5 years, that was known when they signed. Buying them out changes nothing except there's some minimal cap relief for a few years and then $1.6m in dead cap for four extra years. Parise was already a 12/13 forward and that wasn't going to change, Suter was and is still a decent 2nd pairing defenseman but the organization felt his minutes were going to continue to be cut as his play gradually fell off and didn't want the distraction that Parise's situation provided this year. All the buyouts do is create two roster spots to be filled by prospects coming in on ELC's in a couple years. The cap ramifications haven't changed since they signed

Reactions: Rask Decisions

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Surprised CBJ haven't come up much. They have a load of cap space, a deep enough pool of prospects that Sillinger wouldn't be part of any return, and 2 1sts next year.

AFAIK They wanted to get a center in return for Jones. They got a great deal, but no center. Aside from possible Sillinger, who would be a few years away from center. I'm super high on him, but like his chances more as a winger in the NHL. Was audibly pissed when CBJ made the pick.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Surprised CBJ haven't come up much. They have a load of cap space, a deep enough pool of prospects that Sillinger wouldn't be part of any return, and 2 1sts next year.

AFAIK They wanted to get a center in return for Jones. They got a great deal, but no center.

Do you think Eichel would be happy in Columbus? Because he's going to get moved somewhere he wants to be. No team is going to give up the assets to get him only to end up with him wanting out again.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
When Rossi fell to the Wild at 9, Guerin and Brackett practically fell over themselves in disbelief, that had him ranked in their top 3 for that draft class. Every interview and behind the scenes video that relates to him shows that they see him as the future of the franchise basically. Consensus among Wild fans is that we should hold on to Rossi for dear life, and that seems to be the sentiment within the organization as well. I'd say the chance that Rossi is traded is about as close to 0% as you can get.

Now could Adams pry away Boldy in an Eichel trade? Maybe. I don't think Guerin would be excited to do that with the way Boldy has been trending in his development but there's a much higher chance that he's traded vs. Rossi. And Fiala at this point is probably 50/50 to be on the team this coming season, so I'm sure he'd be included or traded to another team for assets that are then flipped to Buffalo in a three team deal. But that's the basis for a move with Minnesota, Rossi isn't going anywhere.

The team was hamstrung on July 4th, 2012, the moment Zach and Ryan put pen to paper. The cap hits were always going to be bad the last 4-5 years, that was known when they signed. Buying them out changes nothing except there's some minimal cap relief for a few years and then $1.6m in dead cap for four extra years. Parise was already a 12/13 forward and that wasn't going to change, Suter was and is still a decent 2nd pairing defenseman but the organization felt his minutes were going to continue to be cut as his play gradually fell off and didn't want the distraction that Parise's situation provided this year. All the buyouts do is create two roster spots to be filled by prospects coming in on ELC's in a couple years. The cap ramifications haven't changed since they signed
I bet Guerin would fall all over himself even more if he landed Eichel. They are impossible to find. Rossi might turn into a solid 1/2C. It’s also a window to compete for the Wild issue. Rossi could take years.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa

Sure but I think they are overrating the success they had last year. Kaprizov getting paid big money soon. Need 2 ELC guys in Boldy and Rossi to come in and produce. They were in a division with 4 teams in the bottom 1/3 of the league.

TheBlueLlama

Mar 17, 2021
Minnesota
If he didn’t buy them out, those cap hits are still there for the next 4 years in addition to both of them taking up a roster spot and preventing younger players to take on more prominent roles.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Do you think Eichel would be happy in Columbus? Because he's going to get moved somewhere he wants to be. No team is going to give up the assets to get him only to end up with him wanting out again.

I think he wants to win. If they win yes he'll be happy. That team looks well poised to do a lot of winning.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021

AFAIK They wanted to get a center in return for Jones. They got a great deal, but no center. Aside from possible Sillinger, who would be a few years away from center. I'm super high on him, but like his chances more as a winger in the NHL. Was audibly pissed when CBJ made the pick.

It doesn't really make sense for them. They took Johnson and Sillinger this year and are likely picking high again next, when there are several good Cs by the looks of it.

They'd need to give up several of the assets that they've just got rid of players for.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
If he didn’t buy them out, those cap hits are still there for the next 4 years in addition to both of them taking up a roster spot and preventing younger players to take on more prominent roles.
Ok so buyout Parise. Suter was still eating tough minutes on a playoff (albeit unspectacular) team. Now you have to find D to shoulder a lot of minutes quickly.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I bet Guerin would fall all over himself even more if he landed Eichel. They are impossible to find. Rossi might turn into a solid 1/2C. It’s also a window to compete for the Wild issue. Rossi could take years.
What’s our window to compete? In my mind, it really starts 4 years from now.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
It doesn't really make sense for them. They took Johnson and Sillinger this year and are likely picking high again next, when there are several good Cs by the looks of it.

They'd need to give up several of the assets that they've just got rid of players for.

I think they're far more likely to make playoffs than win a lottery pick. With Eichel I'd think they're an easy playoff team.

IMO they can land Eichel without trading anything they want off their roster or moving Sillinger/Johnson.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I find it funny to read the name Zachary Jones in the exchange offers (NYR-BUF).
The funniest thing to read is now.
Zachary Jones – LD.

BUF( LD):
Rasmus Dahlin
Mattias Samuelsson
Ryan Johnson

The situation changed a few days ago.
One little-known player (LD) came in - Owen Power.

Some Rangers fans need more realism.
Before the sentence in the subject “Jack Eichel”, you need to read the mantra three times:

"Pavel Buchnevich - 9OA, Pavel Buchnevich - 8OA, Pavel Buchnevich - 5OA".
This mantra helps to return to reality. :thumbu:
aside from everything else in your post Jones actually can play both sides effectively. i'm not trying to argue about multiple things here, i am just stating he can and has done so.

Reactions: bernmeister

TheBlueLlama

Mar 17, 2021
Minnesota
Ok so buyout Parise. Suter was still eating tough minutes on a playoff (albeit unspectacular) team. Now you have to find D to shoulder a lot of minutes quickly.
This I agree with, the only way I can make sense of buying out Suter as well was due to expansion. It boils down to protecting as many assets as possible, especially if he intends to package some of them for a 1c.

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey

I'm sure he'd love to add Eichel, that's why he's continued trade talks with Adams. But with all things, cost becomes prohibitive at a certain point. The organization views Rossi as the 1C of the future, he was expected to compete for a roster spot this past year before his complications with COVID, and while I think he'll probably need to start in Iowa for 15-20 games, I believe that Rossi will be playing in a top 6 roll for the Wild before the break. He's a potential superstar in the making, a heart and soul type future Captain, and he's going to be on an ELC at a time the Wild desperately need cap flexibility. You can think of him similarly to Kaprizov, basically untouchable. But I'd think everyone else in the organization is up for grabs if the price is right, which so far it hasn't been.

Sure but I think they are overrating the success they had last year. Kaprizov getting paid big money soon. Need 2 ELC guys in Boldy and Rossi to come in and produce. They were in a division with 4 teams in the bottom 1/3 of the league.

Maybe, but the central division isn't anything to behold really. Colorado is a great team, after that nobody else scares me. Arizona is going to get kicked around, Chicago is on the decline, St. Louis is middling, Winnipeg is just okay. Maybe Dallas rebounds, but the Wild should figure to be competitive again this year. Obviously anything can change and an injury here or there could derail the season but I expect Minnesota to make the playoffs, beyond that though I don't expect much.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The thing is.... we've seen that a team with Eichel on doesn't automatically have any window at all. Your own GM has decided that he doesn't fit their window. Sure, coaching, cast, etc.... but that's kind of the point. If Eichel only works on a team that has better talent around him than Evander Kane and Ryan O'Reilly and Rasmus Dahlin and Sam Reinhart then maybe he isn't worth 4 extremely highly valued assets.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
The thing is.... we've seen that a team with Eichel on doesn't automatically have any window at all. Your own GM has decided that he doesn't fit their window. Sure, coaching, cast, etc.... but that's kind of the point. If Eichel only works on a team that has better talent around him than Evander Kane and Ryan O'Reilly and Rasmus Dahlin and Sam Reinhart then maybe he isn't worth 4 extremely highly valued assets.
Thing is, the Wild have way more depth than the Sabres ever have.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
The Wild had Victor Rask as their #1 C.

BUF had ROR w/ Eichel.

Jack didn't come into league blazing. He finally put it together the year before last.

Reinhart is a nice complimentary player.
Dahlin too young.
ROR did his thing.
Defense was horrible.
Goaltending was horrible.
Coaching has been atrocious.

Even so.. last year I didn't think they were a bad team... they were playing well in beginning of season ..and then they got hit with Covid and were shut down. They never recovered from that... injuries to key players then hit them and they didn't have the depth to replace them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad