Speculation: Eichel: Do we want/need him? .....Who/what would you trade?

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Cap doesn't work.

Out:
Kempe at $2
Iafallo at $4
Bjornfot $.9
cap space $2.7

In:
Eichel at $10
Hagg at $.8

$1.2 million short on a 22 man roster.
waive Matta would give u enough room :)

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Someone would have to claim him. Otherwise, Maatta would have to be replaced. negligible cap savings. Burying the contract still leaves the kings over. $100k or so.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Someone would have to claim him. Otherwise, Maatta would have to be replaced. negligible cap savings.
Sure but finding 1 million in cap space isn't that hard to do and we have enough rookies with promise to bring up The cap isnt that hard to figure out

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
The math doesn't add up, unless there is an additional trade to move out a roster player to gain CAP space

Love to see Eichel in LA, but just doesn't seem possible.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Now granted the would be some more roster tweaks needed but the frame work for the deal is there. Finding 1.2 million in cap space is as easy as waiving / demoting Wagner and running a 22 man roster for a couple weeks Finding 1.2 million in cap space is not that hard to find. I am not saying Buffalo would take it but the package is close for cap space.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
If they’re trading for Eichel, they need to dump so much salary. And because of most of our roster is either high cap hits or low it leaves few options.

You’d have to move out Iafallo, Kempe, Matta and Quick and that’s just for cap reasons. That’s not even assets for the actual trade.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
We would be $1.2 million over on a 22 man roster. We'd have to bury someone and run a 20 man roster for a period of time since burying one is not enough to get under.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Blake has previously stated he would let the vets choose to stay or go since they've earned the right via tenure and cups. Absent a demand from Brown/Quick, moving one of them goes against that.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Who are three prospects making a push for the opening night roster? I think the candidates would be …

Kupari
Byfield
Kaliyev
Andersson
JAD
Grundstrom
Fagemo
Turcotte

Bjornfot
Clague
Strand
Durzi

The first six forwards spent time on the Kings roster last season. The first three only had a small number of games. 7 and 6 games for Kupari and Byfield, respectively; and 1 game for Kaliyev. And Durzi was the only D to not get NHL games last year.

So I would strike Andersson, Grundstrom, Fagemo, Turcotte, Strand and Durzi off the list. They’re either too low ceiling or too unproven to be in an Eichel package. I also think Byfield is the one untouchable on this list, so he’s out as well. Which leaves us with a potential list of 5 players to trade 3 plus a 1st for Eichel and Haag.

Kupari
Kaliyev
JAD

Bjornfot
Clague

I think the choice for D depends on the forwards taken. If Kaliyev is in the package, then by default the other players are JAD and Clague. Or if Kaliyev is also off the table, then it looks like Kupari, JAD, Bjornfot. Tough choice to make.

Eichel in for a first and either …

Option A: Kaliyev, JAD, Clague or ..

Option B: Kupari, JAD, Bjornfot

The second option is a no brainer. Do that deal every day and twice on Sundays. The first deal hurts my heart, but my head says that Eichel should score more goals with Kopitar and Doughty than Arthur will. My worry is that Luc has been sleeping over at Pat Brissons house and couldn’t find Tashkent on a map if his life depended on it.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Comes down to the cost. If it didn't cost too many major assets go for it. I'd be ok with Vilardi+. Don't want to give up Byfield, Turcotte, Clarke or next year's 1st, Kaliyev. Pretty much anything GMKA would want. Lol. Eichel isn't a need right now. If the price is livable adding Eichel would give this team a huge boost.

Cap not that hard to work out. Iafallo + Maatta gets most of the way there, maybe AA too.

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
Comes down to the cost. If it didn't cost too many major assets go for it. I'd be ok with Vilardi+. Don't want to give up Byfield, Turcotte, Clarke or next year's 1st, Kaliyev. Pretty much anything GMKA would want. Lol. Eichel isn't a need right now. If the price is livable adding Eichel would give this team a huge boost.

Cap not that hard to work out. Iafallo + Maatta gets most of the way there, maybe AA too.

I’d trade Turcotte before Vilardi or Kaliyev JMHO.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
It doesn't make any sense to bring Eichel here.

FIrst, the offers around here would be easily beaten by other teams. Look at our list of top prospects from the polls and put in two of the top 4, that's what it's going to take. They aren't going to want guys like JAD, Clague, Kempe, etc. Think Turcotte/Kaliyev, Clarke, and Iafallo, something like that. Not that he's worth that to me, but there are other teams that would pony that up. If he was completely healthy, it would take Byfield+Clarke to even get the conversation started.

Second, the cap can be made to work now, but that's not the problem. With 3 guys making 38% of the cap, it would make it difficult to sign guys like Kempe, Moore, Vilardi, Anderson, and Bjornfot, as they all go RFA before Kopitar falls off, and 22-23 in particular already looks sketchy even without a $10M guy on the books. Any replacement on their level would cost even more, so that's not an option. Not to mention the goalie situation needs to be addressed in some shape or form. Don't expect Petersen to stay on for the $858K he currently makes.

It's just not a plausible option.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Yeah, cap-wise we’d rival the Maple Leafs for players making $10M+ but with even less skill and youth.

The more I think about it the more I can’t see us adding another $10M cap hit until Kopitar’s contract ends at the soonest.

Token

May 15, 2019
Kempe, Maatta - two former first round picks.
Athanasiu - for cap reasons
Then one of the non-blue-chip (Byfield, Clarke, Kaliyev, Turcotte are untouchable) prospects … Kupari, Vilardi or Andersson, whatever.

and a conditional 3rd round pick - becomes 2nd if he plays 40 games, 1st- if Kings make conference finals and he plays in 50% of the games.

the numbers work, would be snug on the cap, they get their 4 x 1st round picks if it all works out, we get some protection if it doesn’t on the final pick.

Then you find an insurance company that will hold that contract and let him get the disk replacement.

pretty damn fair.

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
Well???

Here's my stupid trade suggestion. It assumes we want/need Eichel. Take it or leave it..... or modify it!!!

TO BUFFALO:

Kempe (LW, RW) ...24 yrs. old......$2 million this season & RFA next season
Kupari (LW, C, RW) ...21 yrs. old...$863,333 this season & next season & RFA thereafter
Wagner (LW, RW) ...24 yrs. old.....$1,133,333 this season & next season & RFA thereafter

Walker (RD) ...26 yrs. old...............$2,650,000 for the next three seasons and then UFA thereafter

1st round pick in 2023 (should this be conditional upon Eichel's health? Dunno...)

The total cap space above = $6,646, 666

***maybe*** add Madden??? (this is for peeps who suggest that the stuff I've listed above is "not enough"...)

TO LOS ANGELES:

Eichel
(C) ...24 yrs. old...............@ $1.5 million retained, or $8.5 million for the next five seasons, then UFA thereafter

3rd round pick in 2022

4th round pick in 2023

BTW, YES, the Cap thing would fit. Because we already have $2,737,912 in Cap Space, the following math is what applies (mostly!):

$6,646,666 (what is saved by moving Kempe, Kupari, Walker, & Wagner)
$2,737,912 (current Cap Space)

The summation is $9,384,578

$9,384,578 - $8,500,000 = $884,578 Cap Space

SUE ME!!!

I don’t believe this trade fits under the cap.

1) Kupari isn’t even currently on the NHL roster. And if he was, it would require at least a player on a minimum contract ($750K) to replace to fill his roster spot. The same can be said of Kempe and Wagner. So basically, you you’ve only cleared $1.5M by trading those 3 players.
2) In order to clear enough cap space, you would have no choice but to trade Iafallo and Athanasiou for sure. You’re probably also looking at Kempe too. That clears about $6.5M if you waive Wagner and Lemieux, you clear another $750K. That puts you around $9.9 million in cap space.
3) None of the players mentioned so far comes close to meeting the demands for Eichel. So you’re still looking at adding Vilardi, Turcotte and most likely Clarke.

Nice try though.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I think it’s a mistake to assume Kings management is as patient as a portion of the fan base, let’s call it 50% for discussion purposes. The pressure on the team to win is at a high point for this regime. A return to the playoffs is how the season will be judged.

Four playoff games is the threshold for unqualified success. Anything less than that presents outcomes with low qualities of success. If you miss the wild card by 5 points with the vets leading the way, it’s unlikely more than one forward prospect breaks out due to lack of ice time. But this is second best outcome as it buys you time for the future.

A decline in play by top players could open up time for prospects, but that would come late in the season when the team is practically out of the hunt. So a scenario where the Kings are closer to 8th in the division than 4th by Feb 1 could be very ugly for those in charge.

In the best of times, the Kings are the fourth fiddle in the LA sports market. And while the team may operate at a profit, the increased revenue from winning eclipses the core provided by the loyal fan base during prime seasons. The casual fan dollar isn’t attuned to the depth of the prospect pool. Your buddy from work isn’t going to check out a game in March without a clear reason to.

And Jack Eichel could be that reason. The team acquiring Eichel gets to capitalize on the lead up to his return. That type of hype raises the local and national profile of a team like the Kings. If the Kings are in sixth place on Feb 1st, the prognosis on their chances to move up improves with Eichel versus a roster that has just treaded water. I think Blake has reached his Jason Allison moment.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I will believe it when I see it.

As Telos stated, it would require a 180 from Blake, extreme cap gymnastics requiring one of brown/quick to go to buffalo, and assuredly require blake to completely repudiate the promises he made to Danault.
Can the Kings just give them Brown and then add Yafallo, Vilardi, Roy, Kupari, Wags, Lemieux, Wolanin, Hrenak, Ingram,Lizotte and Thomas

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Kempe, Maatta - two former first round picks.
Athanasiu - for cap reasons
Then one of the non-blue-chip (Byfield, Clarke, Kaliyev, Turcotte are untouchable) prospects … Kupari, Vilardi or Andersson, whatever.

and a conditional 3rd round pick - becomes 2nd if he plays 40 games, 1st- if Kings make conference finals and he plays in 50% of the games.

the numbers work, would be snug on the cap, they get their 4 x 1st round picks if it all works out, we get some protection if it doesn’t on the final pick.

Then you find an insurance company that will hold that contract and let him get the disk replacement.

pretty damn fair.

Fair from the Kings perspective, yes. Everything above is in their favor.

Here's a question, would you have traded Kopitar, after he blew out his knee in 2011 for:

Nick Schmaltz
Mike Matheson
A middling cap dump
Josh Norris
and conditional 3rd?

That's essentially what you are offering here. Some good players there, that's probably marginally better than the Kings offer above. But would you do it?

The back thing is certainly scary, but he's skating around ripping shots at the moment. Look at it from a Buffalo perspective and think about if you would take the above offer, seeing how they are obviously going to start from scratch again and want quality over quantity.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad