Friedman: Edmonton was close to a "big" trade on Wedneday involving a goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I wouldn't be surprised to see Montreal act as a 3d party to Edmonton getting a goalie, a bit like they did in the Karlsson to PIT deal, taking on a bad contract, maybe adding some depth to Edmonton, maybe sending Allen to whoever gave up a goalie if their younger guys aren't quite ready.

Campbell is going to get bought out, and that contract is untradable. The cost to move it would be so high as to make the whole required chain of events pointless.

Norlinder is too green to be of any use to Edmonton, and Harris isn't that far ahead.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
1- oilers need a #1, and montembeault is not a #1

2- harris/norlinder dont have a pretty good value

3- this trade just look like a cap dump for edmonton without any real upgrade
Just to note .You don't get an upgade for a cap dump.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
You were claiming that Habs fans (plural) were asking for multiple firsts for Monty...THAT is trolling since it was complete fabrication. Admit it and we will forgive you. Just move on.
One Hab fan was asking for two first round picks in this thread. Honestly, you guys do an awful job of policing your lunatics when they wander off the Habs forum.

Last edited:

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
The one gaping whole that the Oilers have had, and that the entire league and it's fans have known for decades, is bottom tier goaltending. I can't remember if they've ever had a top 10 goalie aside from Bill Ranford in the '90 cup win. Fuhr is a legend, but let's face it, the team in front of him is a significant reason he's an HOF goalie, as his average GAA in his 11 years in Edmonton, is over 3.75/game.

This could've came to an end in 2021, draft day. Edmonton had pick #20 and the fans were actually hoping for Cossa, as Jesper Wellstadt was projected to go top 10. Cossa get's snagged by Detroit.....damn......but what do you know, the hockey gods blessed them yet again, as after Nashville's 19th pick..my god, Jesper freaking Wellstadt is still available! Wow, Oilers hit the jackpot again, they're going to get exactly what they've needed for their entire NHL existence, a possible future top tier goaltender!
30 seconds later: Bettman: 'We have a trade to announce. Ken Holland is going hard on the pipe and has traded the 20th pick to Minnesota for the 22nd pick'. WTF?!
Who did they pick? Xavier Bourgault. Decent prospect, but that's it

How's Jesper doing? His first year as pro, played the most games for Iowa, a winning record with a solid 2.68 GAA and .908%. Pretty good for a 20 yr old prospect that just came from Sweden. Now his 2nd year as pro? So far he's top 7 in the AHL in GAA (2.14) and top 6 in save % (.928). And he's 21 years old. That is so young for a goalie to be playing 2nd year pro and with those numbers, as the starting goaltender. He's exactly what Edmonton needs

Ken Holland has blundered a plethora of assets for the Oilers, but to me, this one is by far the worst one. Basically gifted, as impossibly and improbably, but still fell right into Holland's lap, the key his team needs. And he gave it away, just to acquire another small forward and a later pick.
McJesus Christ. One has to be completely out of his mind to pull this crap

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I actually like the idea of Mrazek and Perry. Both are something that can IMPROVE us.

No one is saying get Mrazek and win the Cup... no one. However, here is his career save percentage and season save percentage

View attachment 772676

The point of the trade would be to ditch Campbell. Mrazek has one year left. It makes sense. Even when he goes on LTIR with his next injury. In the meantime, Mrazek/Skinner is a perfectly acceptable middle of the pack tandem. Not elite, not winning a cup but righting the ship!

Perry may have some intangibles that are useful. He's a prick, he knows how to win and I imagine he wouldn't be afraid to speak up in that change room.

A .905 goalie is exactly what the Oilers need to stablize. Getting rid of Campbell is exactly what the Oilers need. Tbh.. I think Pickard has been better than Skinner and I'd go him and Mrazek for now.

But NO one is saying Mrazek is a god or this it the key to winning the cup. It's an improvement over this though:

View attachment 772678

And Campbell would be gone. Even a Mrazek buyout would be much cheaper.

I don't think it will happen personally. No idea what Chicago wants in return but Mrazek should be cheap.

I do find it funny that Montebeult is being listed as first round picks while Mrazek is a total junk goalie on here...

Here is Monty's career and season

View attachment 772679

One is, according to HF, worth several first rounders and the other is not.lol

The overrating of Monty and the ask is just Habs fans doing Habs things. Reminds me of when they tried to get a 1st for a rapidly declining and broken Edmundson, and thought they could get a 1st for a mentally shattered and grossly overpaid Price.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Lol. Evaluating goaltenders by nothing but save percentage. Good job
Which stats do you use? How do these stats look when comparing Mrazek to Campbell and Skinner?

1700942782760.png

vs Skinner

1700942820385.png

It's not even close and that's after a Skinner shutout and Mrazek getting his doors blown off earlier this week.

But I'd love to know what you use?

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
The overrating of Monty and the ask is just Habs fans doing Habs things. Reminds me of when they tried to get a 1st for a rapidly declining and broken Edmundson, and thought they could get a 1st for a mentally shattered and grossly overpaid Price.
Ya and the hater just keep pitching in.. Still remember how Chiarot would only get at best a 3rd.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl

Ilya Sorokin​

is the best goalie in hockey, so whats is the problem, go get this guy, he is a number one. I am sure you can get him for a 2nd round pick RIGHT

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Montembault doesn't seem like a win now goalie candidate

I'm convinced tho that every goalie looks bad in Edmonton. The teams commitment to D just isn't there. If they all committed to play a D first game, then the tending would improve dramatically. Until then, seems like they got a ton of O only guys tho.

Looking at the roster, players with some value = Hyman drai mcd rnh maybe Kane and that's about it, eckholm but of these guys, u don't want to move any, maybe Evander has worn out his welcome tho?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Have you watched the Sharks at all? They are the worst defensive team in the league by far and Blackwood has been playing at another level. I stand by my trade idea.
Like Mrazek, Blackwood has that issue upstairs. When the pressure is on, it gets real interesting with both guys. Both always play well when nobody cares.

By far, with everything being equal, and the obvious cap concerns, Reimer is the smartest move. Assuming both Detroit AND Reimer agree to an Edmonton trade.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Lol the Coilers need a couple d men and a real goalie. And sone buy in from their selfish stars.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I know I loved the guy who said Mete and a 1 for Sergachev is great for TBL since they were cap strung.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Exactly, the GM’s are like vultures in the NHL.

Three 1st round picks and a blue chip prospect is the starting of that conversation.

Saros will never agree to go to Edmonton on top of that. Never.
Saros has no say… he doesn’t have a nmc
Plus why wouldn’t he? Play with mcDavid and his old friend ekholm? Maybe win a cup?

And yes as a preds fan I want a big return but he’s well worth it too. Those firsts from a team like Edmonton wouldn’t be very high either.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
Friedman has gotten pretty sad with these things he makes up to get hits. Giant loser who lies every day for money.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
We are entitled to disagree and I get your points for sure. On point 2, no I'm not saying Campbell has been injured, he just hasn't been the guy they needed him to. His career has been hit by time off in some seasons and it was a huge risk to sign him long term. I think he still has the ability to be an OK goalie but has a) been so bad in Edmonton and b) is on a big salary.

On EK, they may have not wanted to retain but knew it was in their interest to. This is different because Campbell could be bought out either this summer or next with a smaller cap hit. A team like SJ would be stupid to dismiss the idea of taking Campbell if the return was decent. A 1st (or prospect) + something else + Campbell for Blackwood deal would be an interesting proposition.

If Campbell bounced back they have a serviceable goalie. If he didn't, they could buy him out next summer or the summer after without negatively impacting their rebuild. They currently have $8.5m being spent on players not on their roster, with plenty coming off in the next 2 years, so the cap hit wouldn't be too much of a problem buying out.

The Oilers won't be able to get rid of Campbell for nothing but I very much doubt the cost being mentioned on here would happen, it'd be somewhere in between.

Just my opinion though.
Always appreciate reasoned discussion! ;o)

IMO - not every team has an unlimited budget to take on bad contracts. Sharks have definitely been a cap team, but I've gotten the impression that they don't want to have a bunch of dead money on the books. Just my impression though - maybe a SJ poster can provide more insight.

On the cost to move Campbell - I actually liked him in TOR. With that said - "what have you done for me lately" has his value about as big a negative as it can be. You have a guy who can't be played at the NHL level, signed for term, at a starter cap hit. I don't see anything with Campbell's situation that would give him value to offset the contract. I definitely think the cost to do so is more than the typical "late 1st round DP" to get it done - but we'll see.

As a NHL fan - hope the Oilers get this shyte straight because the league is better with it's elite players on contending teams.

Reactions: Iwishihadaspacebar

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
You speak for all the Habs fan on HF? Maybe go look at the thread instead of insulting me.
I don't, but it seems like you can based on maybe one post ! LOL
There isn't a single Habs fan asking for 3 1st in that thread lol.
The only time I saw a post hinting at that (not in that thread mind you), it wasn't a Habs fan, it was a trolling attempt, doing the same thing you are doing now: bashing on a fanbase. That's why I was suggesting you lack trolling comprehension.

Also, when someone includes several 1sts in their proposals, it's because they are taking that Campbell monstruous capdump. So no, I am comfortable saying NO Habs fan think Monty is worth 3 1sts, WTF !

No one will police the less realists of us, this is a discussion board, you should simply ignore them and not judge the entire fan base based on those statistical exceptions within a huge fanbase.

We'll wait for those quotes in the meantime. There should be plenty according to your saying.

Last edited:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Saros has no say… he doesn’t have a nmc
Plus why wouldn’t he? Play with mcDavid and his old friend ekholm? Maybe win a cup?

And yes as a preds fan I want a big return but he’s well worth it too. Those firsts from a team like Edmonton wouldn’t be very high either.

Well.. right now they would be.

One assumes with a legit #1 in net to cover up defensive gaffes the Oilers 1st round pick would be a lot later than it is currently. So point taken.

What is Nashville trying to do? Full rebuild? Mini rebuild? No rebuild and just shine it on until they catch lightning in a bottle? I don't know the direction of the Preds so I am hoping their fans can clue me in.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Montembault doesn't seem like a win now goalie candidate

I'm convinced tho that every goalie looks bad in Edmonton. The teams commitment to D just isn't there. If they all committed to play a D first game, then the tending would improve dramatically. Until then, seems like they got a ton of O only guys tho.

Looking at the roster, players with some value = Hyman drai mcd rnh maybe Kane and that's about it, eckholm but of these guys, u don't want to move any, maybe Evander has worn out his welcome tho?
Montembeault probably average starting goalie in league. But league minimum contract also. To get better netminder requires making another trade. All top goalie more than 5m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad