Speculation: Eichel: Do we want/need him? .....Who/what would you trade?

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
So essentially we ice a whole Sabres team for Eichel? Buffalo goes over the cap and the contract limit. The NHL vetos that trade 10/10 times. The NHLPA files a complaint and every agent in professional hockey avoids trading with LA for the next decade. Our farm club is depleted and when injuries happen we go to the local rec league for call ups?
Never said anything about actually making the trade happen,just who'd I'd offer...the moment the Sabres said yes I'd pull the players off the table! LA doesn't need a malcontent and a 10 Million dollar cry baby at that

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
None of those guys you mentioned cost us our top prospect, and multiple high draft picks. Eichel will cost at least 2-4 assets and picks. All that for a good player with a serious neck injury. A healthy player, perhaps, but not the way he is now.
Eichel is more than good. He's a franchise player. A superstar. I agree with the rest of what you said.

Reactions: FromChaos22

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
You've got Kopitar, Byfield, Turcotte, Vilardi, Danault, JAD, Kupari...
come one now.
Go get a top 4 LD.
7ac.jpg

Reactions: Rekingsfan17

JTeller97

Dec 25, 2020
Saw Jack with Pat Brisson on Tuesday in Santa Monica not to brag hahaha but did find it interesting he's in La a couple weeks before training camp. Don't see any way we trade for him after signing Danault but I do think he could land in Anaheim.

Reactions: Legionnaire

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Cap’n Jack would take a square needle to the left nut for the chance to play on the Kings.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Cap’n Jack would take a square needle to the left nut for the chance to play on the Kings.
Boy, that’s some commitment!

But it keeps coming back to the cost of acquiring him as well as his health. Training camp is almost starting and we don’t even know if he needs the back surgery. If he does, he could be out for a significant amount of time.

I fully understand that you need to give up quality to get quality, but his health and $10M contract is enough for me to pass on this opportunity.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Boy, that’s some commitment!

But it keeps coming back to the cost of acquiring him as well as his health. Training camp is almost starting and we don’t even know if he needs the back surgery. If he does, he could be out for a significant amount of time.

I fully understand that you need to give up quality to get quality, but his health and $10M contract is enough for me to pass on this opportunity.

I think it’s been said he needs a neck surgery no matter what, either disc fusion (teams choice) or replacement (player’s). The quicker recovery time (90 days) for replacement has been used as an argument in favor of that option by Eichel’s doctor.

The Sabres and Eichel are facing their first true deadline with the start of camp a few weeks away. Seems like Eichel will be a no show in any case. Obviously if he gets traded. If he’s unable to play, I’m curious to see if the medical treatment dispute will prevent him from going on LT/IR. If the dispute is resolved in any combination of ways, he’s going on LTIR at some point.

So while the recovery time is significant, the argument between player and team is just extending it for no benefit to any party. At this point, it’s all about Kevin Adam’s and whether he blinks first.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Saw Jack with Pat Brisson on Tuesday in Santa Monica not to brag hahaha but did find it interesting he's in La a couple weeks before training camp. Don't see any way we trade for him after signing Danault but I do think he could land in Anaheim.

A lot of guys come to LA in the offseason, especially Brisson clients, but if it was indeed Jack I wouldn't write too much into it. I think most teams welcome NHL'ers from out of town to use their facilities, it's a nice place to get some work in before being stuck in the cold for most of the season. I think an even bigger draw is the anonymity.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
A lot of guys come to LA in the offseason, especially Brisson clients, but if it was indeed Jack I wouldn't write too much into it. I think most teams welcome NHL'ers from out of town to use their facilities, it's a nice place to get some work in before being stuck in the cold for most of the season. I think an even bigger draw is the anonymity.

Maybe Luc got Jack a coupon for 10% off all treatments at long time Kings sponsor Disc Sports & Spine Center.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Kings could have fit him in at 10 (not the 11 he got from the leafs) but that would have required trading gaborik's contract.

But the point is to add to Fishhead's comment that players routinely come to LA to meet with Brisson.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Given the source, take it with a bucket of salt , in lieu of grain, but Friedman did mention BRisson in LA meetings and such. Could be another team but maybe not

HockeyBuzz.com - Eklund - Developing: Kings/Sabres Deal Being Worked. Eichel. Six total pieces. (E4)

Per a source, “The agent for Eichel is trying to broker a deal that would send Eichel and Sabres D Robert Hagg to LA for 4 players, 3 of whom are expected to make a push to be in the Kings opening night roster (1 was for some of this past of last season). The other player is the Kings next first round pick.”

The source continued, “….this has been discussed in the summer but the Kings look like they would like to sweep in and finish this. They are comfortable with the current Eichel health issues.”

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I'll believe it when I see it. It's just too crazy to blow it up now, not to mention the financial gymnastics that have to happen to accomplish it. I am sure Eichel's agent is doing anything and everything to get the ball rolling. I am sure everyone would love to see him healthy in a Kings sweater, but the costs all around are too staggering and it is not only the wrong time but also would require a 180 from Blake & Co. to pull it off.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego

Yup, Eichel might be a pro athlete, but he and most NHLers just look like the thousands of guys who play beach volleyball and surf around the South Bay. :laugh:

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Given the source, take it with a bucket of salt , in lieu of grain, but Friedman did mention BRisson in LA meetings and such. Could be another team but maybe not

HockeyBuzz.com - Eklund - Developing: Kings/Sabres Deal Being Worked. Eichel. Six total pieces. (E4)

Per a source, “The agent for Eichel is trying to broker a deal that would send Eichel and Sabres D Robert Hagg to LA for 4 players, 3 of whom are expected to make a push to be in the Kings opening night roster (1 was for some of this past of last season). The other player is the Kings next first round pick.”

The source continued, “….this has been discussed in the summer but the Kings look like they would like to sweep in and finish this. They are comfortable with the current Eichel health issues.”
LA doesn't have room to take the Eichel and Hagg contracts unless some pretty big contracts are going the other way and I don't think the Sabres are stupid enough to do that...they can have Yafallo,Brown,Vilardi,Roy,Kupari,Thomas,Ingram,Madden,Dudas,Laferriere,Moveare,Frk,Grans and Nousiainen! Plus a first rounder in 2022 and 2024 and some more of our prospects not named Byfield, Turcotte, Chromiak, Clarke, Pinelli, Kaliyev,Fagemo,Faber, Simontaival, Parik, Kirsanov, Helenius, Spence, Lee and Markkonen

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I will believe it when I see it.

As Telos stated, it would require a 180 from Blake, extreme cap gymnastics requiring one of brown/quick to go to buffalo, and assuredly require blake to completely repudiate the promises he made to Danault.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Cap doesn't work.

Out:
Kempe at $2
Iafallo at $4
Bjornfot $.9
cap space $2.7

In:
Eichel at $10
Hagg at $.8

$1.2 million short on a 22 man roster.