Confirmed with Link: Eichel + 3rd (23) to VGK for, Tuch, Krebs, 1st (22) 2nd(23)

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Don't agree, or more to the point, Cup in 6 and then stink for 10 is not my idea of how to run a franchise. It's why I'm not in favor of Eichel. I'd much rather build a solid team and add a little something at the TDL and the off season. I always think we'll be a destination for free agents due to the tax structure, fan base, support in the community, etc. But I'd rather not get stars past their prime at high prices in a cap league.

I'm not slam dunk sold on it either but you ought to see what many other teams have in their cupboard if you think ours is going to keep us where we are, especially with our lack of proven success developing even NHLers let alone stars and the ages of our current big names.

Being very good but not great all the time and doing less in trades was the Ducks model for most of last decade and they have nothing to show for it and needed a rebuild anyway.

Jack Eichel doesn't turn 25 until tomorrow, he isn't past his prime and trading for him wouldn't be a sign of good for two years and suck for ten.

Even if the team had to go through a rebuild at some point, which we will everyone does eventually, it wouldn't be a ten year project, maybe not even half that considering, like you said, Vegas should be a destination for free agents and is likely high up on players lists if they do have some say in where they would be traded to.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Players may have to balance cap space and/or roster count.

But any picks would be conditional (and it has been said that Buffalo is prepared/accepting that possibility). Based on # of games Eichel played, and perhaps production/team advancement (IOW team makes SCF in next three years or something).

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I'm not slam dunk sold on it either but you ought to see what many other teams have in their cupboard if you think ours is going to keep us where we are, especially with our lack of proven success developing even NHLers let alone stars and the ages of our current big names.

Being very good but not great all the time and doing less in trades was the Ducks model for most of last decade and they have nothing to show for it and needed a rebuild anyway.

Jack Eichel doesn't turn 25 until tomorrow, he isn't past his prime and trading for him wouldn't be a sign of good for two years and suck for ten.

Even if the team had to go through a rebuild at some point, which we will everyone does eventually, it wouldn't be a ten year project, maybe not even half that considering, like you said, Vegas should be a destination for free agents and is likely high up on players lists if they do have some say in where they would be traded to.

I think we can be much more than "very good" for one. Also, I'm watching us struggle now, since we've essentially "given up the farm" in a sense with Stone, Pacioretty and Tuch out, showing we literally have no offense with a bunch of plugs in the lineup. Having Eichel and a bunch of fourth liners won't be different. And without the misfit line we're currently the Silver Knights.

I may be a minority, but I just don't want to break up the whole team for an iffy Eichel, who by the way has failed his physical.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think we can be much more than "very good" for one. Also, I'm watching us struggle now, since we've essentially "given up the farm" in a sense with Stone, Pacioretty and Tuch out, showing we literally have no offense with a bunch of plugs in the lineup. Having Eichel and a bunch of fourth liners won't be different. And without the misfit line we're currently the Silver Knights.

I may be a minority, but I just don't want to break up the whole team for an iffy Eichel, who by the way has failed his physical.

That's grossly overexaggerating what it would take and what we would look like after.

If it were even something as big as Krebs, Tuch, Smith, 2nd and a conditional 1st the team would still look good and the cupboard wouldn't have all been sold off.

Pacioretty-Eichel-Stone
Marchessault-Karlsson-Dadonov
Stephenson-Patrick-Janmark
Carrier-Roy-Kolesar

Howden, Leschyshyn, etc. D and goaltending the same.

That's far from Eichel and a bunch of fourth liners. Even the prospect pool would be far from selling the farm.

F: Dugan, Morozov, Dorofeyev, Brisson, Dean, Elvenes, Hallum
D: Miromanov, Korczak, Cormier, Chayka
G: Thompson, Saville, Vikman
Future draft picks: All except the conditional 1st and 2nd

It's fine not wanting an Eichel trade for one big reason, I'm not sure how I feel about it also, but it wouldn't be crippling to our lineup or force us to ice an Eichel line and bunch of third lines and wouldn't drain all our futures or be selling the farm.

Last edited:

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
^That package would be fine if you knew you were getting a healthy Eichel for the entirety of the contract. But if he's not going to be the Jack Eichel you're expecting it is in my opinion a franchise crippling move.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Krebs + Smith + 2022 1st + 2023 1st and 2022 2nd.

They'd probably miss the playoffs if they moved Smith right now.

At least 2 of the assets the Sabres receive should be conditional based on Eichel's health, and if Vegas gives up Krebs the Sabres should give conditional picks in return in case Jack never makes a full recovery.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
That's grossly overexaggerating what it would take and what we would look like after.

If it were even something as big as Krebs, Tuch, Smith, 2nd and a conditional 1st the team would still look good and the cupboard wouldn't have all been sold off.

Pacioretty-Eichel-Stone
Marchessault-Karlsson-Dadonov
Stephenson-Patrick-Janmark
Carrier-Roy-Kolesar

Howden, Leschyshyn, etc. D and goaltending the same.

That's far from Eichel and a bunch of fourth liners. Even the prospect pool would be far from selling the farm.

F: Dugan, Morozov, Dorofeyev, Brisson, Dean, Elvenes, Hallum
D: Miromanov, Korczak, Cormier, Chayka
G: Thompson, Saville, Vikman
Future draft picks: All except the conditional 1st and 2nd

It's fine not wanting an Eichel trade for one big reason, I'm not sure how I feel about it also, but it wouldn't be crippling to our lineup or force us to ice an Eichel line and bunch of third lines and wouldn't drain all our futures or be selling the farm.

Those third and fourth lines are pathetic for a contending team.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Of course they are. Tuch, Patches, Stone out, what do you expect to see?

I was responding to poster who said we would be just fine if we sent Smith, Tuch, Krebs and about 3 years of draft picks for Eichel. Of course we would not be.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I was responding to poster who said we would be just fine if we sent Smith, Tuch, Krebs and about 3 years of draft picks for Eichel. Of course we would not be.

Oh yeah, that would be laughably stupid.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If they keep Tuch, this could be the 2022-23 lineup:

Patches Eichel Stone
Marchy WB Tuch
Stephenson Patrick Roy
------no prospects allowed past this point-----
notCarrier Leschyshyn KeeganCoghlan

Martinez Pietrangelo
Theodore Whitecloud
Hague Miro
RealCoghlan

Tuch would slot in nicely in Smitty's place IMO.

edit: might not be enough money for Hague with this lineup.

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

That is a very good bottom six for a contending team, the same level what we've had our whole history while we have been contending. Actually better than a few we've rolled into the playoffs with. And none of it rules out more moves for a veteran third line Cup chaser because, as was said before, Vegas is a destination.

Also, a conditional 1st and 2nd is not 3 years of draft picks. But I see now how disingenuous you are, so it's fine.

Last edited:

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
That is a very good bottom six for a contending team, the same level what we've had our whole history while we have been contending. Actually better than a few we've rolled into the playoffs with. And none of it rules out more moves for a veteran third line Cup chaser because, as was said before, Vegas is a destination.

Also, a conditional 1st and 2nd is not 3 years of draft picks. But I see now how disingenuous you are, so it's fine.

Not disingenuous, just not really in favor of giving up so much for Eichel.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019

Theo is under contract for about 3 more years at slightly over $5M - the Athletic rates it the third best contract in the whole NHL. Love the Whitecloud deal, but he's a whole different type of D-man, for me this makes little sense.

Besides, any good player makes "an attractive piece".

I'd be glad to give them Lehner, but maybe he's not quite as "attractive".

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If this team trades Theodore for Eichel, i am going to lose it to the point where i will drive over to wherever Mcrimmon is right now and smack him in the face so hard that the smack will launch him into outer space.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I don't see Theo being the main piece.. Sabres have Dahlin and Power as their future... no need to want Theo too... Sabres will target something else as a main piece

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I would be fine with Brisson+Hague+Elvenes+a million conditional picks for Eakin

If they keep Tuch, this could be the 2022-23 lineup:

Patches Eichel Stone
Marchy WB Tuch
Stephenson Patrick Roy
------no prospects allowed past this point-----
notCarrier Leschyshyn KeeganCoghlan

Martinez Pietrangelo
Theodore Whitecloud
Hague Miro
RealCoghlan

Tuch would slot in nicely in Smitty's place IMO.

edit: might not be enough money for Hague with this lineup.

I mean...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad