Speculation: Eichel: Do we want/need him? .....Who/what would you trade?

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
If he could be had for cheap and we knew he would recover 100% then sure.

Just out of curiosity, cap wise could we juggle it if Eichel took the year off to fix his neck on ltir?

Then when Kopitar either retires in a few years or goes 3c, we are guaranteed a 1c replacement instead of needing to rely on either Turcotte or Byfield to pan out.

Do we have enough cap coming off the books in Brown and possibly some of our buyouts etc?

Realistically signing Dunno probably scuppered any Eichel fantasies.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
An Eichel trade would be in poor timing in relation to where the roster is at now.

You make that move after things shake out and you have a better understanding of who is going to pan out & in what way.

Cost too high, time too soon.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
5) Eichel comes off to me like a selfish player that we don't want to expose our impressionable youth to

How so? Everyone and their Mum wanted/wants out of Buffalo. It's a culture problem to say the least.

You can make the argument that he shouldn't have signed that contract and I would certainly agree with you, but the dude wants surgery asap so he can play hockey like very other NHLer. Can't blame the dude for that.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
maxresdefault.jpg

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
If he could be had for cheap and we knew he would recover 100% then sure.

Just out of curiosity, cap wise could we juggle it if Eichel took the year off to fix his neck on ltir?

Then when Kopitar either retires in a few years or goes 3c, we are guaranteed a 1c replacement instead of needing to rely on either Turcotte or Byfield to pan out.

Do we have enough cap coming off the books in Brown and possibly some of our buyouts etc?

Realistically signing Dunno probably scuppered any Eichel fantasies.

He could not be had for cheap and we do not know if he would ever recover 100%.
Why even bother talking about it?

Reactions: RocketKing

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
He could not be had for cheap and we do not know if he would ever recover 100%.
Why even bother talking about it?

His current trade cost should be cheaper than his normal trade cost.

LA have also taken calculated risks on injured / injury prone players in the past (Mitchell with concussions and jdub with eggshells) If our medical team felt confident in a complete recovery that may be enough.

Perhaps because its better than bitching about jersey colours or irritating comentators or players dogs

:wally

Maybe if you dont want to discuss it, dont click on the topic?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The Eichel trade is off the table. They got Arvidsson, Danault and Edler. They got vets.

They went for quantity over quality, but it wasn't a bad move.

Reactions: YP44 and Lt Dan

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
Well???

Here's my stupid trade suggestion. It assumes we want/need Eichel. Take it or leave it..... or modify it!!!

TO BUFFALO:

Kempe (LW, RW) ...24 yrs. old......$2 million this season & RFA next season
Kupari (LW, C, RW) ...21 yrs. old...$863,333 this season & next season & RFA thereafter
Wagner (LW, RW) ...24 yrs. old.....$1,133,333 this season & next season & RFA thereafter

Walker (RD) ...26 yrs. old...............$2,650,000 for the next three seasons and then UFA thereafter

1st round pick in 2023 (should this be conditional upon Eichel's health? Dunno...)

The total cap space above = $6,646, 666

***maybe*** add Madden??? (this is for peeps who suggest that the stuff I've listed above is "not enough"...)

TO LOS ANGELES:

Eichel
(C) ...24 yrs. old...............@ $1.5 million retained, or $8.5 million for the next five seasons, then UFA thereafter

3rd round pick in 2022

4th round pick in 2023

BTW, YES, the Cap thing would fit. Because we already have $2,737,912 in Cap Space, the following math is what applies (mostly!):

$6,646,666 (what is saved by moving Kempe, Kupari, Walker, & Wagner)
$2,737,912 (current Cap Space)

The summation is $9,384,578

$9,384,578 - $8,500,000 = $884,578 Cap Space

SUE ME!!!

sorry for coming in here and ruining your wishful thinking but ... This is really bad..

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
His current trade cost should be cheaper than his normal trade cost.

LA have also taken calculated risks on injured / injury prone players in the past (Mitchell with concussions and jdub with eggshells) If our medical team felt confident in a complete recovery that may be enough.

Perhaps because its better than bitching about jersey colours or irritating comentators or players dogs

:wally

Maybe if you dont want to discuss it, dont click on the topic?

None of those guys you mentioned cost us our top prospect, and multiple high draft picks. Eichel will cost at least 2-4 assets and picks. All that for a good player with a serious neck injury. A healthy player, perhaps, but not the way he is now.

Reactions: kinghock

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
If it was gonna happen it would have happened before the draft using the Kings high 1st round pick. Pretty sure the Kings aren't gonna pick as high as 8th in 2022, unless they win the lottery.

Fun to think about though. Were Eichel healthy I would have offered Vilardi, Kempe, the 2021 first that became Clarke, and Clague. Now that the draft is over, I wouldn't include Clarke, and substituting the 2022 1st just doesn't look as attractive a package. All moot until Eichel's health is resolved.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Don't want Eichel as he is now. For reasons, do you want the short list or the long list?

1) Asset cost to acquire.
2) Third $10+ million cap hit.
3) The Kings already made moves with Arvidsson and Danault
4) Eichel has made it plain he doesn't want to play for a rebuilding team.
5) Captain neck surgery

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
The Sabres want full price for a player with a neck situation that hasn't been resolved. I wouldn't move a late round pick straight up until I was sure he's going to play again at or close to the level he was (yes, I exaggerated greatly for effect).

The only question for other teams (the Kings are clearly not going to be in the running) is, do you take a massive risk now or wait and potentially lose out to another team that is willing to.

If I'm a GM, I don't pick up the phone and call Buffalo until Eichel's gotten the surgery (or not), recovered and at least taken part in full-contract scrimmages. For many reasons, I believe Buffalo certainly would like to move him before that. I say good luck.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
There's legit no logical way the Kings get Eichel. This is a useless discussion. They got a thicc contract on Danault. We got Arvidsson. They got their role players so it's obvious that real talent is expected from prospects. It makes no sense to go highway to cap hell when the rebuild hasn't shown to be finished.

I'd say Eichel was good when it made logically sense to get a superstar. But it's evident they're banking on Byfield and want to create a strong supporting cast rather than go after a big fish.

I can respect that approach, but that approach closed the door on Eichel. Let it go bro.

Disclaimer: creating a strong supporting cast rather than getting the big kahuna instead ISN'T a bad play.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
The short answer is no. Obviously, he'd be an incredible asset if we were to nab him, but the cost both in assets and cap space is just way too much to consider, especially now. Honestly, I think we will get more out of signing Danault and trading for Arvidsson than we will trading for Eichel. It is more of a Stoll/Greene, in the aggregate, approach than just sign Visnovsky and hope he will carry the planet. The Kings have the best center pipeline in the NHL. It's time to foster and rely on that and build the support structure needed to give it the best chance to yield Kopitar's heir. I'd rather roll the dice on making our own franchise center than throwing everything and all of our cap space to acquire a banged-up version of another teams' franchise player.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Yafallo,Brown,Frk,Vilardi,Roy,Markkonen,Lemieux,Wagner,Grans,Thomas,Kupari and Madden! That would make the Sabres at least respectable and funny thing is the Kings wouldn't miss any of those players a bit...maybe Roy,Kupari

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
It’s not going to happen. But if it did happen, my dream scenario would be …

Eichel to the Kings, no salary retained, he gets his choice of surgery and he returns in March 2022.
Sign UFA G Dubnyk

To Buffalo…

Brown, Quick to make cap room
Vilardi, Turcotte, 2022 1st

Prior to Eichel returning you can throw out …

Iafallo Kopitar Kaliyev
Kempe Danault Arvidsson
AA Byfield Moore
Wagner Lizotte Lemieux
JAD Grundstrom

When Eichel returns you give him 2C and push Danault to 3C. Byfield moves to LW on the third line and AA moves to 4 LW. Which pushes Wagner out of the lineup, removing the weakest link.

The Kings cruise to the 3 seed in the division and Clarke goes pro after his NCAA season ends early. If all that happens and Maata turns into Scuderi, Kings win the cup.

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
Yafallo,Brown,Frk,Vilardi,Roy,Markkonen,Lemieux,Wagner,Grans,Thomas,Kupari and Madden! That would make the Sabres at least respectable and funny thing is the Kings wouldn't miss any of those players a bit...maybe Roy,Kupari

So essentially we ice a whole Sabres team for Eichel? Buffalo goes over the cap and the contract limit. The NHL vetos that trade 10/10 times. The NHLPA files a complaint and every agent in professional hockey avoids trading with LA for the next decade. Our farm club is depleted and when injuries happen we go to the local rec league for call ups?

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Any trade for Eichel will start with Byfield + a massive overpayment. Buffalo hangs up the phone with that offer. I use to love Eichel but with his uncertain injury I will have to pass. Good effort none the less.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Eichel ship sailed for good once the Kings signed Danault.

Blake made promises to Danault that he can't go back on. If he does, that means no player would trust him again. That's not on Blake because all GMs make promises/assurances to UFAs to get them to sign.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
So essentially we ice a whole Sabres team for Eichel? Buffalo goes over the cap and the contract limit. The NHL vetos that trade 10/10 times. The NHLPA files a complaint and every agent in professional hockey avoids trading with LA for the next decade. Our farm club is depleted and when injuries happen we go to the local rec league for call ups?

He also wanted to pay Landeskog and Kubalik 8 x 11, so take everything with a grain of salt.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
It’s not going to happen. But if it did happen, my dream scenario would be …

Eichel to the Kings, no salary retained, he gets his choice of surgery and he returns in March 2022.
Sign UFA G Dubnyk

To Buffalo…

Brown, Quick to make cap room
Vilardi, Turcotte, 2022 1st

Was actually thinking about something involving Quick for Eichel, since he'd actually be an upgrade over a 40 year old Anderson and career backup in Aaron Dell (Quick still had a winning record and goals against below 3).

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
When Eichel returns you give him 2C and push Danault to 3C. Byfield moves to LW on the third line

I was mostly with you until the idea of putting a #2OA on the wing (at least) to start his career. Of course he could flourish on the wing, but you draft a big center like that to be a big center.

All of which comes back to why Eichel is not in the cards. With Kopi, Danault and Byfield up the middle Vilardi, Turcotte and/or others will likely be pushed to the wing. A long way of saying the Kings are rich up the middle; If they feel the need to dramatically improve quickly there's 5 other positions that make more sense than C.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad