Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread 2015: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
BC is a good club. Not sure why the Esks were expected to roll over them. They've had considerable injury trouble and are getting back on form.

Most CFL orgs know that nothing before September really matters. This league is decided in the fall.

Especially considering how poor some clubs are and how few wins a club needs to make the playoffs.

Being better than the Riders and Bombers on the whole is not a stiff assignment in the standings.

Sure wouldn't want to have to call what happens in the playoffs.

B.C. had the #9 ranked defence coming into the game with the Eskimos. They were missing Lulay, Eluminium, were starting their then unknown 3rd string QB who had never started a game and then proceeded to lose Andrew Harris early in the game. They were struggling mightily and there was talk Tedford was going to lose his job. I don't think it's much of a stretch that we would have and should have been heavy favorites going in, and then with them losing Harris, even more so.

They now have Harris back, and Jennings seems to be the real deal, getting better with every game, and their replacements are gaining confidence. A dangerous club.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Does anyone else find it curious that Nichols never looked even close to as good as he did on the weekend when he was in Edmonton, and Reilly has mysteriously fallen apart since returning?

The common denominator has been the atrocious play calling and game planning. Although it was clear that Nichols was an average at best talent, the play calling still left a lot to be desired while here. Then he goes to a different offense and looks like Aaron Rodgers.

The playbook looks like they dusted Maciocia's off the shelf. Screen plays, 5-10 yard curl routes, and throws to the far sideline dominate. I'm not sure if they have a crossing route in the playbook. I don't think they have hit a receiver in motion in the last five games. Just way, way too vanilla and so easy to defend.

It was painful last week when the team had great field position twice early in the game and had zero killer instinct. We should have been up 14-0 early, but instead we decided to dink and dunk our way to field goals. Nearly (should have) cost us the game.

Bud, I've been preaching this to the choir and anyone else who'll listen since day 1. How McAdoo keeps his job is beyond me. It's not like we don't have some serious weapons out there. And our offensive line is back to being completely healthy and together.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Nichols didn't evade hardly any tackles here like he did on the weekend. He barely ever took off to move the yardsticks himself. The Nichols viewed in the second half is unlike his play here.

Because the player realizes his stint in pro football is nearly up.

This happens to players is they play better after a wake up call. Nichols, by his own accounts felt he played very well in Edmonton this year and that he contributed considerably to the team having a 5-2 start. Nichols was incredulous that the team cut him after that. He's been very barbed, even hostile about that. He's gone as far to say he should have tanked the last game against Winnipeg( looked like he was trying) and that it would serve the eskimos right.

His comments quoted in the paper on Friday were ridiculous. 2 of the wins were Franklin saves. The other was the D.

Nichols really wasn't bringing it here. It happens.

Reilly on the other hand is playing with a full leg brace with the type of injury that would keep a Nichols out all season.

Reilly is less than 100% and playing reasonably well. He really needs to be seeing some better protection though.

I'm still disappointed the D didn't plant Nichols head in the Investors Field turf.
Guy was trash talking the Esks all week.

It's unfortunate you were unable to watch the first half of the game.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It's unfortunate you were unable to watch the first half of the game.

They were lovetaps at best. Either that or I wasn't to see Nichols pummelled. Not many times where I would wish something like that but Nichols comments were trolling the esks org.

Guy sounds like a pos in his quotes.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
They were lovetaps at best. Either that or I wasn't to see Nichols pummelled. Not many times where I would wish something like that but Nichols comments were trolling the esks org.

Guy sounds like a pos in his quotes.

I'm surprised he got up after some of the hits. Got hit on pretty much every passing play in the first half.

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van
I see the CFL admitted they blew the PI call in the Bombers game during the broadcast last night. Q'uelle Surprise. The guy making the calls from the command center is Jake Ireland who's always seemed to have something against the Esks. Bet he keeps his job though.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I see the CFL admitted they blew the PI call in the Bombers game during the broadcast last night. Q'uelle Surprise. The guy making the calls from the command center is Jake Ireland who's always seemed to have something against the Esks. Bet he keeps his job though.

I don't know if it's that, it's that the CFL can't be honest about the state of their officials, and they fundamentally don't understand how perception works.

The flaw, which brought about the BS penalty is that if you look at the play enough times in slow-mo the original play that was on the field no longer exists, your mind replaces it with this slow-mo video, and thus one will make a terrible called based on false perception.

Now, replay is important and should be used, but used THAT much on one play will ALWAYS cause **** ups because human perception is quite prone to mistakes.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Wow, Is there some video out there of the CFL admittance? This is what I don't get is how do you blow a call when you have access to countless video angles, freezes, technology, countless time and you reviewed the same play 2 separate times.

The CFL admitting they screwed up on a play review that they reviewed twice is like saying the review system is seriously flawed.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't know if it's that, it's that the CFL can't be honest about the state of their officials, and they fundamentally don't understand how perception works.

The flaw, which brought about the BS penalty is that if you look at the play enough times in slow-mo the original play that was on the field no longer exists, your mind replaces it with this slow-mo video, and thus one will make a terrible called based on false perception.

Now, replay is important and should be used, but used THAT much on one play will ALWAYS cause **** ups because human perception is quite prone to mistakes.

Very good post Jimmi.

That's a really astute take on the perceptual bias that can occur in watching slo mo repeatedly is it biases the timescale of the real even in real time. It should be a requirement for the reviewers to also rewatch these plays in real time again prior to making the decision. The slo mo distorts their review of the event.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The mind boggling part is that some close reviews are decided on in 10 seconds, some it takes minutes. They have a bone head as the guy reviewing the plays, that is the biggest problem. He was a bone head ref, he was obviously not in favor of the system when he was still a ref and he's a terrible choice to make these decisions.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, watching the slow-mo replay I could accept that maybe it was pass interference. Willis might have been there a split second before the ball but once you see it again in real time it's just impossible to call it a penalty. There is no seperation between ball arrival and the hit in real time.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yeah, watching the slow-mo replay I could accept that maybe it was pass interference. Willis might have been there a split second before the ball but once you see it again in real time it's just impossible to call it a penalty. There is no seperation between ball arrival and the hit in real time.

Exactly, and that's the flaw in watching the Slow-mo over and over, it makes the actual play no longer exist in the viewer's mind.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Very good post Jimmi.

That's a really astute take on the perceptual bias that can occur in watching slo mo repeatedly is it biases the timescale of the real even in real time. It should be a requirement for the reviewers to also rewatch these plays in real time again prior to making the decision. The slo mo distorts their review of the event.

:laugh: Thanks kindly I was LONG overdue for one.

It's just a flaw they over look, it's the flaw that made this call a reality.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The point of the review process is to give clarity to a full speed situation.

No question, frankly I wouldn't be so hard on the CFL is they didn't have the Bud Steen apology tour every week after they **** up on the weekends.

I used to really like the segment, but it's a tough listen now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No question, frankly I wouldn't be so hard on the CFL is they didn't have the Bud Steen apology tour every week after they **** up on the weekends.

I used to really like the segment, but it's a tough listen now.

The one thing I would like to see change is for there to be some consequences around the ability to endlessly challenge DPI.

Maybe I am just not familiar enough with the ruling on this but it sure appears that the coaches can call as many as they want.
Its gotten to the point of being ridiculous.

They really need to reign that in...maybe considering deferring the 1st half time out (if its not used) to the 2nd half and then give a coach 2 opportunities to challenge DPI. If they lose a challenge they lose a timeout.
If they have no timeouts or use their timeouts then they cant challenge at all.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Wow, Is there some video out there of the CFL admittance? This is what I don't get is how do you blow a call when you have access to countless video angles, freezes, technology, countless time and you reviewed the same play 2 separate times.

The CFL admitting they screwed up on a play review that they reviewed twice is like saying the review system is seriously flawed.

I don't know if there is a video but in a news story CFL did admit its error.

And it's funny that people blast the CFL for its error (rightfully so) and say they'll go over to the NFL instead and then the NFL has a worse error. There is bad officiating in all pro leagues.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't know if there is a video but in a news story CFL did admit its error.

And it's funny that people blast the CFL for its error (rightfully so) and say they'll go over to the NFL instead and then the NFL has a worse error. There is bad officiating in all pro leagues.

Well I'm not switching to the NFL ftr. Not sure what that's about.

I like the CFL but these bizarre review outcomes often enough are critical decisions effecting games.

Most leagues are bad when it comes to command central. I think where they fail is in not providing additional training in how to best consider the resources at their disposal and how to use them properly while still reflecting real time what happened on the field judgement. For sure the flaw Jimmi pointed out contributed to this wrong call. The refs were biased by the slo mo. The Esks timing was PERFECT on the play. You can't time a hit any better than that. He gets the PI anyway...:shakehead

By my count the CFL Owes us several get out of jail cards over the years. But they're too busy making it up on lousy calls to other clubs to notice. Apparently the deal was the Bombers got jobbed by the officiating the week before and so the league is seemingly wanting to give them something the next game. Normally I would think a claim like that ridiculous. But in respect of how its going with this leagues officiating I really don't know.

They even mentioned it 2 times in the broadcast that the Bombers were getting favorable calls this week after an officiating debacle last week. Its kind of amazing that its so bad the broadcasters even call it out.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
And then there are the double reviews, such as the one last game, when they reviewed the play where the catch was reversed but they then reviewed for pass interference which was then called. I'm waiting for someone in that situation to throw another challenge flag disputing something else they saw on the field. A world gone mad, I say. As bad as all the lousy calls and non-calls and bad reviews are, it's becoming nothing but flags and timeout reviews for what already is a slow game to watch in the first place. It's getting hard to enjoy the thrill of a great play without the scepter of a referees flag or a challenge flag flying out more often than not. It's like you have to delay your emotions one way or the other for a few seconds until you're sure. Taking away a lot of the enjoyment of the game away for me.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
After watching the NFL **** the bed on Monday I don't fault CFL refs as much.

The NFL officials aren't perfect, but let's not forget there a lot more games played there on a weekly basis, and I think the CFL's ratio for screwups is far greater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad