Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Part 4: Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Dammit. Rhodes is here for 5 freaking more years? Sigh. Well, just keep him away from the players and I guess it's ok.

Yup. Dont have a lot of respect for Rhodes.
Opened his mouth with his uninformed opinion about Football ops one time too many IMO. Embarrassing.

If he could keep his mouth shut and stick to marketing that would be a major plus.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I don't have a problem with Rhodes, he was an epic disaster when he 1st started but it actually looks like he has learned as time has gone on.

The innocent little jab tweet has been blown WAY out of proportion.

DRAFT day today!

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I don't have a problem with Rhodes, he was an epic disaster when he 1st started but it actually looks like he has learned as time has gone on.

DRAFT day today!

I don't think it's inappropriate or anything.
I just think it's dumb for a team that gets their butt kicked every single game by Calgary to go quack quack quack.
they could have at least found something amusing to say, if nothing else.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm having a little trouble parsing the reasons for the Rhodes contract extension.

Presumably they considered that revenue had gone up and the team had 2M more profit than the previous year. But a large part of that would be the playoff date which made 1.3M and the TSN TV contract which adds an extra 2M.

Really what I'm seeing is Rhodes is somehow being viewed as being responsible for increasing the teams revenues and profits. Yet it states right in the link why the increases. Pretty weak justification for a contract extension for this guy. That said I'm more comfortable with him than the Esks firing him and giving another gig to the out of work Pat Laforge.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I don't have a problem with Rhodes either. Maybe he should have quashed the Ray trade, as has been said by some, but he was brand new on the job and just trusted the GM. It was more on Tillman.

It's also been charged that Rhodes is arrogant. He's not and is actually a totally nice guy.

He chooses to have no say in the on-field product. He stays on the business side and leaves the other stuff to Hervey.

Rhodes has learned a lot since joining the team and does things differently now than before.

Some have also said that the game-day entertainment and related things could be better. He's working on some things and you'll see changes in that regard.

It's also been said that they should have hired a former player for this kind of thing, but Rhodes runs the business side. The former player is here and he understands what it means to be an Eskimo and the on-field things.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I don't know if it will materialize but the Esks are trying to trade up to get the No. 3 draft choice tonight. Toronto owns that selection.

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton

DRAFT day today!

The Simpson's rocking the CFL draft coverage lol.

CE5kB18W0AAUXXC.jpg

https://twitter.com/CFL

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I thought this was interesting question about why Canadians are not interested in watching the CFL draft.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/c...re-interested-in-the-cfl-draft-182916340.html

I'll answer. I'm not interested and would never watch a televised draft any more than I would watch a draft order lotto pick proceeding.

Actually I'm surprised whenever people watch NHL Draft. Or any sports draft.

One of the reasons being is I'm a sports fan. I like watching sports, the actual sport. I have no interest in watching hours of contrived content designed specifically to get me to watch for some reason and consisting of long waits, boring talking heads, and more people coming up to the microphone and giving speeches than an Academy Awards which I would never watch either.

I'll read about who my team picked later. Which takes me 5minutes instead of 5 boring hours.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Esks got some decent prospects. The 2nd rounder was a bit of a reach on potential most people think. Our 1st rounder sounds like a potential day one starter at guard at least and perhaps moving to tackle in the future. First two picks olineman. A couple of LB's for special teams, another WR.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
We were trying to trade up to get Chris Ackie, a S/LB blend from Wilfrid Laurier, or Shuk Chungh a guard from Calgary. Ackie went fourth overall to Montreal and Chungh second to Winnipeg. Danny Groulx is a great player who some people had ranked No. 1 so he could turn out to be a steal.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I thought this was interesting question about why Canadians are not interested in watching the CFL draft.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/c...re-interested-in-the-cfl-draft-182916340.html

I'll answer. I'm not interested and would never watch a televised draft any more than I would watch a draft order lotto pick proceeding.

Actually I'm surprised whenever people watch NHL Draft. Or any sports draft.

One of the reasons being is I'm a sports fan. I like watching sports, the actual sport. I have no interest in watching hours of contrived content designed specifically to get me to watch for some reason and consisting of long waits, boring talking heads, and more people coming up to the microphone and giving speeches than an Academy Awards which I would never watch either.

I'll read about who my team picked later. Which takes me 5minutes instead of 5 boring hours.

agreed.
I actually went to the NHL draft once. what a boring waste of time.

can't wait for the CFL season to start, though. looking forward to sitting in the fresh air watching some football.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
The NHL draft is incredibly different than the CFL draft or even the NFL draft. First few picks in the NHL are potential superstars and likely within a few years. First few picks in the CFL draft are probably offensive linemen who while they may be the bedrock of your organization are rarely ever what you would call stars that the fans can get excited about.

I went to the draft in Edmonton and it was fun shouting out Doan and watching the Oilers screw it up. Once your team has picked though it quickly lost all excitement.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
agreed.
I actually went to the NHL draft once. what a boring waste of time.

can't wait for the CFL season to start, though. looking forward to sitting in the fresh air watching some football.

maybe its a generational thing. I just don't get the appeal. I think if one grew up playing drafting simulations and such the draft holds interest in that its somehow more interesting.

I won some playoff drafts in my time but about as far as I go with that kind of thing. Just give me hockey content in front of me and less commercials and I DEFINITELY change the channel or do something else between periods. Plus I never watch TSN which is basically "lets just talk about the NHL" at this point. :laugh:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The NHL draft is incredibly different than the CFL draft or even the NFL draft. First few picks in the NHL are potential superstars and likely within a few years. First few picks in the CFL draft are probably offensive linemen who while they may be the bedrock of your organization are rarely ever what you would call stars that the fans can get excited about.

I went to the draft in Edmonton and it was fun shouting out Doan and watching the Oilers screw it up. Once your team has picked though it quickly lost all excitement.

Infamous event that made it difficult for me to soldier on being a fan. I didn't actually go to it but just the awareness of it and seeing footage of it made me sick. A clear indication that this org had lost its mind.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I love the NHL draft. I'm up, make my coffee smoothie, maybe prep a bowl of cereal and I enjoy the first round or however long they televise it. Best part is the trade speculation and the trades.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Also sign Micheal Sam.

I hope he fails miserably. After the stink he put up last year in the NFL about being an outcast because he was gay I've had enough of him. The fact that he just outright sucked was the issue, now he's going to play victim card

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I hope he fails miserably. After the stink he put up last year in the NFL about being an outcast because he was gay I've had enough of him. The fact that he just outright sucked was the issue, now he's going to play victim card

I didn't like the fact he "wanted to be treated like any other player"
then he tried to bring his reality show along with him to training camp.

he should have said he wanted to be treated like any other fame W****.

that being said, I think he'll be better suited for the CFL game, and he'll do fine here.
doubt he'll make it back to the NFL, though.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I didn't like the fact he "wanted to be treated like any other player"
then he tried to bring his reality show along with him to training camp.

he should have said he wanted to be treated like any other fame W****.

that being said, I think he'll be better suited for the CFL game, and he'll do fine here.
doubt he'll make it back to the NFL, though.

Meh. While I'm sure he has a lot of belief in his ability, he was a late late draft pick, and those guys generally don't have long careers. So if Oprah calls your agent and offers up a million bucks to make a reality show, you take it every time.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Meh. While I'm sure he has a lot of belief in his ability, he was a late late draft pick, and those guys generally don't have long careers. So if Oprah calls your agent and offers up a million bucks to make a reality show, you take it every time.

then don't make a show of not wanting to be a distraction and wanting to be treated like everyone else, then.
you want to be on tv and be a multi-media star because you're the gay football player, own it. don't be a hypocrite about it. that's all.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
then don't make a show of not wanting to be a distraction and wanting to be treated like everyone else, then.
you want to be on tv and be a multi-media star because you're the gay football player, own it. don't be a hypocrite about it. that's all.

As far as I recall he made those comments about not being a distraction prior to getting the TV show. I can't remember really. But I'm just not gonna criticize a guy for getting paid, regardless of what he may have said. Once in a lifetime opportunity, take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad