Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread 2015: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I thought overall the D played a pretty decent game. They pounded the crap out of Nichols in the first half. But unlike your prediction, he didn't wilt like a wallflower, and they changed the scheme up in the 2nd half and went with a 3 man rush. I think they should have kept the heat on, and I think they were a bit gun shy when Nichols didn't fold. I 'm going to give him some credit, with his willingness to stand in there and take some serious abuse today, and then make some really great throws against the supposed best defence in the league.

Reilly on the other hand, had several plays where he all kinds of time, couldn't locate anyone, and either tucked the ball and ran with it, took a sack, or tossed it up or grabs. Again, I don't think McAdoo's system is doing anyone any favours, but for a veteran QB, he really needs to do a better job. Good thing for him and the Esks that Hallelujiah was off.

C'mon. The Esks D didn't make hardly any plays in the entire 2nd half and in the first half benefitted from half a dozen dropped passes.

obviously they should have kept the heat on. Make Nichols deal with the pressure the way Reilly had to all game.

Sure Nichols hung in there and played reasonably well. Where was that performance as an Eskimo? That's what gets me. Nichols putting everything on the line running the ball, evading tacklers etc. Wasn't doing any of that in Edmonton.

But the Esks D looked to be in a prevent hanging back set for all of the 2nd half. Why would any team play Nichols that way. Its exactly how not to play him. Even when the Esks got in the backfield their tacking was pathetic. I've never seen Nichols evade pressure like this for years. The D was bad today, real bad. Factor in all the FG misses and the D gave up a lot of points and real estate today to a very bad offense.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
C'mon. The Esks didn't make hardly any plays in the entire 2nd half and in the first half benefitted from half a dozen dropped passes.

obviously they should have kept the heat on. Make Nichols deal with the pressure the way Reilly had to all game.

Sure Nichols hung in there and played reasonably well. Where was that performance as an Eskimo? That's what gets me. Nichols putting everything on the line running the ball, evading tacklers etc. Wasn't doing any of that in Edmonton.
They gift wrapped two field goals that should have been toughdowns in the first half, and had Nichols running for his life, when he wasn't getting crushed. Bombers moved the ball better in the 2nd half, but that was more likely due to the fact that they went with a 3 man rush.
I don't care what Nichols did as an Eskimo. He isn't anymore. He is now an opposing teams QB. And if you ask any QB which defence he's rather be playing against, Winnipeg's or Edmonton's, that should take about 1/2 a second to answer. He had by far the tougher task today, and outplayed Reilly. That is a fact. Reilly threw 2 terrible interceptions today that he should have either eaten or thrown away. And I am not a Nichols fan. But I'll give the man his due today. With a different game plan and scheme, he actually looked competent, especially in the crunch time, the 2nd half. His kicker let him and his team down in a huge way. We needed a monster miracle kick to win.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
They gift wrapped two field goals that should have been toughdowns in the first half, and had Nichols running for his life, when he wasn't getting crushed. Bombers moved the ball better in the 2nd half, but that was more likely due to the fact that they went with a 3 man rush.
I don't care what Nichols did as an Eskimo. He isn't anymore. He is now an opposing teams QB. And if you ask any QB which defence he's rather be playing against, Winnipeg's or Edmonton's, that should take about 1/2 a second to answer. He had by far the tougher task today, and outplayed Reilly. That is a fact. Reilly threw 2 terrible interceptions today that he should have either eaten or thrown away. And I am not a Nichols fan. But I'll give the man his due today. His kicker let him and his team down in a huge way. We needed a monster miracle kick to win.

Just saying the D schemes were ****** today. The Esks took it easy on Nichols. Totally called off the dogs in the 2nd half and barely laid a hand on Nichols in 2nd half.

WE had 3 man rush entire second half and STILL managed to have brutal coverage laying off every receiver. Explain that. Nichols was hitting strikes where no Esk was even around. This was weak coverage all over the field.

Nichols passed for 320yds today, an awful lot, and was carving the Esks D. The Esks D is good, but they sure weren't today giving the bombers way more offense than they normally get. Bombers had 360yds offense. Add another 200 on kick returns and no wonder the Esks offense were looking at long fields all day. Lets not forget Nichols got to see short fields several times in the game.

We lost two sides of the game today and Reilly still found a way to bag a Win. Guys a warrior, and I'd have him in battle any time.

ftr the Esks with over 400yds offense today. Not a bad thing.

ps the Esks D today dropped 3, count em, 3 interceptions. It was just that kind of day. Wasn't like Nichols wasn't throwing up some desperation today. The completion to Denmark for instance should never have occurred. Shouldn't even have been allowed to get the ball away.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Sean Whyte won us the game today.

And if you want to look at it from a Bomber persepctive, Hallelujah lost it for them.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Does anyone have video of the PI call? I was in the car when it happened.

I tried watching the TSN highlights for it, but predictably they didn't show it. Wouldn't want to diminish the shill job on the junk product that they have exclusive broadcast rights to.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The onfield officials DIDN'T call that PI. Some doofus in Toronto in a Ricky Ray jersey, probably Rod Blacks nephew, did...

I'm guessing here, go with it. :laugh:

jk man the D was awful today. Looks like they took the week off. Special teams as well. For once the offense is the only unit that prevailed although pretty much Reilly on his own. The offensive line, an entirely healthy offensive line, was beyond putrid. The bombers were being allowed to reset the line of scrimmage so severely in this one I'm surprised they weren't getting the snaps.. Was this no contact O line today. Man, Reilly was contending with multiple rush on nearly every play.

fair enough

still the worst PI call I've ever seen...it makes the clownshow "command centre" look even worse...huge blackeye on the league

thankfully karma won out the Esks got the job done or there'd be more of an uprising

and maybe I'm wrong but I didn't think coaches challenges were allowed in the final 3 minutes

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
fair enough

still the worst PI call I've ever seen...it makes the clownshow "command centre" look even worse...huge blackeye on the league

thankfully karma won out the Esks got the job done or there'd be more of an uprising

and maybe I'm wrong but I didn't think coaches challenges were allowed in the final 3 minutes

What irony that the CFL brings in the review to improve officiating in their product except it results in consistently wrong calls. Shouldn't the war room have the most competent people in it?

its a joke that they can take all kinds of time to look at all kinds of replays and come up with such inane calls.

its to the point that I even question that the goal is to get the correct calls. The goal seems to be even up scorelines. Create more drama, keep games close, and make the broadcast last as long as possible for advertising revenue.

Somebody should run some stats on how often the worst clubs are getting the favorable challenge calls. ftr the Esks didn't get a challenge call go their way yet until this game, which was ironically recalled by the PI.

Still, the CFL will be saying. "Hey, we made one call in your favor Esks" ;):sarcasm:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
cheers.

not gonna argue with you. I respect your opinion. We'll just call it a day.

Frustrating game for sure.

have a good weekend sir

edit to edit. Halleluiah! ;)

Same, cheers!

Does anyone out there know what PI or roughing the passer constitutes anymore? Because I know the league doesn't. They taken a useless officiating group and confused them even more by tweaking the rules this year.

At least they got those 2 field goal calls that hit the uprights correct.

@Robin_Brownlee: Everybody at @CFL command should have to watch the play they called the Eskimos for PI on 5,000 times. Laughable make-up call. Bush league.

Someone should be out of a job tomorrow.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
I actually thought that Willis got there a split second early.

Just sayin'.

Besides, the real focus here should be on Mike Reilly's inability to run a hurry-up offence. One of the worst displays I've ever seen.

I think he executed 4 plays in 1:18.

That is terrible.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Just sayin'.

Besides, the real focus here should be on Mike Reilly's inability to run a hurry-up offence. One of the worst displays I've ever seen.

That is terrible.

Sure it is. But those were some real hometowner clock starts. Teams weren't allowed time to get back in position.

That and the crowd was really loud and Reilly couldn't call anything.

That said the bench was asleep as usual. We had time outs left. Didn't use them for whatever reason. We burned one on the Bombers FG attempt. That's the only one I recall.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Just sayin'.

That is terrible.

It was very close. And if it is close, and not definitive, my understanding is that you then go with the ruling on the field.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
... and that ridiculous display on the last drive wouldn't have been necessary if Reilly wouldn't have thrown a stupid pick on the second last drive with two minutes left.

When you get outplayed by Nichols, that's a tell.

It's time for Franklin to be taking over from Reilly. Reilly's deserved to be pulled the last three games.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Sure it is. But those were some real hometowner clock starts. Teams weren't allowed time to get back in position.

That and the crowd was really loud and Reilly couldn't call anything.

That said the bench was asleep as usual. We had time outs left. Didn't use them for whatever reason. We burned one on the Bombers FG attempt. That's the only one I recall.

Then you run up to the line and get moving.

He had enough time to execute about 10 plays.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
... and that ridiculous display on the last drive wouldn't have been necessary if Reilly wouldn't have thrown a stupid pick on the second last drive with two minutes left.

When you get outplayed by Nichols, that's a tell.

It's time for Franklin to be taking over from Reilly. Reilly's deserved to be pulled the last three games.

I agree. Just for a couple plays or a series. It's not like we're not going to gain a bunch of field position or miss out on scoring. lol. Give Reilly a chance to settle down, take a look and reboot. And I don't mean Jordan Lynch and the running playbook. Franklin should get a few plays.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Then you run up to the line and get moving.

He had enough time to execute about 10 plays.

I'm not absolving him. I was literally screaming at the TV at that point. It was bad as you say. But there was confusion on the bench, as usual, and getting the calls off with the crowd noise. The team should be better prepped for these situations and have a more obvious package in these situations. KISS approach in the time management quick huddle works best. jmo

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I'm loving watching the Orange Crush the Riders, especially after a couple of idiots on Riderfans were chirping that their team is much better than the Esks and the Bombers.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
fair enough

it wasn't the worst call i've ever seen, not by a long shot.... however, it is likely the worst one i've seen where the command center made the call

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm not absolving him. I was literally screaming at the TV at that point. It was bad as you say. But there was confusion on the bench, as usual, and getting the calls off with the crowd noise. The team should be better prepped for these situations and have a more obvious package in these situations. KISS approach in the time management quick huddle works best. jmo

jones, as per usual, made a stupid game decision to use the timeout on the FG attempt.... if he keeps it, we get off at least 2 more plays

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
How perfect is this. Sean Whyte kicks an incredible pressure filled game winning 53 yard field goal yesterday, and today, the feature player on the Esks site is the guy he replaced, Grant Shaw.:handclap:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm loving watching the Orange Crush the Riders, especially after a couple of idiots on Riderfans were chirping that their team is much better than the Esks and the Bombers.

Lions are going to be an absolute handfull for us in two weeks. Jennings looks like the real deal, and they'll have the Eskimo-killer Harris back.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
jones, as per usual, made a stupid game decision to use the timeout on the FG attempt.... if he keeps it, we get off at least 2 more plays

Time honored and used play when a kicker is setting up for a crucial kick. The guys head was messed up and they tried to mess with it some more. I didn't see a problem with it. My problem was the terrible clock management of Reilly with over a minute to go. Got away with it this time.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Shame the other new stadiums weren't built more similarly to Winnipeg's.

You mean a stadium with terrible access to that takes around an hour to get to before attending a game. Yeah, I don't wish more Stadiums were built like this..

Went to Winnipeg last season. Was going to attend a preseason game just for the ***** and giggles of going to a game. Unfortunately Winnipeg traffic at rush hour is generally nuts. The routes to the stadium are poorly marked, the stadium is situated inconveniently from Central Winnipeg, and theres very limited access in and out of the stadium. We took around an hour trying to find the damn thing, sitting in traffic and then just decided screw it.

I should mention as well that unlike Commonwealth, where park and ride is masterfully executed the busses trying to get anywhere near Investors field were screwed as well.

If it takes over an hour to get to a game and over an hour to get back theres no way I'd even be going. The location of Canadinns stadium was really central and easy to get to.

Winnipeg is moving in a completely different direction by building a stadium farther away from the central core. Few other cities are building Stadiums or Arenas farther away.

Additionally theres been a ton of problems with insulation, water leakage, drainage issues, poor concrete pours and lawsuits occurring around the countless problems in the build. This being easily as much of a boondoggle as Edmontons Nait Line.

The absolute worst thing is Manitoba and Winnipeg tax payers being on the hook for 200M and growing debt to build this stadium. With an added 5M since the Stadium was finished 1 year late repairing some of the defects of the stadium.

This is Winnipegs version of the big owe.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/07/21/investors-group-fields-debt-continues-to-grow

In practical terms virtually everything about this stadium is wrong. Location wrong, funding wrong, build wrong, CRL levy wrong. Just a disastrous undertaking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad