Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread 2015: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Continue here.

Some posts:

I'm defending the fact I just don't think Franklin would do much better starting all the games him sitting and watching will help him in the future. Nichols put us in a hole yes but that could've easily happened with Franklin as well. Franklin probably starts next game and hopefully the team shows up with him or it will be much of the same

Haha part timer. Good one
If you can handle a couple of whippings by the hands of the Stamps then good for you. I'll be doing something more productive with my time on those days :nod:

Nothing left to see from Nichols, he's hot garbage and it's time to move on from him. Franklin will make mistakes but he oozes talent so they have to start letting him show what he can do with the bulk of the first team reps.

They are a good club and IMO, easily the best team in the league. The result tonight didn't surprise me in the least. I watched the Lions lose to Montreal last night and all I could think about was that they beat the Eskimos. I thought the Eskimos dependence on their defense was going to catch up to them. Hamiltons defense is just as good and their offense can score in bunches. I couldn't see how they were going to be able to stay in this game if Nichols was awful early as he usually is. When he threw that pick on the opening drive that set up Hamiltons first touchdown things just snowballed from there. The entire team knew what kind of night it was going to be and just quit. You have to be willfully ignorant not to see that and acknowledge it.

I think Nichols has to be done now. Hate to say it, seeing as he looked so good in 2012 before the injury. But for whatever reason, the team just doesn't respond to him anymore, and his play during the first half is a large reason for why we got hammered tonight.

thats cause Nichols isn't a leader...and never will be

this game isn't on him solely, but he started the downhill trend by throwing a pick on the very first drive

but fumbles, dropped balls and poor D cost us the game...implosion at all levels

If Franklin doesn't start next game, Jones' coaching security should be called into question.

Also, his defense got exposed as an overrated fraud tonight.

I guess nobody understands the subject of grooming a young QB so they are ready.. Franklin has learnt a lot watching from the sidelines and he could obviously still benefit from more. Time to throw him into the fire now though

They got smoked and I don't wanna blame one player but ffs Nichols needs to go. :help:

Seems like all his interceptions are total killers too.. either deep in the Esks' or opposition's territory and/or early in the game. Tonight it was his 4th pass attempt, last week his 2nd and 4th were picked off. The game before that (in BC) the defense stopped the Lions at the goal line and Nichols immediately threw an interception. Garbage.

I agree with what you're saying on principle and I thought Nichols should have been the starter because of it up until the BC game. That's when it became clear to me that he wasn't improving and it was beginning to hurt the team. He's lost this team now and you can see the difference in the energy level when Franklin plays. Not ideal to be starting Franklin but unless Hervey goes out and finds somebody else to lead this team I think you're doing more damage by not starting him. If he fails, what difference does it make anymore? You're not going to win with Nichols anymore, the team has stopped playing for him. I think he's ready to get a shot now.

Our next 4 games we play Toronto, Calgary, Calgary and then Hamilton again.

If Nichols starts these games I believe we have a 1% chance to win any of them.

If Franklin starts, I think it goes up to about a 6% chance.

We cannot win against good teams with Nichols, that is clear.

That is your opinion, and it isn't a fact.

Although I tend to agree with the bolded in isolation..;)

A couple relevant posts I made pregame. Made because theres been ongoing statements all season to the effect that this untried club is better than it is.

In reality, as I've alleged all season, the Esks have had an easy schedule, some fortune, and have been carried by the D and have two of their wins due to Franklin saving games. Just last week I was stating this D would not be able to carry the team all year and no D is. It doesn't take too long for a club to get demoralized if there are significant problems on one side of the ball. The offense has been putrid. Self destructing, not contributing much EXCEPT when Franklin is given the ball. Theres Franklin yesterday in a decided game pounding yards, throwing darts to opposing recievers, dealing with the same pressure Nichols had dealt with except MOVING yardsticks.

This is Franklins team for this stretch of tough games. It has to be. Nichols is done and contributing nothing, not even composure, and has unravelled quickly in games in at least the last 3 outings. All of which would be losses without heroic performances from the D.

Oh, we're now 0-2 against the good clubs in this league. We've looked confused and distraught in both of those games.

Some other looks. Walker continues to be a godsend. Man what a go to guy this has been and a relevation. Could you imagine watching the last couple games without this guy? KUDOS to Stoneman for spotting this guy in preseason. Good eyes.

Other side of that is Franklin. Kid has amazing composure. I wish he was seeing Reilly now instead of Nichols. Franklin rallied the team at halftime in the dressing room. This kid wants to be here, wants to be excelling here, and wants a big role here. The game unfortunately was decided by the time he got into the battle. But FRanklins ability to read and check down is bloody amazing. He looks off recievers and finds others so quick my jaw dropped 5 times. He did this on a wide open TD toss and found the open guy immediately after having other look offs. Franklin is so sharp this almost goes unnoticed. Also need to credit that he is fooling defenders with his looks unlike Nichols who telegraphs everything. Do people honestly think Franklin is learning from Nichols? He's superior QB in everyway.

Watson, best game as an Eskimo.

Some more problems;

Bell; Not carrying the mail well. I have a lot of trouble with RB that handle the ball like he does. Sure he fights for yards. He's a liability the way he handles the ball and doesn't secure it well. Responsible for another two fumbles yesterday and its becoming a pattern.

Stafford. Mixed feelings about this guy. The most likely receiver to give up on a route when a ball is overthrown. Again yesterday we see a pick on a ball going Staffords way which is happening too much for my liking. He basically watched an interception after breaking a pattern because he felt the ball was long. Unfortunately continued stride could have resulted in him at least battling for the ball. Coaching staff were screaming at him after one series. The guy is a bit of a headcase and a lot of a project. Surely has talent, but needs to develop a different disposition and battle on every down. Right now Walker is basically showing him up.

Bowman; good thing is you won't see a game like this out of him much anymore. I chalk it up to coming back from injury as well. He was not his usual tank self and had some off moments probably due to pain.

But Bowman, Walker, are the best 1,2 we have had in years. Hopefully Stafford can get his act in gear and be consistent. If Watson can play with this intensity we have some improved receiver core.

I've been saying it all Season Matt Nichols is trash.

the entire team forgot how to play football but it starts at the pivot. He's garbage. I can't believe some people were suggesting Nichols was better in some regards compared to Reilly.

And people calling for Jones head should really get the **** out. Ridiculous.

Pigheadedness is not a good trait for a coach. He keeps going to the Nichols well expecting water. His defense is pretty good (save for this game) but you can't win if your QB doesn't perform. More often than not, and this was true last year as well, the defense was relied upon to win. Last week was a prime example. Either go out and get a QB or make better offensive decisions.

How sad is it that Calgary's backup QB is better than anything we have.

Brutal game. I can't remember the last time I wanted to leave at halftime.

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and prep for Toronto. This year is better than that. Everyone but Walker was bad ranging to horrible.

I'm definitely not a Nichols supporter but I don't think you can blame this loss solely on the offence.

Yes, that first interception help set the tone, but so did the fact that the D just couldn't make a stop. They got picked apart all night.

Obviously Nichols just isn't getting it done but last night the entire lineup sucked.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Nicholls with another awful game. It's becoming clear he can't manage a game very well at this point. A large portion of the blame has to fall on the running back with a couple of key fumbles.

Edmonton did manage to move the ball well, nearly 500 yards total offense in fact, so I wouldn't say the Eskies are the only team with an over-rated defense. With Reilly in there, I can see the team cleaning up some of their mistakes, giving up at least a couple fewer tds and scoring another 10 - 17 points. These teams are more evenly matched with Reilly at the controls then some would care to admit.

Earlier in the thread someone said cup contending teams don't get blown out by other teams, cup contenders or otherwise. Well, a quick glance at the 1978 Edmonton Eskimos shows that is not the case as they were stomped by the BC Lions that year not once, but twice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_Edmonton_Eskimos_season

15 - 3
33 - 11

BC was a non-playoff team that year by the way. So relax, it's a long season. There will be disappointments, some crushing defeats, but in the end it will either be Edmonton or Calgary representing the West in the Grey Cup. If that game is cold, which it probably will be, the West will win.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Yes, anyone who thinks a team that gets trounced like that has no chance of winning the Grey Cup either hasn't been around a lot or has a poor memory. I've seen teams have disastrous early seasons and turn it around to win it all. Hen Reilly is back at the helm and we get Rottier and Wojt back, with that defence anything can happen. Hamilton does look unbeatable but who knows.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Argos have added Corey Greenwood and Swayze Waters for tomorrow's game. Not good for us, their next opponent.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Esks picked a bad time for the D to lay a stinker. If the offence can at least put up some points, they could have turned it into a shootout at worst, but that was never happening the way NIchols was playing and the team was playing for him. And for me, that is the key to getting Franklin in a lot more. Say what you will about his lack of experience and need to watch more and learn more. This team plays better and harder for him, and seems far more in sync with him behind centre. Just a better fit, physically.

Last thing.

Dareyl Walker - Texas Ranger.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Is the media turning on their golden boy so quickly? Nichols didn't magically get worse overnight. He's always been bad. Unfortunately, the defense this game was bad as well. The media and the so-called experts should have the courage of their convictions and demand that Nichols start next game.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Is the media turning on their golden boy so quickly? Nichols didn't magically get worse overnight. He's always been bad. Unfortunately, the defense this game was bad as well. The media and the so-called experts should have the courage of their convictions and demand that Nichols start next game.

One of them already has.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/08/22/eskimos-would-be-better-off-with-franklin-at-qb

One thing I'll say about Jones, like him or not, when he speaks, **** usually happens.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
630CHED ‏@630CHED 2m2 minutes ago

#Esks announce QB James Franklin suffered a lung contusion Fri vs Ham. His status will be evaluated this week. Esks host Argos on Friday

**** this season.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
630CHED ‏@630CHED 2m2 minutes ago

#Esks announce QB James Franklin suffered a lung contusion Fri vs Ham. His status will be evaluated this week. Esks host Argos on Friday

**** this season.
What the hell is a lung contusion and how hard to you have to get hit to get one?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
According to the rest of the article, he's fine now and will suit up and be available for the Argos game. Once Matty Ice gets them in a big enough hole first though, as usual.:D

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

For whatever reason some of the media thought he was owed the chance. I just don't get it though. What other team in the CFL or NFL plays a Qb that has clearly been out played by another? It's not like Nichols was never given a chance to play either. He has played, but there is someone that is showing better. Until Franklin starts to fails there is no reason for Nichols to play. In a short season like football has you have to play your best option.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
They are beyond the point where something has to be done. This coaching staff and management are looking stupid with the amount of turnovers our offence is giving up. Sure it's up to the players on the field but when the team is consistently giving up more picks and fumbles it's the job of the guys upstairs to change things up either in personnel or getting the players to improve and focus on not turning over the ball. You might also want to rethink the third down gambles in our end of the field.

Make no mistake, members of the media were calling this a potential Grey cup preview but it's pretty clear now that if things dont change the Esks will be lucky to hold on to the 3rd playoff spot.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Anybody else notice attendance was 28K? For a game purportedly being a potential Grey Cup matchup? I wonder how many other fans have vowed not to attend another game as long as sorry ass Nichols is QB. Or watch an org making the kind of game decision mistakes that this one consistently makes.

I think part of the problem is Eskimos fans really don't boo all that much and don't leave their thoughts raining down on the pitch. Instead they try to stay positive, try to cheer the team, and then if dissatisfied just don't show up again for awhile. Its like a consumer that isn't heard but just stops being a consumer of the product.

I'm making my thoughts known. hehe

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
For whatever reason some of the media thought he was owed the chance. I just don't get it though. What other team in the CFL or NFL plays a Qb that has clearly been out played by another? It's not like Nichols was never given a chance to play either. He has played, but there is someone that is showing better. Until Franklin starts to fails there is no reason for Nichols to play. In a short season like football has you have to play your best option.

I am not sure thats it. I think this was more about starting the player with the most experience.

I agreed with it.
I think it was absolutely the right move against Hamilton as well. A loss is better than hurting Franklins development.

This isnt really about Nichols at all for me...Franklin has been my guy from Training Camp but trying to rush his development is not a good idea. Its simply not worth it.

I think he should be given an opportunity to start against Toronto but I wouldn't hesitate to give him a few plays from the sideline if he struggles...which he will.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Good stuff...looking forward to seeing Franklin start.

The team had better be a lot more prepared for this game especially the defence. They were absolutely brutal against the Cats.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I am not sure thats it. I think this was more about starting the player with the most experience.

I agreed with it.
I think it was absolutely the right move against Hamilton as well. A loss is better than hurting Franklins development.

This isnt really about Nichols at all for me...Franklin has been my guy from Training Camp but trying to rush his development is not a good idea. Its simply not worth it.

I think he should be given an opportunity to start against Toronto but I wouldn't hesitate to give him a few plays from the sideline if he struggles...which he will.

I agree totally with this.

I thought and still feel that starting Nichols was the right move, but I now think that Franklin should start. I agree with how the coaches have handled this. Unfortunately, it didn't work out last weekend, but let's see now how Franklin can do.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton

I agreed with it.

This is exactly it, he still does not have the grasp off the offence yet. I was so excited seeing him in the preseason, he has all the tools we just have to be careful with him. So much potential here, its too bad Reilly had to go down so early before Franklin was ready.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This is exactly it, he still does not have the grasp off the offence yet. I was so excited seeing him in the preseason, he has all the tools we just have to be careful with him. So much potential here, its too bad Reilly had to go down so early before Franklin was ready.

Reilly going down early may have been the best thing to happen to Franklin. He'd likely still be wallowing on the practice roster, instead of improving leaps and bounds as he has every week so far.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Speaking of Reilly, anyone know when he is returning.

I don't feel bad for Nichols, he's been given plenty of opportunity to solidify his back up position or a starting position.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Speaking of Reilly, anyone know when he is returning.

I don't feel bad for Nichols, he's been given plenty of opportunity to solidify his back up position or a starting position.

I heard anywhere from another 1-3 more games.

I would have to think they'd love to get him into the games against the Stampeders, but they'll want to be sure first.

We should be getting some other key component back soon too. Not sure of the nature of all of the injuries, other than Wojt(concussion), but Rottier and Chambers have to be getting close.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Reilly is expected back in about three weeks, but he's pushing it in the hope of playing sooner. Rottier is virtually week to week, but not quite ready so maybe a couple of weeks. I don't know about Wojt. The offense will be a lot stronger with those three back, barring more injuries requiring absences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad